The Most Overrated Movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Caligula, Apr 17, 2012.

?

Which one?

1. TMP

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. TWOK

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. TSFS

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. TVH

20 vote(s)
    21.5%
  5. TFF

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. TUC

9 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. GEN

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. FC

20 vote(s)
    21.5%
  9. INS

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. NEM

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    from what I've seen on these boards, it's TMP. Not a particularly highly rated one elsewhere, but a lot of folks here seem to think it was some kind of landmark of cerebral sci-fi.

Instead, it was a slow, special effects showcase with a thin plot partially ripped off from a TOS episode.

I have no idea when the revaluation of this movie started, resulting in its improved reputation, but to me, it fights it out with INS at the bottom of the movie list.

3. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

If I had to guess, it would be that it started around the time of the release of the Director's Cut DVD, with all the revamped special effects.

Interesting poll results so far. :techman:

4. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny, but I actually don't mind the "wind and a nod" approach to the timeline issue in TVH. It's like they're essentially saying, "hey, we just want to make a fun movie and not get all bogged down with technical stuff." In fact, I recall Harve Bennett on the DVD saying Scotty and McCoy's exchange about "how do we know he didn't invent the thing" was their way of just sidestepping the whole issue.

Which I'm fine with. "A Piece of the Action" certainly didn't take itself as seriously as, say, "The City on the Edge of Forever." And neither does TVH take itself as seriously as, say, TMP. But I can overlook the issues and just have fun with it.

5. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, but I'd guess that some of this has to do with the perception, started with the TNG movies and continued into Abrams Trek, and correct or not, that the Trek movies had started to descend into mindless action flicks devoid of serious sci-fi or other drama. TMP was kind of the polar opposite of that type of film.

6. sonak

Well yeah, I'll agree with that much. Whatever it's issues, TMP is not a mindless action film.

7. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I voted for First Contact, sure, best of the TNG films (i guess) but that isn't saying much. Why does that lame zero gravity scene get a pass? It was slow, corny, predictable and slow (did i say that already?)

8. david lowbridge

david lowbridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i voted for TFF. As if anyone rates that film at all, it is overrated imo. its the only film I skip now when I watch the films straight through.

9. Commander Riker

Commander Riker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wrath of Kahn. Its only considered to be really good because TMP was really bad. Its also the start of the 2 movie TOS arc.

10. 22 Stars

I resemble this remark :) I couldn't vote for it being overrated though as it is blatantly sub par and everyone knows it.

11. Trekkie2

Trekkie2 Commander Red Shirt

Without a doubt, The Wrath of Kahn. There were so many WTF's and WTH's in this movie, they covered for the fact that it really wasn't that good. The only part worth watching was Spock's death, which unfortunately lead to one of the worst trek movies made.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This.

13. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's an absolutely horrendous joke of a movie, and it baffles me that people are capable of taking it, or its main villain, seriously. Needless to say, it gets my vote. Even without the hype, it's a neck and neck among TWOK, TFF, and INS for the worst movie.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I voted the same, and mostly agree. Concerning movies that are critically rated, I'd argue that Star Trek: First Contact was rather well received among critics when it was released, although it doesn't seem to have had the lasting power of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in critical memory.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Premium Member

TMP. Remembering very clearly back to '79, the hype and expectations I had for the film before going into the theatre was directly opposite of how I felt leaving the theatre.

16. 22 Stars

I remember that feeling too, and is why it is not over rated by most people. It is actually poorly rated by most.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral

By that rationale, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace would be over-rated. Instead, both are just viewed as disappointing (but I'd take TPM over TMP).

18. sonak

that was the case for a long time, but now there's a lot of re-evaluation of TMP going on, and some higher regard for it. It's pretty baffling to me, as it's a movie that seems to get worse over time, not better.

19. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't consider any of the Trek movies to be rated so highly over its stature to even be considered overrated.

Only one I might give the overrated honor to isn't on the list, and the subject of its own forum.

20. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Most overrated at present: TVH. But at least Nimoy got a brief directing career out of it, moving on to the massive hit Three Men and a Baby (which I presume is unwatchable today, but not his fault if so).

Most overrated upon release: TMP (see below).

Not overrated, in my opinion: TWoK. Any flaws it had were offset during its first minute, with the use of A. Courage's fanfare, which said (better than anything else could have) "We're doing it right this time." The resulting cheers were mostly from audience members who'd been prepared to be just as excited about TMP, saw it in December 1979, and eventually (perhaps after several weeks and a second viewing, as in my case) found themselves dissatisfied and wondering whether they'd been sucked in by the hype surrounding the picture's release - which, where I lived (Philadelphia), included a major Roddenberry-worshiping cover story with color photos and a cover painting of Roddenberry in the Inquirer's Sunday magazine.