"The" or not

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by theblitz, Feb 27, 2018.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but just take a look at one of the earlier episodes where I think it's Tom Paris who refers to the ship as "the Voyager." It's just weird and awkward.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but that's a screencap from one of the Naked Gun movies, nice typeface choice for the hospital though... :D

3. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

I don't know how true it is, but I remember hearing somewhere that in the RW there is an element of British English v American English based on the full name of the ship in question.

Royal Navy ships are "Name", because they 'belong' to an individual. For example Her Majesty's Ship Queen Elizabeth (the new RN carrier)
    US Navy (and Coast Guard) ships are "the Name", because they 'belong' to a collective ie they are "The (United States' Ship) Name. For example the United States' Ship Wasp (the broadly equivalent LHD in US service.

Makes sense to me?

4. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually Excelsior was often referred to without "the" many times in the movies. ("With all respect, Doctor, I'm counting on Excelsior", "Contact Excelsior. She'll have the coordinates", "Excelsior's been hit!")

I believe that was true of Reliant as well, but I'm not breaking out my DVD's or sifting through YouTube clips to check.

I think Voyager was references with a "the" by Paris once in a very early episode (the second one, I think). I think it just sounds better in that case without the definitive article. As for Enterprise NX-01, it's just a simple way to distinguish it from the many, many other ships of that name.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to it.

5. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

Well, you don't.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

You're right - one of the lab techs said "Reliant's on her way" also using a proper pronoun with the proper noun). And Sulu said "Reliant in our quadrant..." (or something like that).

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yes, thanks for explaining the joke.

That always makes it funnier...

:shifty:

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Now I get it! ;)

1001001 likes this.
  9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We do when we refer to it as an object. I hung my plant over the television. The reason that people always said "the" radio is because unlike television, which is considered a medium first, (Like when we say I saw it "in print") the radio was always kind of conceptualized by people as an object in their home. The Shadow was produced in print, on film, on television & on radio, but people still said "the" radio

As for "the" with starships. They left it off with Voyager because not only did it reflect the name of the show Star Trek: Voyager, but "The" in front of it sounded lame, & I think that's because its too active a word, & to preface it with "the" stabilizes it too much, making it sound more official. Adventurer, Explorer, Challenger... If I were serving on anything named that, It would always be awkward to put "the" in front of it. No crowd ever chanted "The U.S.A."

The only exception I can think of is the Stargazer, & notice that it's mostly talked about in the past tense. Were I serving on it, calling it the stargazer would seem awkward as well

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Jokes are better with footnotes! :lol:

11. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Not the USCG (I'm a former USCG PO3). Served on USCGC Sundew (WLB-404).

When referring to the full name, refer to "USCGC Sundew", not "The USCGC Sundew".

When referring to just the ship name (Sundew), sometimes we called it "Sundew", some times we called it "The Sundew", sometimes we called it "the ship", sometimes we called it "the boat", sometimes we called it "this fucking rustbucket" (but in a loving way).

Prax likes this.
  12. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I am rewatching Parallax right now and about 30 minutes in Paris refers to Voyager as "The Voyager".

13. iliescu

iliescu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It depends if finding it normal or natural or how the feeling goes. Does not have to connect if the novel or scripture seems unnecessary.

14. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To the or not to the, that is the question.

Prax likes this.
  15. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I knew someone was gonna post that.

16. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starfleet is military or the military?

David cgc likes this.
  17. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe a quasi-nonmilitaristic military

"Remain Starfleet!":ouch: