THE LAST SHIP Season 3 - spoilers, reviews, discussions and junk...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral2, May 19, 2016.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen the episode, the scene is of a very frantic and violent gun massacre in a packed nightclub. I can guarantee you they did the right thing by pulling it.

Jan and bigdaddy like this.
  2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

You still don't get it, do you? The goal wasn't to 'acknowledge a tragedy'. It was to avoid rubbing salt in open wounds. You know...while the blood was still on the floor of the Pulse. And while people were (and still are) waiting to find out if somebody they loved is dead or not.

Compassion, much? Thank goodness TNT had some delicacy of feeling.

bigdaddy likes this.
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly!

I have gay friends in Orlando who had to post on Facebook that they weren't at a shooting that killed dozens because they got so many texts. That shouldn't be normal, we shouldn't just feel numb to this. At 9pm last night there were still family members who didn't know if their loved ones were dead or alive. Sadly it seems most are dead.

I think I'm having a normal reaction to a mass killing of 50 gay people simply because they are gay, and then people getting upset over not being able to watch some show. Sometimes the shows get pulled for silly reasons. The premiere episode had a night club shooting in Asia. No point to add gasoline to the fire to the people still trying to figure out the basic question.

I'd like to thank the mods for being decent humans who understand how pissed, and angry and sad and upset I am at yet another useless shooting that hits close to home.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

Unlike the goofy-ass yet highly enjoyable pulp series, this was not a dick-waving exercise to stick it to our enemies. It was a sensitive gesture of respect to a grieving nation. And if that isn't immediately obvious to you, you just might have better things to do than watch this show.

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think mass murdering terrorists are too bothered about disrupting TV schedules, anyway.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering about this. I had thought it was just because it was a shoot-em-up action show.
    I was annoyed that it was pulled, but since it had the scene you describe above, I can definitely understand pulling. Like others have said, it's not anything to do with "sending a message to the terrorits", it's about not wanting to upset people who might have a problem with something so close to what really happened, so soon after it happened.
    It kind of amazes me at times how often a show or movie will feature a scene like the one described above, only to have something close to it happen in real life right around the time it comes out.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Way to dig in. Do you have no perspective? It's a TV show.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that is indeed the case - then they did a good thing in pre-empting it. (I haven't seen either of the new episodes they were going to show last night - so if such a scene is in the ep. - kudos to TNT.)

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I didn't realize they postponed it. I have it on TiVo, did they announce a new airdate?

Certainly no harm in showing a little sensitivity. It's funny how often TV is criticized for sensationalism and doing/showing anything to make a profit...then they show some discretion and people complain about that too.

:shrug:

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last Ship is shit. Enjoyable shit, but shit.

It's modern Knight Rider.

A shameful thrill.

Hydra and Leviathan represented by the way.

I want to see them warily check each other out like they're both freaks wondering how they each got dogshit on their chin.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The Last Ship is the best Star Trek show since DS9.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

People keep saying that. I watched part of the first season and it didn't grab me or make me think off Star Trek

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the described scene is in the show. I watched it a few weeks ago when it aired as part of the season preview.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious about how much money TNT lost by doing this?

Or if any of their sponsors where assholes enough not to understand the position, and more there money to a different network.

It's not an empty gesture if they lost millions, and screwed over the rest of the season too.

Of course maybe airing the show, and then donating as much money as they would have lost in the short fall might have been a better idea?

15. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it noteable that, over a decade later, he's still got a thorn up his ass about it. Because he was, in his own words, 'inconvenienced.'

Briefly.

Whilst people were still smothering/burning/bleeding to death in the rubble of the WTC. And hundreds to thousands of family members were needing to watch the news, lest they miss finding out if
    • their loved ones were alive or dead
    • those responsible and their motives had been identified.
    • there'd be follow up attacks
    • the country would be at war within the next 24 hours.
    But boy, it sure was irritating that new eps of the Simpsons were delayed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

An excellent point, entertainment does provide escape from the drudgery of the real world. But we can't get that if our entertainment is pulled as a reaction to real events.

Something else I've been wondering, I can't help but wonder if this would have been done with a higher profile show. Although I don't watch it, I did notice Game of Thrones still aired their new episode scheduled for this weekend, and there's a show noted for violence and killing. I also get the impression if the season premiere of The Walking Dead were scheduled for this weekend it wouldn't be pulled, and that ended on a cliffhanger last season where a character is beaten to death. Granted, they probably didn't have militants attacking a night club, but I doubt that makes much of a difference. To someone who lost a loved one in the shooting, that's still a painful reminder. Of course, if someone had lost a loved one probably isn't paying any attention to the TV to notice what is on or what got postponed, being as they are busy grieving.
    9/11 had no impact on new episodes of The Simpsons, as the 2001 season didn't start until November, and that's when it was always scheduled to. What happened with The Simpsons because of 9/11 was that the episode where they visit New York was pulled out of all the syndication re-runs because there was a scene where Homer visited the WTC, and that episode was not broadcast on an American network until 2003. Which IMO was stupid, the episode in question was produced a few years prior to 9/11 and the scene in question has nothing to do with the attack.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Replace every mention of "sea" and "ocean" with "space". Replace the word "helo/helicopter" with "shuttle craft".

18. Nerys Myk

Not sure that would make it Star Trek.

19. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It did here.

Which wasn't the point anyway. Replace it with 'Admiral2 didn't get to watch Crossing Jordan', and it's no more accurate. Because... (wait for it) I don't actually know what 10-year-old show Admiral2 is still butt hurt about missing. Regardless of what it was, his complaint is always going to sound ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  20. Nerys Myk

Pretty sure it does.