The Maple Leaf Lounge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Avro Arrow, Mar 14, 2018.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Made in Canada/The Industry was definitely Rick Mercer's thing...

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and it's strange in that I really don't hear talked about much.

3. DEWLine

I don't know what's happening with that series to keep it unavailable. Not even via CBC's Gem service?

4. Owain Taggart

I dunno. I don't use Gem, but I had assumed they mostly catered to current-run shows rather than their back-catalogue. That's one thing I would really love to see Canadian media address. Access to older Canadian shows is nearly nonexistent and woefully inadequate. The only older show I've ever seen streamed anywhere is Due South.

Would love to see Made in Canada. I only ever saw a few episodes during its run, and I feel it's more relevant now than ever, seeing as Canada's film industry has really exploded since. Back when it was made, the industry was still very much in its infancy. Rick Mercer is even more popular now than he was back then.

But I'd also love to see something of a Due South reunion.

5. DEWLine

I have some good news for you re: Gem and the first two seasons of Made in Canada, then:

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/made-in-canada/s01

As for Due South...I wish I had a clue to share. I have a sense that given the push to reimagine policing/law enforcement/public safety in both the US and Canada, that show is going to have to stay frozen in cultural amber.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  6. Owain Taggart

Dunno, it was still friendlier policing than most other shows, Mounties saying sorry and all ;) Guess they're just going to have to Ride Forever.

Thanks for the link. I guess 2 seasons is better than nothing. Still think they could do much better.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know whether to laugh until it hurts, or roll my eyes into the next state, at the thought that even DUE SOUTH isn't "woke" enough anymore...

8. Owain Taggart

It was 'woke' before even 'woke' was a thing :D I mean, it liked poking fun at the establishment.

9. DEWLine

Benton was definitely depicted as the kind of Mountie too good for the Force. Even at his most imperfect. Look at how he ended up exiled to Chicago!

Also, he went to the trouble - encouraged by his librarian grandparents while his father was out on postings, no doubt - to learning Indigenous languages (probably Inuktut and Tsimshian at minimum) as well as French and two Chinese languages.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

You've probably heard in the news this week that Barbados has cut its ties to the British monarchy and become a republic. When something like this happens, the talk inevitably starts to turn to "should Canada do the same?". I just thought I'd ask and see what my fellow Canadians thought about this.

My personal opinion is yes, we should. Although the monarch doesn't wield any real power anymore, monarchy as an institution is an archaic, non-egalitarian system that I feel shouldn't have a place in modern Canada.

One of the most frequent arguments I hear against this is "you don't want to have an American-style government, do you?" Well, no, but you can still have a parliamentary system of government without being a constitutional monarchy. Sure, we would have to work out how everything would function, but I think it would be worth it in the end.

If you have concerns about turning away from Queen Elizabeth II herself, then OK. These things would take time anyway, so we could at least put the framework in place such that the next change in monarch would be the triggering event that enacts the change. So then the Queen would still be Queen of Canada for the duration of her reign... but she would be the last British monarch to be Canada's head of state.

Now, do I think this is actually going to happen? Sadly, no, probably not in my lifetime, at least. Our constitution is so difficult to change, that I don't think we'd be able to get the required consensus to bring about a change of this magnitude. (At least Quebec would probably be on board for this, though.) I also recently read about opposition to this idea from a source that surprised me: Canada's Indigenous population. Apparently the historic First Nations treaties were all with the Crown, so the First Nations don't want to see the Crown removed from our governmental system.

So regardless of whether it is actually feasible or not, what are your thoughts on the question of abolishing the monarchy in Canada?

11. DEWLine

The Indigenous nations are not likely to want the Crown removed from the equation, at least partly as a safety measure for their own protection. And I don't fault them on that choice.

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Australia had the debate about becoming a republic in the early 2000s and boy the did the monarchists trot out the bullshit though I don't think the comparison was more with less than desirable countries with the word republic in their names.

That countries like the U.S are republics didn't get a mention.

End of the day the referendum failed because the P.M of the day (howard, total monachist toad) manage to split the pro-republic side between the direct elected and appointed president.

My argument was that all powers currently held by the govenor-general would be transferred to the president who would be selected just as the current G-G minus the approval by Liz.

That changes and disruption to the system of governance would be fairly small.

Think you're confusing crown as in the monarch with crown as the government.

Crown land for example doesn't mean the monarch owns or controls it, it means that the government whether state or provincial owns it.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  13. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah: I need my Beachcombers/King of Kensington/Edison Twins/Racoons//Forever Knight fix...

I've never understood why we still have anything to do with the outdated figurehead of another country...

Avro Arrow likes this.
  14. DEWLine

Nostalgia, to some extent, for some.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Still, though, why single out Due South? There are a ton of cop shows on right now, and nobody's reimagining them....

16. Owain Taggart

Because it wasn't a run of the mill cop show and it was uniquely Canadian? And yeah, some of them are getting remade. I'd heard there was a Hill Street Blues being remade, for example.

17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

So, I actually tried the, ahem, "TimBiebs" this week. Yes, it was tiny bit difficult to order them while keeping a straight face and not rolling my eyes a little. (I think I am probably too old to be in the Bieber target demographic. ;) )

They were certainly good, but they were also disappointing, because the base TimBits are just basic TimBits that they already carry, and the only difference was the extra things they put in the glaze. Might have been better to just create some brand-new base.

Still were enjoyable to eat, though. No regrets on the purchase. :)

18. Owain Taggart

The first time I came across their promotion, I rolled my eyes. They just feel like the weirdest promotion I've seen. I don't think he even lives in Canada anymore. Probably spends most of his time in LA.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  19. DEWLine

Wondering which musician(s) will be next up for this sort of deal...

20. Owain Taggart

^ BubléBits?

Avro Arrow likes this.