The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

It's looking really good! Not sure why Zorn is shifted so far to the 'green' but I'm ok with that.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The starbase creature actually looks worse. You can see that it's basically a plate with frayed strings glued to it.

3. 22 Stars

I disagree, it looks a lot better, and now you can actually see they made one blue and one pink. As corny as it is, it was the intention of the show creators, and now it is clear.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sweeeeeet. Too bad the video wasn't in HD though.

5. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

This is going to be a long month ...

6. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first impression is that it still looks very soft. The effect shots have a lot more detail but the live action stuff still doesn't look that sharp to me. I do prefer the colour timing of the HD version.

Having said that, I suspect that softness is a result of the low resolution of the video on EW website, instead of a problem with the remastering.

7. 22 Stars

Yeah, that video isn't HD for sure and still looks pretty sharp for its res.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

My God, the colors! :eek:

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Oh, flesh tones and richly-colored uniforms, how I've missed you! :)

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I want to see uncompressed screencaps from the blu-ray, not long to wait though now, 7-14 days off from getting some actual uncompressed HD samples.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This looks great so far! It won't be long now!

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The colors are so much brighter in the new version. I wonder if that will lay to rest some complaints that TNG wasn't as visually interesting as its predecessor? It's certainly tempered my opinion of the series' photography.

13. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

The 'improved' shot where it comes out of the ground looks amazing- all the underside detail! Who knew?

14. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it appears that the HD giveth and the HD taketh away.

I'm beginning to be mildly curious in these just to see how the rest of the model and effects work holds up. That's the first stirrings of interest I've had in anything TNG-related in about 15 years, so there's a win for CBS.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

HD certainly exposes things that were meant to be invisible on the TV screen such as the make up covering the joins in Spock's ears.

16. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

We're already 20% through it.

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I was thinking the same thing. The farpoint aliens really do look like ropes stuck on some plates now. I think while this is an example where HD may give away some of the cheap FX shots, everything I've seen of the ship looks fantastic. TBH, most of the early stuff was pretty out there in terms of design. The Farpoint aliens are definately an example of this, Nagellum is another. The dustbuster phasers are certainly a WTF decision.

While the first two series may have been more out there when it came to the art, the budget and technology of the day really hurts them when it comes to HD, imo.

I really don't think it will be until the 3rd season where the show will really shine in HD. As everyone knows, that's really where they got their shit together when it came to the visual style of the show. The two piece uniforms, Cobra head phasers and Riker's beard really helped sell the illusion of the 24th century and add some detail to the world :p

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well then don't buy seasons 1 and 2 if they hurt your eyes. :)

19. 22 Stars

It will be hard to resist buying each season at it comes out, knowing that a series box set will follow.

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Didn't say they did, just pointing out a fact that seasons 1 and 2 are overall a cheaper, uglier affair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.