The Last TOS Episode, Turnabout Intruder...Where Is Uhura?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Spock's Barber, Oct 11, 2014.

1. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it makes you wonder just what kind of arrangement the two of them had for when she was in Kirk's body, doesn't it?

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, not at all!
    JB

3. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

By far my least favorite episode.

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised there's not more slash regarding Spock getting it on with Janice's body, whilst Kirk's mind was in it. I've personally seen NONE of it - I don't even know if any exists!

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Who says Doohan wasn't paid for his work?

It's entirely possible he came in for looping/ADR for the previous episodes and they got his line out of the way for scheduling purposes. He'd still be paid for it though.

More importantly: if Doohan was not considered a member of the regular cast (and in fact a day player) the show would want to get all the ADR done as soon as possible and in one sitting. The more often the "loop group" (as it's called today) gets brought in, the more money they get paid. If Doohan was a member of the regular cast it'd be different - main cast actors are expected to show up to loop group and don't get paid for it (as they are paid already for being members of the main cast.)

At least, that's how it works today. I can't say if it was exactly the same practice in 1969, but it would make sense to me if it were.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Absolutely. Kind of what I was alluding to. :)

It doesn't seem to me that Doohan would have been required 'on stage' for "All Our Yesterdays", as his character is never actually seen (only heard over the communicator), so chances are good that only Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and the guest cast were obliged to front up that week. The logical conclusion is that Scotty's lines were therefore recorded in a separate ADR, although I can't say for certain whether that would've been in the same recording week as the episode itself, or whether it would've taken place during ADR recording on another episode on which Doohan was present on stage. Either way, while Doohan definitely "performs" in the episode, he was probably not there during the actual filming of it.

Hm, very interesting! :) :techman:

7. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

That sounds like Shatner using his influence on character names. One of his daughters is named Lisa, and the red shirt character Mr. Lemli is a contraction of Shatner's daughters names Leslie, Melanie and Lisa.

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Not to mention that Mister Leslie himself was named directly after Leslie Shatner. :)

9. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Good point! I forgot all about Mr. Leslie (Eddie Paskey), one of ST's memorable background characters.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Doohan was a regular during season three. I'm not sure off the top of my head if he was contracted for every episode, though. I doubt it.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

He must have cared a great deal about it to speak to her from the Great Beyond....

12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh. I forgot about when the ep was filmed. :eek:

13. EnsignTOS

EnsignTOS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:vulcan: :lol:

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

While unintentional, it works as a satire of the ever-growing MLK story.... ;)

15. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can we speculate she was sick?

Casting director Joe D'Agosta cast his wife as Uhura's replacement, Lt. Lisa, suggesting it was a last minute thing.

Also remember Shatner was reported to be very sick with the flu during the filming of this episode.

16. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sick with flu? Is that the official record for this? Nah, he was spiritually taken over by the soul of his former lover! But keep it to yourselves!
    JB