The Maple Leaf Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Avro Arrow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Seen some Arrow relics at the Air Museum in Ottawa (cockpit and engine).

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for sharing those images and that footage @wayoung !

Avro Arrow likes this.
  3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I remember seeing those as well, and you even had to pay extra for a full tour to see them. It was the case when I saw them anyway as it was part of the storage area. The tour guide told us that they were planning on restoring it. But those pictures are something else! Quite nice to see something that isn't in pieces. I wonder if that's the original plan come to fruition.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am left wishing that OC Transpo would restore full service to the Aviation and Space Museum instead of peak-hours-only. I'd like to revisit the place and I don't drive.

5. Marc

Don't think it was part of a tour when I was there but I can't remember when that was. Can't find the photos either. Had a major fuck up that toasted some drives a few weeks back and I think the photos were there and lost (unless still on the memory card in my camera and yes I with an IT background I should do better with my backups).

Do remember doing tour at one aviation museum but can't remember if it was Ottawa or Hamilton. Which ever one has the former Air Canada DC9 they stripped out and bare minimum fuel load to get it down on run way that you'd normally never land such a jet on.

6. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall them at the aviation museum when I used to go but it's been a long time since I last went so my memory isn't reliable in that regard.

7. Owain Taggart

This was quite a few years ago, so I'm sure things would have changed, but I do remember it being quite a fun tour. Ottawa's museum has quite a selection. Of course, I've also visited D.C's aviation museums, ie the one at the mall and the annex at the airport. I was there when they still had the Enterprise shuttle prototype.

8. Owain Taggart

Well, after more than 2 years of not going anywhere outside the Country, I went on my yearly Vermont Trip this past week. Spent a nice week there, and didn't have any problems. I had some anxiety over ArriveCan, which was a little intimidating due to there being so much information on their site about it, but there was little to worry once the information was submitted. Essentially, what the app does is tie the vaccination info to the passport so that they see that info when they scan the passport. They don't even need to see your phone or the receipt you get by email. So, essentially the app acts as an extended passport.

9. Marc

I was expecting the receipt to be required when coming back from the U.S a in early June (just over the border for a few hours) but nope just sailed through.

During the tory leadership debate last night they were carping on how it would be the first thing to be scrapped upon coming into office.

Apart from the fact if you fill it out in advance it's not big deal, the next election isn't for another 3 years and it will probably be long gone by then.

10. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple months ago I'd have said not a chance, it's going to be here to stay. After the issues people have been having with it the last few weeks though, maybe.

11. Owain Taggart

Yeah, pretty much the same experience here. They were more interested in anything that we had bought while there.

12. Marc

Though the ways things are it's not really worth buying stuff in the U.S.

I will admit to spending $CA70 on drinks but I can't find Vanilla Coke here, RC is long gone (even the rebrand that was sold in Dollar Stores has departed) and if I could find Snapple it would make the wife happy.

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've heard that you can add a bit of vanilla extract to Coke to make your own, but haven't tried it to see if it works.

That said, my grocery store keeps showing a vanilla variety of Coke Zero on their website, but they never have any when I try to order it. I got hold of a case of Cherry Coke Zero once, and it was okay.

14. Marc

I’ve occasionally add vanilla to my coke and it’s a close approximation.

had the cherry Coke Zero but also have some cherry Vanilla Coke Zero.

may also be one of the few people who like the coke starlight (the wife hates it).

though in more recent times my main drink has been a 50/50 mix of regular cola.diet cola from my sofa strream but I’m out of syrup and so are is Walmart and Canadian Tire.

15. Timewalker

That would be quite the combination.

About the best pop flavor I ever had was cherry-chocolate. That was a few decades ago, and I don't remember the company that made it.

I recently tried the Ocean Spray Sparkling Cranberry beverage (the Lite variety). I thought at first it was just cranberry juice in a single-serving can, but it turns out that it's actually carbonated. So it's low-sugar cranberry pop. It's quite good.

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I've pretty much given up pop, but will try a few mouthfuls if a family member tries a weird new flavour.

I'm with your wife on this one. For some reason, I expected "space" to taste better! :lol:

17. Timewalker

I haven't heard of Coke Starlight.

The aftertaste of diet drinks is annoying, but you have to get used to it if you don't want to exist on water and you hate coffee and tea (assuming you're diabetic).

That said... I have one bottle of Jones Soda, watermelon flavor. My grocery picker knows my orders almost by heart now, and was surprised that I'd order a non-diet pop. But dangit, I'm curious enough to try it.

Of course it will mean being really careful the rest of the day and drinking lots of water.

18. Owain Taggart

Oh, wasn't so much buying because stuff was cheaper, but because they were necessary, or contextual things such as unique merch only available at our event.

19. Marc

Though given some of the tales from my in-laws CBSA doesn't seem to have been as strigent in years gone upto and including, not noticing the coffee table tied to the car roof...

20. Timewalker

Why did they have a coffee table tied to the car roof?

(yeah, logical answer is because it wouldn't fit inside the car...)

They could have said that they brought it along in case they stopped at a campground and all the picnic tables were occupied.