The New USS Discovery....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by stueyross, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bridge dome looks like R2-D2

it is certainly lacking less detail compared to ships older then it.

2. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's plenty detailed, but it's a far simpler shape overall, and it isn't covered in scaffolding, antennae, and other bits and bobs like that old destroyer. Most of that has been miniaturized and/or placed within the hull.

Psion likes this.
  3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

This reminds me of something. I think I've read about something similar a little while ago but I can't quite place it...

Psion and Jesse1066 like this.
  4. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ok, fair enough. Budget and intentional design aesthetics, reflecting '60's thinking :)

Jesse1066 likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's actually reflective some of the rockets from older science fiction. The idea of the sensitive instruments could be damaged from things like solar flares, and radiation. Very much present in the some of the ideas of the Enterprise.

6. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

I think the Zumwalt is somewhat a poor example because the negative steven is a design that associated with pre WW2 ships, it is only in recent years that is has made a comeback. Similar to how the Akira class is similar to the NX class. ;)

Psion likes this.
  7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh? I thought I was hip to all the nautical terms! Did you mean 'negative stern'? And by that did you actually mean 'negative bow' to describe the stern-swept angle of the bow?

8. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

Like Civil War Ironclads.

9. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

And it still looks more advanced than the TOS ship. So much more advanced.

Edit: Thid is also not a really honest comparison. The ship above is a stealth design that will only have 3 ships as the class was canceled.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Heh, that is a very very quick model and render made after seeing the premiere announcement poster. The bridge area is just a quick bodge job like all the rest of it. Hell, the front of the Secondary hull is completely bare because I don't have a clue what it looks like.

The Librarian and Mirror Mirror like this.
  11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure it is, the reason it was cancelled is because of how expensive they were, and that was because of how state of the art they are. Which was the whole point, the most advanced ship the navy has is smooth on the outside. Plus, that one was commanded by Captain James A. Kirk until last year.

12. Mirror Mirror

No, it was smooth because of it being stealth not simply "more advanced" and the TOS ship is clearly not a stealth ship. Its simply primitive and lack of detail is do to its age and the 60's influence, its not advanced looking at all.

13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Try a Type 45 destroyer (HMS Daring) and a the similar weight York-class cruiser (HMS York), or even the Type 42 destroyer (HMS York)

14. Jesse1066

[​IMG]
    Smooth seems to work okay for the other franchise. And I don't think a chrome yacht is a stealth ship.

15. Mirror Mirror

Smooth is not in and of itself the issue. Its the lack of detail, combined with the easily dated 60's styling and its rather primitive hallmarks. It was the first ship designed, the design was refined and such after so its always gonna look the most primitive, because linage wise it is.

The ship you show here, is not old looking, it has some of those retro styling SW is known for, but its not easily marked by era. I would not be opposed to a TOS ship redesign that was sleek in this manner, although that would make anything post TOS no longer fit.

Personally, I would rather a TOS Connie look more like this
    [​IMG]

Its a bit dark, and I would lighten it more personally, but its a good mix and closer to what comes later.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. Jesse1066

Gabe Koerner's Enterprise. There's a lot I like about it, but I never much liked the secondary hull or the neck. Or the hoods and glass panels over the nacelles. And it would look better painted battleship gray. Aw heck, you already know how I'd like it to look from 16 pages ago. I don't think it needs parts of the hull extruded/intruded to look more modern. This shape is mostly fine otherwise (my reaction when I first saw it almost a decade ago was more extreme). I guess my biggest issue is with the hoods on the nacelles. They look a little too phallic for my tastes.
    Edit: I really like the look of Vektor's Enterprise, though I wouldn't mind if the secondary hull and saucer were more refit shaped.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Psion likes this.
  17. Mirror Mirror

Its a better texture, but the shapes and such are still to primitive IMO, it still screams 1960 and it can't do that. I think the refit would be a fine replacement for the TOS era ship anyhow, its still the Enterprise, but it lacks so many of the dead give aways of the TOS ship. Someone is gonna be upset no matter what they do,.

Oh and I agree with you on the hood for the Koerner ship. One of the issues I had with the JJ ship as well, not as much as the freaking neck placement though, that just bugs the living gods out of me. Could have been a decent ship, but gods that just , ugh.

Jesse1066 likes this.
  18. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

For the record, being stealth means being more advanced, obviously. :rolleyes:

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I admire Gabe's work generally, but there's not much I like about that ship.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That has been one my favorite redesign concepts, but I agree that lighter would be nicer :)

Yes.