The Mirror War

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Most, if not all all comic franchise are guilty of this at some point.

I was reading Superman: Year One, and it had the engine block of a Star Wars Nebulon-B Frigate being using as alien starships. There were also Trade Federation battleships being used as mining vehicles.

Some recent Star Wars comics have been tracing fan art, and I don't mean fan art of already existing Star Wars ships, but fan made designs. I also saw Atlantis from Stargate Atlantis in one issue, kitbashed with a bunch of other designs.

In one of the Kelvin Timeline comics, there were Orion ships that were the Battlestar Galactica with Stargates sticking out of their rear.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 12:06 AM
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can understand using a reference, but you'd think they would at least try to not be that obvious with it.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somehow comic book artists managed for decades without doing it. Or ar least were far more subtle about the times they did. Why is it so common now? Tight deadlines plus Google Image Search is preferable to imagination?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the contrary -- comic book artists have been swiping other artists' work since the very beginnings of comics in the 1930s, tracing character poses, panel compositions, and the like. Artists like Bob Kane, Jack Kirby, and Joe Simon all swiped from the great comic strip artists Alex Raymond (Flash Gordon) and Hal Foster (Prince Valiant) on a regular basis, and swiped from each other as well:

http://silverfoxlair.blogspot.com/2017/12/bob-kane-part-two-swiper-comical.html

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/effect/2018/01/27/looking-for-the-awesome-14/

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-swipe-homage-difference/ (first page of 2)

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

"Talent borrows, genius steals, and Doctor Who writers get it wholesale off the back of a lorry, no questions asked." -- Ben Aaronovitch :)

This is applicable to more than just Doctor Who. :)

ATimson and Daddy Todd like this.
  6. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The recently released Die!namite Lives #5 zombie apocalypse crossover comic clearly shows Klingon birds-of-prey on the last page.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not exclusive to comics, old Star Trek covers have featured Vipers from Battlestar Galactica and even the Galactica herself.

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

TNG Ghost Ship had the Galactica. What novel had the Vipers?

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Romulan Way.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Thank you! I remember that now.