The Mirror Universe storyline and small-universe syndrome

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by lawman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nog was pretty much the only Ferengi I could stand. I did enjoy stories involving him, with or without Jake.

I suppose I don't have much patience for stories that are ruminations on faith, though, as "faith" is a mental concept I simply can't relate to. Never have. I'm a skeptic by nature.

(Which is one more reason I'm less than wholeheartedly optimistic about where DSC is promising to go in its second season, as I can't imagine the show handling any "science vs. faith" themes with anything more than wishy-washy let's-offend-nobody blandness...)

Longinus likes this.
  2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

OF COURSE lawman doesn't like Quark.

ozzfloyd, Ceridwen and eschaton like this.
  3. lawman

"Of course"?

I mean, sure, I just said I don't. But what exactly makes you say that?...

4. MakeshiftPython

I've met your MU counterpart, and you're not at all like him.

5. lawman

6. MakeshiftPython

He's good at taking a ribbing, for one. :P

7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's making a joke about your handle, and Quark's dislike of legal authorities.

8. MakeshiftPython

Lord Garth likes this.
  9. lawman

Ah. Thank you. Hate it when I have to have a joke explained. :weep: But I guess that just doesn't stick in my memory as one of Quark's defining characteristics. (I mean, obviously he was always at odds with Odo, but I took that to be more of a personal antagonism...)

FWIW, I didn't like Quark because I just don't think he worked as a character. First, like any Ferengi, one of his main thematic purposes was to serve as a satirical critique of capitalism. But that fell flat because it wasn't sharp or biting; it was just too broad... Quark was so obsessed with money he made a Wall Street hedge fund manager look like an exemplar of modesty and moderation.

The same over-broadness interfered with his additional purpose as a source of comic relief. He simply wasn't funny. That brand of humor conflicted too egregiously with the overall tone of the show, and induced cringes rather than laughs. (It's not that the show didn't have room for humor; it just needed a different style, something more clever and sly. Bashir, for instance, was often very amusing.)

10. MakeshiftPython

I find Quark to be charming in a roguish way, and he never felt tonally off with the show. For instance, "In the Pale Moonlight" doesn't feature Quark in the same comedic manner as a Quark-centric episode often would. He's still a comic relief, but more calibrated to the tone of the episode that's very fitting.

An example of DS9 being tonally off probably goes to "Life Support". I actually like that episode, but the A and B plots couldn't be more mismatched than anything else.

cultcross likes this.
  11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Quark got abused by the writers on occasion, but generally speaking I really liked the character. His interaction with Odo is a real highlight of the early seasons. I also liked how he became affected by the Federation values over time but as soon as he realised that, he rejected them entirely. He's a rare example of an alien who doesn't adapt once he sees the humans are just better.

ozzfloyd, eschaton and fireproof78 like this.
  12. lawman

Humor is a very personal thing, I have to admit. For instance, some people think the Marx Brothers are funny, and some people think the Three Stooges are funny, and there's not a whole lot of overlap in that Venn diagram.

(FWIW, I'm a Marx Brothers person through and through...)

Greg Cox and Lord Garth like this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love both.

14. lawman

Oh, sure, be the one in the middle!... :D

15. fireproof78

I will break your curves and diagrams even if it kills me!!!

;)

16. MakeshiftPython

Just goes to show that things aren't as simple as black and white.

May explain how one has the ability to reconcile the different visual styles of TOS and DSC.

Ceridwen likes this.
  17. fireproof78

That's impossible ;)

MakeshiftPython likes this.
  18. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, that's an ontological scenario: Burnham is only here in the first place BECAUSE her duplicate is the Emperor's adopted daughter, and BECAUSE the guy who lead the insurrection had the hots for her. If Burnham had been just an ordinary (if talented) underling in the MU, Lorca wouldn't have bothered to bring her along in the first place.

cultcross and gblews like this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's a spectrum: The Marx Bros trump Abbott & Costello who trump Laurel & Hardy who trump the Stooges. Not sure where Harold Lloyd fits in.

(Couldn't figure out how to do "greater than" signs on my keyboard.)

lawman likes this.
  20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah.

The premise of "Mirror Mirror" is, in so many words, that, because of the accident caused by the ion storm, the transporter beam tunneled through to a universe that was similar to Kirk's home universe at that time. The degree of similarity guaranteed the existence of counterparts.

A universe in which counterparts for both those involved in transposition as well as everyone they personally know also exists with very small but non-vanishing probability, even as a historical development from the MM universe a century later. We can presume that the method of crossing over selects it non-randomly from the multiverse because of its similarity.

/Treknobabble ;)

Longinus and Ceridwen like this.