The Most Generic DS9 Episode...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Farscape One, Mar 14, 2019.

?

Which is the most generic DS9 episode?

1. PAST PROLOGUE

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. THE CIRCLE

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE
    THE SIEGE
    THE ALTERNATE
    THE MAQUIS, PART II
    THE COLLABORATOR

'TIL DEATH DO US PART
    WHEN IT RAINS...

"TIES OF BLOOD AND WATER" is... untied. Kira mentally tortures an old man whom she has every reason to be grateful to and even compromises her mission in the process. This episode shows Kira as a horrible harpy that is incapable of empathy, then again, what else to expect from someone who almost killed her own mother and left her agonizing dad to die alone!!!

2. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I LOVE "Ties Of Blood & Water"! Emotionally devastates me every time, I'm so with Kira on that journey.

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE
    THE SIEGE
    THE ALTERNATE
    THE COLLABORATOR

'TIL DEATH DO US PART
    WHEN IT RAINS...

"THE MAQUIS, PART II" It's the thematic re-pilot of the series, one of the key pivot points. Sisko's famous speech to Kira about how easy it is to be a saint in paradise becomes the new mission statement for the show. This is when DS9 turns from re-enacting Trek tropes to deconstructing them, which will be the focus for the remainder of it's run.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

De gustibus non disputandum.

Sakonna likes this.
  4. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE
    THE SIEGE
    THE ALTERNATE
    THE COLLABORATOR

WHEN IT RAINS...

"'TIL DEATH DO US PART" passes away. Double meaning for that title, it applies both to Ezri who feels an affiliation to Worf (through Dax) and may pay that with her life and Sisko and Kassidy who are married by the end of the episode and that Sisko may also pay with his life given the warning of his prophet mother. Definitely the least generic of the few episodes left.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE
    THE SIEGE
    THE ALTERNATE

WHEN IT RAINS...

I have uncovered "The Collaborator". Trippy orb experiences, learning more about Bajoran Occupation history, Kira helping Vedek (but not for much longer) Winn to prove her boyfriend's innocence only to prove that he did the wrong thing for the right reason (or did he?). The not-necessarily-unexpected-but-nevertheless-unwelcome ascension of Winn to the Kaidom, something that will inform the rest of the series. It's a fine companion piece to "In the Hands of the Prophets".

6. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE
    THE SIEGE

WHEN IT RAINS...

"THE ALTERNATE" is opposed. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde changeling version. First encounter (on the show) of Odo and Dr. Mora, first Odo detests Dr. Mora and then after several disputes, they develop an appreciation for each other. Mora promises that he'll be a part of Odo's life from now on... This will make you feel like "Deja vu" when it will happen AGAIN in "The Begotten" several seasons later!!!

7. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE
    THE SIEGE

"WHEN IT RAINS...", it pours itself off this list. This is another more setup episode, as it does so for the second half of the final DS9 arc.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

PAST PROLOGUE

THE CIRCLE

Removing The Siege. At least...stuff happens in the ep.

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I propose that we vote for the remaining two just as we did for the other series.

10. Farscape One

I have posted the poll for the last two episodes, "PAST PROLOGUE" and "THE CIRCLE".

I'll keep it up for about a week before declaring the 'winner'.

No matter which one is picked, I feel like I am a winner for being able to read all these wonderful thoughts on the various eliminations... and the fact DS9 was whittled down to these final two episodes so quickly tells me this series gets a lot of love, and quite deserved, too.

11. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I've voted for Past Prologue as it has the merit of introducing Garak to us, a great recurring character of the series!

Erratum: I just realized my mistake and changed my vote for... the other one... I can't even remember its title, that's a sign!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Farscape One likes this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I voted for Past Prologue simply because it’s hard to remember anything that happens in the ep besides Garak showing up.

It’s one of those Bajoran being stubbornly moronic eps.

13. Farscape One

Both are generic to me, but "PAST PROLOGUE" has the saving grace of introducing one of THE best characters in the franchise, Garak.

So I voted for "THE CIRCLE".

Discofan likes this.
  14. X24actor

X24actor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Past Prologue was... Plain and simple. I voted for it. I remember enjoying The Circle arc because it was the first three parter ever.

15. Farscape One

Wow. It is tied so far. There's still a few more days of voting to go before a 'winner' is declared.

I'm excited to see the results!

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed these threads. It's too bad that there isn't anything left. I don't think that many people have seen the animated series...

17. Sakonna

I voted for "The Circle." As a middle part of an arc, it really blends -- I remember events specifically in "The Homecoming" and "The Siege", but it's hard to remember what's happening in "The Circle."

"Past Prologue" distinguishes itself with one of Trek's gayest moments -- Garak meeting Bashir.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say gayest unless you discount both Discovery AND female gayness, IE Garak and Bashir never kissed.

19. Sakonna

True, but we did get to see Garak appearing in Bashir's quarters in the middle of the night in "Cardassians", and it was CLEARLY a regular thing.

(I'm joking, mostly. I know, beyond Andrew Robinson's "Past Prologue" performance choices, that Garak was never otherwise explicitly intended to be gay/bi by anyone else making the show. Still, he was stylistically gay AND awesome in a way I really clung to as a kid!)

20. Farscape One

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this.

At first, I thought it was going to end in a tie. But it seems one episode DID get a final vote for 'Most Generic Episode' of DEEP SPACE NINE...

And it is "PAST PROLOGUE"!

I want to thank everyone who took part in this game. It was a lot of fun, and I was thrilled to see the turnout and how quickly it was whittled down to the end.

And with this series over, that concludes the "Most Generic Episode" games for this year. I think we dan do this every couple years, like we do with the "Most/Least Disliked Episode" threads.

Thank you all again!