Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
IIRC, this was supposed to be set before Secret Invasion and the Skrull refugees actions there were in response to what happened here.

Watched this last night. Meh. Was reasonably fun in the moment, looked good, but brought almost nothing new to the table. Would have been more impressive/fresh if it was among the first half dozen MCU movies but, as number 20-ish? Meh.

I will read the rest of the thread in due course (have gotten to about P6 so far). This was, due to a combination of factors, only the second MCU film I missed in the cinema (Quantumania was the first). I had really wanted to like Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel, but was so-so on both. But I really enjoyed this one. It was just a lot of fun, frequently made me laugh and smile in a way that a lot of Marvel stuff has failed to do lately. The visuals were a lot simpler and more pleasant than the mess that was Quantumania and it had a sensible running time than most films do now.

I had managed to main almost totally unspoiled for this and so the various cameos were a total surprise to me. Really looking forward to them being followed up on.

This one really deserved to do better at the box office and I hope it finds an audience on Disney+.

This one really deserved to do better at the box office and I hope it finds an audience on Disney+.

From what I've gathered, many who have watched it on D+ have been very positive about it, so I think it's safe to say that people are enjoying it a lot.
However, I can only hope that Brie Larson isn't put off by the low box office numbers and constant negative commentary from small minded men who are hurt in their ego's because of a strong female character. I like both the character and the actress and hope that she has a future in the MCU.

From what I've gathered, many who have watched it on D+ have been very positive about it, so I think it's safe to say that people are enjoying it a lot.
However, I can only hope that Brie Larson isn't put off by the low box office numbers and constant negative commentary from small minded men who are hurt in their ego's because of a strong female character. I like both the character and the actress and hope that she has a future in the MCU.
Yeah, I really enjoyed her performance in this film, more so than in the original. I find the antipathy baffling, but I can’t put myself in the mindset of those guys at the best of times. I do hope the actress and character are back.

I don’t think most who didn’t see this in the theater thought it wouldn’t be an ok movie. They didn’t feel it was worth going to the theater to experience.

I don’t think most who didn’t see this in the theater thought it wouldn’t be an ok movie. They didn’t feel it was worth going to the theater to experience.

It is possible that Disney movies have suffered because of Disney Plus's streaming success. If Disney feels that is the case, we might start seeing a longer wait time before things appear on the streaming platform.

Most weren't aware it was out, due to the nonexistent marketing and promotions. Others figured "Hey, Disney always put the movies on D+ fast so why waste money at the Theater when we can see it at home free?"

The biggest hits this year (Barbie and Oppenheimer) had crazy promotions, marketing and neither had a quick Streaming release time. That's what helped.

Barbie sucked away a lot of the "girl power" energy that fueled the first Captain Marvel movie. I know someone who saw it nine times.

I got my copy in the mail the other day. This should be interesting as this is the first MCU movie I didn't see at the cinema and so I know very little what its about. I'm always up for more Sam Jackson though. I hope its better than Secret Invasion.

Last edited:
Teyonah Paris talks with ET about The Marvels, Monica Rambeau, deleted scenes, what she hopes for Monica's future in the MCU and her reaction to seeing herself in a scene with the Beast.

The most interesting point to me was that they had actually made a decision on what Monica's superhero name was going to be and filmed the scene, only to cut it. Paris didn't know that they cut it until she saw it in the theater. And, no, she doesn't tell us what the name they filmed her adopting would have been.

Back