Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
There’s nothing heroic about the final box office performance of “The Marvels.” The superhero sequel is officially the lowest-grossing installment in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disneyapparently doesn’t expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, “With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”

The film isn’t leaving theaters just yet, and the $220 million-plus budgeted tentpole is expected to play through New Year’s. However, this memo signals that it’s not expected to generate notable coinage during the rest of December. Over the weekend, “The Marvels” tumbled to 11th place on box office charts with just $2.4 million in its fourth outing.

https://variety.com/2023/film/box-o...lowest-grossing-mcu-movie-history-1235819808/

A few bombs later and they will catch up.
Perhaps they will.

However, Joker was a smash hit, from a very different mold as the majority of films in the genre. Joker: Folie à Deux is also on its way, in less than a year. Will it bomb? I certainly don't know, but I wouldn't bet against it, at this point anyway.

Perhaps they will.

However, Joker was a smash hit, from a very different mold as the majority of films in the genre. Joker: Folie à Deux is also on its way, in less than a year. Will it bomb? I certainly don't know, but I wouldn't bet against it, at this point anyway.

To be clear - I'm not saying that no Superhero films will be made but rather that they are no longer the juggernaut they have been to this point. Spider-man, Batman (and related) films will still get churned out but $300 million making a movie about Bueno Excellente? no.

For Marvel, the idea that people will turn out for MCU films is now over - they would have worked out that Captain Marvel would cost X and it would make between a certain range. That model has been blown up. Deadpool is an oddity for all sorts of reasons so the big test is Captain America - how many people turn out for that? They now have no idea.

To be clear - I'm not saying that no Superhero films will be made but rather that they are no longer the juggernaut they have been to this point. Spider-man, Batman (and related) films will still get churned out but $300 million making a movie about Bueno Excellente? no.

For Marvel, the idea that people will turn out for MCU films is now over - they would have worked out that Captain Marvel would cost X and it would make between a certain range. That model has been blown up. Deadpool is an oddity for all sorts of reasons so the big test is Captain America - how many people turn out for that? They now have no idea.

Captain America is going to trick a lot of people not paying attention, like those millions of fools who wanted a Sean Connery Movie only to be greeted by George Lazenby.

Captain America is going to trick a lot of people not paying attention, like those millions of fools who wanted a Sean Connery Movie only to be greeted by George Lazenby.

The only thing I have seen Anthony Mackie in as a lead is Altered Carbon - he was so wooden I thought someone had thrown a chair on-screen.

The only thing I have seen Anthony Mackie in as a lead is Altered Carbon - he was so wooden I thought someone had thrown a chair on-screen.

I was trying to be subtle about the very loud opinions of racists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13650540/?ref_=nm_flmg_c_3_act

A man and a woman, both married to other people, lost in space, no way home, consider maybe they should do it, sex, rather than watch Die Hard for the millionth time.

The cool bit is the cgi.

The cgi make's their spaceship and the universe and all the planets in the universe look like they are made out of crate paper and paper mache.

There’s nothing heroic about the final box office performance of “The Marvels.” The superhero sequel is officially the lowest-grossing installment in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Not the kind of history Disney/Marvel wanted to make with this film.

After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disneyapparently doesn’t expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, “With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”

Key:

“With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”

Translation: Disney is admitting there's a serious problem with the film, without really admitting it.

“With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”
Reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it...
People are gonna show up expecting a white dude? :guffaw:

The problem was the marketing considering all the positive reviews

Xolo from Blue Beetle, has only just started marketing his movie, since he is only now allowed to do so without betraying the Union, but its too late. He thinks that if he can start a positive word of mouth, that he can save his first movie, and maybe his career.

The strike was some bad juju.

Reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it...

People are gonna show up expecting a white dude? :guffaw:

If they'd cast Clint Eastwood as Old Steve in Infinity Quest, the next Captain America will have been a very different movie... I just wonder if Emily VanCamp has a policy about stage-kissing 93 year olds?

Back