The Most Disliked Episode of DS9 - Season 4...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Farscape One, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:beer: What can I say -- I'm on a Lwaxana binge! Yesterday was "Menage A Troi", today is "Half A Life", tomorrow might even be "Cost Of Living"... :bolian:

2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's all more proof how vast IDIC can be. We both quoted the same article, if not same line (I read it and might have thought about it when mentioning it earlier but I might not have quoted it, I didn't scroll up) but had different perceptions of it. Dax would be the closest character to a direct LGBTQ character as such and as show. And it's sci-fi, allowing so many more facets and avenues to take than the bland obvious.Which makes her more interesting than any other character on the show, given Trill complexity.

And you raise a good point now that you're having me think about it, the other characters were having enough dialogue so we got the hint they were hetero FWIW. Didn't mean I cared any more or less than Bashir was an incel since nobody wanted to be with him* or anything else. We didn't see too much devoted to Sisko either, and he got the most with his girlfriend over the years but they didn't make dozens of entire episodes devoted to their love live. You are still right, there is no reason for the same light touch to be applied to nonheterosexuals (like what I already said about Troi and Will earlier, it's the same thing and for whatever reason they didn't fathom the possibility at the time, and - for real - you've never had a time when something was, as the phrase said, "hidden in plain sight"? It's part of human nature because real life isn't a script. Unless you believe in predestination theory but I digress.)

Personally, I just don't hinge what I like in a TV show based on who they're screwing and the show had bigger things to tell. I Ben and Lisa were implied sitting in a tree, they didn't dwell on it and had they thoughtr about it more they could have brought in someone else who had an offscreen relationship-- wait, I wrote that in the previous post so back to the point: It's okay some do but not all of us, L,G,B, T, H, Q, etc, watch TV just for who's in a token relationship and the hetero ones aren't always compelling to the audience as well. That doesn't mean, had they thought about it (going back again to the other point I already said), including a gay couple with the same level of consideration. I just don't know too many people who cling to Sisko/Lisa and not watch the show for any other reason. Let's say Miles and Julian were bi. I'm not going to watch if that's all the show is about. Indeed, Julian could be bi. Miles can be bi and married to a closed relationship with a woman. Big woop. Again, IDIC prevailing. I don't need the scripts to tell me anything, sci-fi allows us a little freedom - hence the creation of slash fic way back then for those who thought it would fun, whatever. And there's nothing wrong with platonic friendships or family-sans-having-sex-to-fight-the-notion-it-'s-only-about-sex as well. There are numerous avenues not even being brought up.)

* oh, wait, was that the narrative they're trying to sell?! Actually, no, but incel is described as a diminutive of "involuntary celibate", which is about a person who is unable to get coitus. Unlike "voluntary celibates", who choose not to seek out or turn it down. Anything beyond those base definiitons is a new facet and subdivision entirely.

3. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

The Odo and Lwaxana portions of The Muse were good because those characters worked so well together but the Jake storyline was awful. Crossfire just had that nice Odo and Quark scene. Nothing else was that great in the episode.

4. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

This was the episode that got rehooked on DS9 back in '96. Great direction, great guest stars, and a good dynamic between Worf and Sisko.