The next "Next Generation"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Jul 23, 2019.

1. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

With Sir Patrick talking of only doing PIC for a few seasons, could the studio be looking at the rest of the cast to carry the show further as the "next generation" when Stewart steps down, assuming the show is successful? Of course, it would require a name change. What would you name it? Would you be into it if it starred only new faces, no vets except old side characters like Hugh who might now come to the forefront?

If "the girl" is a Picard and becomes star of the show, maybe a name change won't be necessary after all. But if we get a Star Trek: Pike, too, we'll have PIC and PIK to contend with.

2. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Stewart's said that there will be "2 or 3" years. I'm assuming that means Beyer & Chabon & company have the story all planned out but didn't yet know if it would take 20 episodes (2 seasons) or 30 episodes (3 seasons) to tell. I think Star Trek: Picard will come to a definitive end, but it wouldn't shock me if some of the more popular characters are then spun off into their own show if Picard is successful.

So, kinda. But I don't think it will be a strict continuation. More like if Saavik and Carol Marcus got their own series after the movies wrapped up.

Lance and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I suppose that would depend on how the audience feels about that cast. If they love them, sure, why not. If they hate them, look for them to be suddenly classified and whisked 1,000 years into the future.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

My answer is unfortunately going to be pretty boring. I think Picard will end after Picard's time on the show has run its course. If the other characters continue, I think it would be in the first season of a new spin-off under a new premise. I have no idea what they'd call it. If they're still on the same ship, maybe they'd name it after that.

5. Oz Trekkie

Oz Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do you really believe that? If no one liked Discovery they would just stop making it. They are only going to make shows that make them a profit which means people have to watch it. Obviously there were enough people watching seasons 1 and 2 to make a 3rd.

6. Oz Trekkie

If we really are getting a Star Trek Universe now there is no reason that Picard can’t run for three seasons and a new show or shows be developed.

Making it a real Star Trek Universe!

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I take it you didn't realize I was making a joke. I'll add a smiley next time.

Tim Thomason, antinoos and Oz Trekkie like this.
  8. Oz Trekkie

:techman:

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After Picard's valiant death saving the galaxy from the Romulan-Borg-Pakled plot being masterminded by an incognito Lore (spoilers), they'll rename the ship the USS Picard, and it will retroactively become the fifth series named for the vessel our heroes live in.

10. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know what, I think that is either a terrible idea... or an amazing one. I don't think it can fit at any point in between.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It'll end up like Marvel. So much intermingling and crossover, the actors themselves won't be able to keep up with which series' they've been a part of.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Or a winky

13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I see it, there's two possibilities:
    • If the other new characters on Picard are popular enough, CBS might decide to basically continue the show with his crew, but without him. Obviously it means a new name, but fundamentally it might be a linear continuation - particularly if the writer's room remains untouched.
    • On the other hand, they might decide to replace Picard with Star Trek: Seven of Nine or another popular Berman-era character who is still reasonably young and able to lead a 24th/25th century show.

Qonundrum likes this.
  14. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek: Bashir, M.D.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we're going to start throwing random 90s era characters at the wall, my vote goes for Jake.

There's a lot of potential there for something way different.

16. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 1 finale: Picard is shot after exposing the bad guy (Admiral Nechayev) who had teamed up with Romulans to hide the presence of liberated Borg drones as cannon fodder and mining slaves. The crew escape from Nechayev's Warbird by hiding in the long-thought dormant Bajoran Wormhole, where they are greeted by the Prophet Sisko.

Season 2: Star Trek: Sisko - the crew convinces Sisko, in a trippy premiere episode, the value of humanity again, and he swallows up and destroys Nechayev's evil fleet and joins the crew after depositing them outside of Earth. Together they learn that the Nechayev conspiracy goes further than the Romulans, and involves a secret alliance of Klingons (RIP Chancellor Worf) and Cardassians. Sisko, reporting this conspiracy to Starfleet C-in-C, Fleet Admiral Riker, is destroyed by the use of the Orb of Peace, and he places one of his fellow conspirators onto the ship: former Admiral Kathryn Janeway.

Season 3: Star Trek: Janeway - Janeway quickly reveals the plot, in private, to Annika, and the fact that she's a double agent working to take down Fleet Admiral Riker. Being sent on missions by Riker of ill-repute, she struggles with his orders and maintaining her deep cover. With the help of Dahj and Annika, Janeway discovers that Riker is actually long-dead and replaced by Tom Riker - a mole of the Cardassian Union under the auspices of Prefect Garak. She reveals this, the murder of Sisko, the entire conspiracy, and all, to Jake Sisko who publishes the record galaxy-wide.

Season 4: Star Trek: Archer - it's the dawn of the 25th century. After exposing a massive conspiracy among four grand polities (Klingon, Romulan, Federation, Cardassian), Janeway has gone into hiding with Annika somewhere in the Delta Quadrant, and Chris Rio and his crew have to navigate the economic and societal collapse of the Alpha Quadrant powers. The Bajorans secede, followed quickly by the Andorians, Denobulans, Vulcans, and Caitians. Then an "Earthexit" vote is approved, and United Earth attempts to secede from the UFP. These developments are frowned on by a shadowy elite, who use a "time capture" to kidnap and clone UFP founding father Jonathan Archer from a speech on the cusp of his 2184 Presidency. Archer is confused and finds himself onto Rio's crew as they must fight several factions seeking to use the time clone for their own agenda in the Federation Civil War.

Abi Smith and SpocksOddSocks like this.
  17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I think you may have just laid out the Trek Novel-verse for 2021.
    :rommie:

18. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Yes. And no.

If Star Trek: Picard is successful, you might see a movement to have all future Trek projects be set in the same frame as Picard as a way to utilize and expand on the worldbuilding of the show.
    You might even see the Discovery crew eventually wind up in the late 24th/early 25th Century as we know at some point they abandon the Discovery. Hey, nobody said the Section 31 show has to be set in the mid 23 century! It could easily be set in the 2400's, with Georgiou as the new leader.

But based on everything said about the project in interviews and panel discussions with the cast, and due to the fact that Picard's new crew isn't Starfleet, I think when the show wraps, that'll be it for the characters. Doesn't mean they won't pop up in a future Trek, but I'm under the impression that this is Picard's final chapter, and nothing else.

Qonundrum likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Naomi Wildman

Midquest, SpocksOddSocks and eschaton like this.
  20. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Just waiting for Star Trek: Multiverse. Worf opened up that can of worms on his way back from the bat'leth tournament. With the subtitle "The Mirror Universe was just the beginning..."

fireproof78 likes this.