The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

When a regular sci-fi series becomes profitable enough to air on network television.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Or at least someone can make a pitch to convince a network exec that their spiffy new sci-fi series will be profitable enough for network television.

3. Squiggy

Given how the networks operate today, the chicken has to come before the egg.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It's coming soon, and it will be called STAR TREK: BEATING A DEAD HORSE.

5. Captain Robert April

Not necessarily. Granted, the one eternal rule in Hollywood is that nobody wants to be first, but everyone wants to be next, but the fact remains that somebody has to stick their neck out to prove to the rest that it won't get chopped off.

It's CBS move, since they own the thing.

6. Squiggy

And since CBS's modus operandi for the past 10 years has been "Acronymed Cop Show" and reality shows with a couple of hackneyed sit-coms thrown into the mix which the public laps up, they're not going to any time soon.

No one wants to be the next Enterprise or Heroes.

Here are the options.

1. First run on network. Not going to happen. NBC might try to buy the TV rights out of desperation since nothing else they put on ever works, but CBS would never sell it.

2. First run on syndication. Hasn't been successful since the mid-90s and there aren't any stations with the air time for it anyway.

3. Sci-fi. If it isn't horror, wrestling, or shitty low-budget reality show, they won't be interested. They wouldn't be able to budget enough for a serious series. Also, they're owned by Universal.

4. Some CBS owned cable network. Outside of movie networks... CBS only holds a 50% stake in CW, and that networks demographics would make a series as successful as Enterprise was on UPN.

Star Trek will only return to TV in the event of sci-fi being "cool", which would take a techtonic shift in the American perception of the genera. The momentum that gave us DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise has long since puttered out. TNG worked. The rest...not so much.

Hell, TOS didn't even "work".

7. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Interesting points. However, success is a relative thing. Nielson Ratings might have been dissapointing for much of Star Trek prime time broadcasting. But will anyone seriously deny that this franchise has been hugely profitable when one takes all lines of income it generates into account? I have always wondered why CBS bought the TV rights to Star Trek, because like you I could never see them produce a new series for one of its networks. Maybe the franchise is just a good cash cow and does quite well in that capacity on standby.

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CBS didn't buy the rights. Paramount bought Desilu and the Star Trek rights came with it. CBS and Paramount later merged and then were split. In that split CBS ended up with the Star Trek rights since it was a TV franchise and CBS was getting the TV side of the business.

But this is a thread about remastering TNG for HD. That is one project CBS is clearly spending money on to invest in Star Trek. So even if CBS doesn't see potential for a profitable live action series, they clearly see potential for profit in mining their back catalog.

9. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

7 more weeks! /spaz

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, it's apparently official. All 7 seasons with the first coming in late 2012.

11. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

^ Source?

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd like to know if they also mentioned that there'll only be one release per year.

13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is the full press release issued by CBS Home Entertainment:

14. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Nothing new there.

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

16. Captain Robert April

You seem surprised.

17. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

One release a year is too slow. Two at least!

(I am basing this on nothing except my own eagerness to buy)

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm eager also but I knew it would be a long term project...I look at it anther way...years and years worth of fresh STNG product to buy! Is that heaven or what? :lol:

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Hopefully they'll go to a two-per-year release schedule starting in 2013. Then the whole series would be out by the end of 2015. But one season per year is better than no seasons per year. :p

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I predicted a new series 10-12 years after Enterprise, so by the time STNG-R is all released, we'll be lined up nicely for a new series!:techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.