The Librarians

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by intrinsical, Dec 2, 2014.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Except that nobody tried to change Dan Fielding and no matter what happened to him he remained more or less the same, typical for a sitcom character. Ezekiel's running gag is getting alittle thin already, being a Librarian has changed anybody who becomes one, not to have any real changes in Ezekiel does seem to prove the characters are more like cyphers so far.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

This one really should have been a Grimm crossover...

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The idea of a town where fairy tales come to life complete with a book is closer to Once Upon A Time than Grimm.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I found that whole episode a bit painful to watch. I really want to like this show but it's not happening. I just don't LIKE anyone but Flynn, and he's hardly ever on it. Actually, of the whole main cast, the only one that really interests me is the John Larroquette character (perhaps because he's a better actor?). The rest are far too "cartoony" (or poorly acted/written?) for me to like or even care about.

Other "silly" shows like Eureka or Warehouse 13 had interesting or fun characters that kept me watching---but not "feeling it," here. I might give it one more episode. But I'm not even sure about that.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Closer?

"Closer" is not the word.

The word is "Drive-by".

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Especially since both shows are set (and I believe, filmed) in Portland.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

They are indeed!

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Is it just me, or does Morgan Le Fey come across like the Intendent's evil human daughter?

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

More like a grown Alia Atreides. :techman:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed the end of the second episode, but I did enjoy what I saw of the two episode.
    I did not see the Morgan reveal coming, and I was not surprised she got away. She's not the kind of character you get rid of after just one appearance. I do wonder if she'll pop back up? Did anyone catch what she called Jenkins?

What I saw of the second one was pretty good. I thought it was a fun mystery house story, and I was actually pretty surprised by the big twist with Katie.
    Fun fact: It was written by Geoffry Thorne, who wrote the the Titan novel Sword of Damocles, and short stories in SNW VI and 8, Prophecy & Change, and Distant Shores.

11. Guy Gardener

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16024

Wikipedia decided to issue this redirect if I wasn't talking about boats.

#### fucking Galahad.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Also, she's Alicia Witt, a fairly prominent actress, so I'm sure it'll be a recurring role.

Once she got into the Annex and we began to realize she was more than she seemed, I immediately guessed Morgan le Fay, because she's the obvious candidate for a sorceress in fantasy mashup fiction like this in general, and particular in a series that's already loaded with Arthurian ties. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed, because it's kind of a cliche.

13. Guy Gardener

They're tying us to something.

14. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Lieutenant Commander

Or you could have just looked up Galahad to see that Galeas is one of his alternative names.

I was close with my original guess. Was kind of hoping he was Gawain instead, mostly because his stories are much more interesting and magic-related, but Galahad isn't a bad option.

Totally nailed it that he was Lancelot's bastard son though. :)

15. Guy Gardener

Galle(y) - Ass.

Obviously another word for Boat whore.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Another good pair of episodes. They've been really strong with the characterization. I especially like Stone's history of hiding his light under a barrel because of the anti-intellectual environment he lived in. And I think it won't be long before Cassandra's tumor plotline comes to a head (no pun intended, but what the hell). I wish TNT would go ahead and renew the show already.

17. Christopher

Annnd... we have our first significant continuity error between the movies and the show (that I've noticed). Jenkins insists that UFOs aren't real, but the third movie (IIRC) included the Roswell saucer in the Library's collection of large artifacts. The annoying thing is that all that back-and-forth about the reality of UFOs didn't even prove relevant to the story.

And it was a weird story, too. The stuff about Tesla and the gas lamps wasn't magic, it was more the sort of weird-science territory that Eureka might have covered. Odd to see these characters who are supposed to be magic experts going around spouting technobabble and working with complex electrical equipment.

The finale was a mixed bag. Okay, they use alternate timelines as a way to show how inadequate the individual Librarians are without each other -- but then at the end, they split up the team and send them out on their own? Okay, Jake and Ezekiel did choose to go with Cassandra, but still, way to undermine your own theme, guys.

Also, I'm not sure that having the Library back will be a good idea for the second season. There's no way they can afford to show it often, and its endless resources make it too much of a deus ex machina. At least in the movies, Flynn didn't have that magic door to grant him instant access to the Library, so he could be believably in danger while in the field.

Overall, I just didn't want the dynamic to change. They had a good thing going with the four-person team and Jenkins operating out of the Annex. They shouldn't mess with what works.

A surprise to see Jerry O'Connell as Lancelot/the young Dulaque -- but I'm sorry, he's not even slightly convincing as a younger Matt Frewer. Or are we supposed to believe that Dulaque altered his appearance as camouflage or something?

I like it that every episode turned out to have some relevance to the ultimate solution. Although the premise was kind of weird. How does restoring Camelot lead to a world that's no different from ours except in the Librarians' personal careers and the results of their failures? And why did they have the same adventures ten years earlier?

18. Guy Gardener

Dulaque didn't use the loom to "restore" Camelot, he just "went there" before the fall to stop the fall as well as best he could, which was probably significant if he applied all that foreknowledge, but all Lancelot really had to do to save the day was to stop ####ing Gwen.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot going to happen.

Because of the new rules, am I allowed to start a thread called "Hottest Guinevere"?

I could probably get away with "Best Guinevere" but that's still pushing it because that there is hardly the most complex code... Oh! Young Sarah Alexander on that episode of Red Dwarf! (Never mind.)

Once Dulaque arrived in Camelot the frayed loom generated a multiverse of an infinite number of possible futures where Dulaque met different degrees of success/failure in his efforts to save/prolong Camelot. Maybe there were an infinite number of timelines where Camelot still stood in the 21st century and everything was perfectly noble, but there was also an infinite number of timelines where Camelot fell and the 21st century still kinda looked like it did because Dulaque cocked it up, or his success didn't matter in the long run.

The loom knew this was coming, and somehow so did Jenkins, which is why the tools needed to get to the loom were gathered before the loom was cut, to see that the loom was cut, so that the loom could be saved.

It was a controlled detonation, like how the bomb squad blows up suit cases rather than waiting for them to explode on their own dime.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Dulaque reverting to his younger self was an unexpected side-effect of his tampering with the Loom, which seemed to catch even Dulaque by surprise.

I can't believe they killed Lamia, though. I was hoping that, after Dulaque betrayed her, that she would switch sides and join the Librarians for good.

20. Christopher

Yeah, I know -- that's not what I meant. I didn't express it well. I meant that maybe, over the centuries, Lancelot had his face altered from looking like Jerry O'Connell to looking like Matt Frewer, whether through plastic surgery or through magical means, and the Loom reverted him to his original features. Because there's no way someone with Jerry O'Connell's face is going to end up with Matt Frewer's face just by aging. They hardly look anything alike.

I think I read that O'Connell is married to Rebecca Romijn? That would explain why he was cast, I guess.

All in all, I'm not too happy with how the finale turned out. In retrospect, it just went by too fast. It was so focused on the alternate timelines that the resolution of the Dulaque arc that's been building all season was just too brief and slapdash. Maybe they should've devoted a 2-parter to it, although that would've meant putting up with twice as much of Noah Wyle.