The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Doug Drexler just announced on his blog that both he and Dan Curry will join the remastering project tomorrow. :)

Jörg

2. Pseudo

Pseudo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both Tron and The Last Starfighter had done far more with CGI several years earlier. And while computer time costs would have been high at the time, it might well have been worth the money if it brought significantly more effective results than traditional methods.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^And the Q barrier in Encounter at Farpoint was a pretty basic looking effect even then, in other words it looked like crap.

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Wow i am surprised. This is the second best news a TNG fan could ask for since 2002 after the last TNG trek movie and the 7 seasons were released on DVD.
    1. TNG announced for HD remastering on Bluray
    2. The original effects creative crew doing the work.
    Even though they say they will use all original elements except where lost. They will improve on things where they ran out i time the first time around. Or where technology could not do it then. Of course they will.

This sounds like when the SE7EN movie had a DVD special edition in 2000 and the post production sound crew remixed the sound for home theater 5 years later and they mention on the commentary that they fixed things that they didn't have time for during the original theatrical mix.

For these VFX veterans though getting to revisit and correct problems on your work from 25 years ago must be a delight for them and of course their experience since only helps them do it more efficiently and with 20/20 hindsight of 7 years of experience with that show how many of the errors will be fixed for continuity. I think they will be receptive to TNG fans comments on the sampler disc in their work in 2012 for season 1 & 2 and beyond. So you have the link above. Write to mr. Drexler in February 2012 with the eye towards the rest of season 1's small changes and fixes they should do for the better o the show.

5. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

This has made my day! What a terrific piece of news and completely unexpected. After this I don't think we could ask for more proof that Paramount actually cares about TNG. They are bending over backwards to make this not just a commercial success but an artistic one. Cudos to them. If they end up charging $120 per season they will certainly have earned it and I will gladly pay them for a job well done.

6. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Couldn't agree more with you! :)

7. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fantastic news indeed! Thank you Paramount!

8. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

This is just awesome news! :) What a wonderful opportunity for some of the original team to come back and be involved in this ambitious restoration project. I hope they're able to tweak everything to perfection by the time the sampler is released.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Technically Drexler didn't do any VFX work on TNG - he did makeup on TNG, worked in the art department on DS9, and didn't move on to VFX until Voyager and Enterprise.

Regardless, his input will be welcome. :)

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why I've been printing hardcopies. I plan to wallpaper my bedroom with them.

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Hell, Amazing Stories did a fully CGI character even before TNG premiered. At least I'm pretty sure it was before TNG premiered. Next to the "Stained Glass Man," the Q "grid" looks pretty basic.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The way the Q net moves, I highly doubt it could have been created by conventional animation.

So... we will have a choice to view the remastered eps with and without updated SFX, great. My question is, how about the logistics of showing muddy videotape-created special effects on Blu Ray?

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That happened with TOS, where the effects were mostly replaced, but there the effects will mostly be left the same, just re-scanned in HD. I don't think it would be worth the effort to preserve a version of TNG with everything in HD except the effects. Has any official word about this been uttered as of yet?

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

???? :wtf:
    Animation is the art of making still images appear to move.

It could easily have been animated, but they decided to use CGI.

Heck, you remember all those vector graphics in original BSG? Those were cell animation. No cgi involved.

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Who said that was happening? The only reason they did that in TOS:R was because the effects were completely new CGI replacements, the effects going into TNG:R are the original filmed elements. It wouldn't make any sense to include a 'view the original' on blueray since it's the same effects but just in HD with some modern compositing enhancements.

16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

From Drexler's blog, linked above by gaghyogi49:

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So no chance of creating new cityscapes to replace that one effects shot that showed up a zillion times? Which even TOS-R did (re: "Wink of an Eye")? damn. :sigh:

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'll be interested to see how they handle this effect.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0_70d-KVe4[/yt]

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's nice to see that some people posted on Drexler's blog in favor of shaking up the graphics a bit, with Yesterday's Enterprise and Descent, Part II (surprisingly) being used as examples of where the motion control work was subpar. And all those people pointed out the whole "every other Starfleet ship is an Excelsior" thing too.

Hopefully Drexler communicates some of these concerns to the rest of the team.

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, I'd be open to them replacing a few of the ships.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.