Spoilers The Mandalorian season 2 discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 30, 2020.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

A lawsuit over this finally! Very nice... I hope this spreads throughout the entire streaming/cloud industry. Usually it takes a few years for people to get pissed off enough at the shenanigans these megacorps like to engage in. Eventually those birds come home to roost if the business model is draconian enough.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Mad? Naaah. We all have our different feelings about these things. Do I disagree with your rationale? Absolutely. Does it make it wrong for you? Nope. You do you, bud.

EnderAKH likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, the only real rationale is that it's cheaper to get the stuff I want to watch :)

Campe likes this.
  4. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

I'm more into streaming nowadays, but I've still got a blu ray player and DVD/Blu Ray to fall back on.

5. fireproof78

A blue what? ;)

TedShatner10 likes this.
  6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just bought a good boom box with a cassette player. Lots o' homemade cassettes.

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. fireproof78

Good way to work out.

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A lot of computers now don't even come with any kind of disc drive. Not even a DVD or Blu-ray player. Windows 10 don't come with the means to playback movies even if you have a player. You have to download something to do that.

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not like streaming services have much incentive to release their stuff on video. If you own the shows/movies, why would you keep paying the monthly fee?

10. TedShatner10

I enjoyed these two seasons, but the overall formula gets a might repetitive (go into bandit camp/crimelord lair/imperial facility or vessel, shoot it up) and the Stormtroopers in this 2nd season felt even more like cannon fodder than in the previous season and the ST (it was mental how Boba, Mando, Fennec annihilated an entire platoon of Moff Gideon's loyalists - up to EIGHTY INFANTRYMEN - and it was not as if even the humble Stormtrooper grew on trees in this uncertain period after Jakku).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  11. fireproof78

The training of Gideon's troops is suspect. Might be why he was designing the Dark Troopers.

12. TedShatner10

The bulk of Gideon's private army by S2 may have not even been "real" Stormtroopers, but hired criminal thugs and low grade bounty hunters Gideon put into surplus Imperial gear and then tried to drill at short notice - if Fennec, Boba, and Din faced a similar sized landing party of Republic Clonetroopers, they would've more likely lost, no question. If they faced First Order Stormtroopers in a similar situation, they would've held their ground and prevailed, but after a more lengthy fight at a higher cost.

EDIT: Gideon's Dark Troopers were not his special project, but important post-Jakku assets he managed to keep hold of, to shore up his mini-army (alongside his S1 Death Troopers).

13. fireproof78

I mean, stormtrooper ranks would be incredibly devastated between Endor and Jakku and on going conflict. Time to train is going to be shortened, and the doctrine of overwhelming numbers rather than superior training is going to make the individual trooper less skilled and dependent on a squad. Which, if you watch Boba Fett he is isolating troopers to reduce their effectiveness. Their tactics are adaptive while the stormtroopers relied upon top down leadership.

And, more my point with the Dark Troopers is that such assets would be further invested in by Gideon because of trooper loses.

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

When all the good shows were on cable, we still kept our cable subscriptions even after we bought our favorite shows on DVD or blu-ray. Well, many of us, anyway. The only reason I had cable at all was to watch Mad Men. So once the show ended, I immediately canceled with no regrets. It was expensive to have cable just because I liked one show.

Personally, there are certain shows and movies that I want to have on pristine physical media because I like them a lot and I want to enjoy them in the best possible audio-visual presentation, without dealing with the hiccups of streaming, internet outages, the first minute of every show looking like garbage while it buffers, possible losses of licenses, etc.

On the other hand, there are dozens of other shows on the streaming service that I find entertaining enough, and I will gladly watch, but I don't want to own physical copies. And other viewers may buy some of those particular shows on disc, but not buy the shows that I personally like. So it's well worth it to keep paying the $6 a month for the service even after paying $40 or so for a season set of one particular show on blu-ray. If I get The Mandalorian and WandaVision on blu-ray, then the Mouse just got a lot more money out of me than if I only had the streaming service. And besides, I cancel the service between seasons of shows that I enjoy. So they lose the revenue from my subscription during those times.

Kor

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I appreciate the thought you have put into this, but if you review SW canon, "Troopers" be they clone, storm, or droid, have had wildly varying degrees of effectiveness in combat, and generally exist to set the emotional parameters of battle scenes, be it to imply that peril is increasing, or that salvation is coming, or in some cases that heroic sacrifices are occurring.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The Clone Troopers did have to get better trained and do better on the battlefield because, unlike the Stormtroopers and their doctrine, the Clones were usually outnumbers by the Droid Armies. That only goes so far though. The Clones and their Jedi Generals and Commanders still tended to do frontal assaults and mass formations to counter the larger Droid formations, and it cost a lot of clones to win some of those battles. It is possible that the older clone armor was superior to the Stormtrooper armor, and the Clones would survive more often than Stormtroopers. Which makes sense...the Clones were a costly, nine year investment. Stormtroopers, while pricy, you can always get more conscripts. First Order Troopers were likely a middle ground, since training children would take longer than the Clone Armies.

17. fireproof78

Sorry for the YouTube Spam here but the channel Generation Tech does probably one of the better break downs of different trooper types throughout Star Wars, from Clone (the host's personal favorite) to the Empire and First Order.
    10 Reasons Clones were better than Stormtroopers:

How Troopers compare across each one, starting with their training (first of a five part series):

saddestmoon likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My only problem with VHSs at this point would be the picture quality. After getting used to DVDs, Blu-Rays, and HD streaming and TV, I don't think I could take the poor picture quality of a VHS.
    I made the mistake of getting one without a DVD drive, which really sucks because I have the Star Trek comics DVD with literally hundreds of comics on it that I haven't read yet, and now I have no way to read them. I'm probably going to have to get an external drive at some point to get back to work on it.
    The main reason I still have cable is because most of the cable channels require you to have a cable subscription with that channel if you want to watch theirs shows on their website.

19. fireproof78

Mileage will vary. Picture quality is relatively low on my priority list when it comes to home media. Save for stuttering and artifacts.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Understandable.