THE ORVILLE - S1, E4: "IF THE STARS SHOULD APPEAR"...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Farscape One, Sep 28, 2017.

1. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Just watch it and see for yousrelf. For all intents and purposes it is. No, it's not going outright lo-fi like Kung Fury, but it's taking the stylistic conventions of the 80s and simply executing them with modern technology. You can call it more of an 80s revival in the same way Star Wars brought back conventions from the late 30s, the romantic swashbuckling style and the Korngold style soundtrack, but then added motion-control blue-screen photography.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Whatever you want to call it, I'm definitely enjoying the ride.

3. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never works with me, because during these seconds of filling out, I am 1. irritated, 2. questioning, 3. imagining, 4. trying to get back into the story. By showing the process, all these four steps dont happen and I stay in the story.

It's just lazy writing/producing and putting the blame for that onto the consumer of the product.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No, the "filling" in you're describing is a recipe for boredom and serves no good purpose beyond assuaging nitpicking. It's a good part of what killed 1987-2005 era Star Trek in the end.

This kind of elided storytelling moves the show along and asks for engagement from the audience - TOS did a great deal of it.

fireproof78, Ovation and BillJ like this.
  5. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Am I misunderstanding or you want to see everything play out in real-time? No time-compression whatsoever? That can't be the case because nothing works this way other than maybe American Graffiti and 24.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Ugh. That kind "show everything" approach to story telling is not only often mindnumbingly dull, it also implies the audience is a collection of idiots. I HATE having Everything. Spelled. Out.

The Nth Doctor and BillJ like this.
  7. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think, when it comes to time cuts, there's a certain art in how you set them up. They have to be intuitive for the viewer. You have to have enough context to draw from to fill in the blanks, or else you're left doing too much intellectual heavy lifting, and you end up loosing your suspension of disbelief. That's why I thought the scene needed a tad more lead in, where the captain and the doctor are standing there waiting as Issac approaches. It would have made the cut less taxing on the audience. That said, the cut didn't really bother me that much. It was clear what happened in the interim.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Even 24 largely cheated with the "real time" thing.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus it sure was convenient that despite the clock continuing to tick during commercials, nothing important happened then.

BillJ and Trekker4747 like this.
  10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Could you imagine, though?

7:48:50... 7:48:51... 7:48:52... 7:48:53...

:commercials:

7:53:35... 7:53:36... 7:53:37... 7:53:38...

"Jack! We heard over the phone The White House was just blown up 15 seconds ago!"

The Wormhole likes this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could you have had least misspelled something that post? ;)

Also, there seems to be less and less willingness to engage the material in any substantial way of any series.

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member