Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
Bob Iger thinks he knows why The Marvels failed at the box office.

Speaking during the NYT DealBook Summit 2023, he did not blame the actors' strike and lack of publicity for the film's performance. Nor did he blame the weird hatred of the film driven by sexism coming from a small and vocal cadre of Marvel fans upset over a film helmed by three women.

He did blame the sheer volume of content being created for making it more difficult to maintain quality and said, "The Marvels was shot during Covid, and there wasn't enough supervision on set" from executives.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/29...albook-summit-elon-musk-bob-iger-david-zaslav
Iger's comment sounds like a bullshit excuse to me, trying to cover his ass with the shareholders.

I liked the movie. It was a good Sunday matinee: not too long, not too short.

As far as I'm concerned, people who didn't like it can pound sand. :techman:

Maybe you just didn't want to see it?
I do want to see it — I'm gonna see it — on Disney+. I already said I don't want to see pretty much anything in movie theaters, anymore.

But the fact that there are far fewer people than expected actually seeing it in the theater is all the evidence that's needed to conclude that there are many more people than expected who didn't want to see it in the theater. It's just not what people want to see in theaters at that level of turn out. I don't even understand why that's debatable.

As already discussed, the reasons why go way beyond anything to do specifically with this film in particular. Under-performance seems to be an industry wide problem. Interestingly, the hits have been new properties, not continuations.

Is it not dawning on anyone that no matter how well it was made it was maybe a movie that not that many people wanted to see to begin with?

That's the same empty excuse that was hurled at Guardians back in 2013 and Shang Chi in 2020...

...And Peacemaker over at DC.

That's the same empty excuse that was hurled at Guardians back in 2013 and Shang Chi in 2020...

...And Peacemaker over at DC.
What a load of crap. Guardians of the Galaxy made over $700 billion. The Marvels hasn't even cracked $200 billion.

Mine is a statement about the number of butts in seats, nothing more. It's not a comment on how good of a film it is.

Is it not dawning on anyone that no matter how well it was made it was maybe a movie that not that many people wanted to see to begin with?

No. Rather than admitting a film is--apparently--terrible, with a plot and characters a significant amount of the movie going audience did not want to see / care about, some will employ mental gymnastics / endless excuses.

The only way this movie could have made money is with a better name.

"Avengers: The Marvels." Maybe?

Well, there's the theory suggesting the first Captain Marvel only succeeded because it was strategically released before Avengers: Endgame to make audiences believe there was a direct connection to the film (i.e.,something which might be relevant to the final Avengers movie of the Thanos arc), so perhaps using your title would have helped to some degree?

No. Rather than admitting a film is--apparently--terrible, with a plot and characters a significant amount of the movie going audience did not want to see / care about, some will employ mental gymnastics / endless excuses.

By that logic, Captain America: First Avenger and Thor shouldn't have done well. Nor Guardians or Shang Chi.

Fight Club and Blade Runner shouldn't have bombed either

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://i.redd.it/y05ouxth88h81.jpg

What's your answer as to why Martin Scorsese's last movie didn't have many go to see it?
Martin Scorsese's films aren't on topic here.

A film can be not terrible (such as this one) and make no money at the same time.

Nothing has to be admitted about the quality one way or another when that's not even questioned before anyone even decides to avoid it opening night.
Exactly.

I have no opinion as to whether this film is good or bad, as I have not seen it. I'm looking forward to it, though. I enjoyed Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and WandaVision. It's encouraging that the majority of people who've seen it and opined about it seem to have liked it.

A film can be not terrible (such as this one) and make no money at the same time.

Nothing has to be admitted about the quality one way or another when that's not even questioned before anyone even decides to avoid it opening night.
Which is why the box office metric is a nonsensical one to me. Why not watch and enjoy it?

Since the money doesn't impact our enjoyment, since we are not the beneficiaries of the money, I see no reason to put that up on the pedestal it so often is.

Which is why the box office metric is a nonsensical one to me. Why not watch and enjoy it?

Since the money doesn't impact our enjoyment, since we are not the beneficiaries of the money, I see no reason to put that up on the pedestal it so often is.

Money determines sequels.

As already discussed, the reasons why go way beyond anything to do specifically with this film in particular. Under-performance seems to be an industry wide problem. Interestingly, the hits have been new properties, not continuations.

It's not that clear-cut, really. Mario and Barbie are 'new properties' only in the way that The Batman or Joker were new properties. Oppenheimer almost certainly owes a major cut of its box office to Barbenheimer. Maverick and Avatar were straight sequels, as were Spider-man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and GotG. Spiderverse, Creed and John Wick, too.

Meanwhile plenty of actual new properties like Black Adam, Blue Beetle, The Creator, Wish, etc, are in the same boat as MI, Indiana Jones, Ant-man, Flash and Captain Marvel.

The only way this movie could have made money is with a better name.

"Avengers: The Marvels." Maybe?

I genuinely think simply 'Captain Marvel 2' would have led to at least somewhat better results. At this point it seems people are less inclined than ever to give a shot to a new superhero they don't already know, but can be convinced to show up - albeit perhaps in fewer numbers than the past - for someone they know. That should've worked in favor of this film but clearly didn't and it makes me wonder how many people actually viewed this as a new Captain Marvel movie rather than as another brand new marvel property that happened to have a familiar face or two in it.

Back