THE LAST SHIP Season 3 - spoilers, reviews, discussions and junk...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral2, May 19, 2016.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Forgive me as I think this post is about to go into TNZ territory, isn't this a bit extreme? I mean no disrespect in regards to what has happened in Florida, as I realize the victims and their families are having a far more inconvenient night than I am. But postponing a show doesn't really accomplish anything, does it? Especially in this case, where there aren't really any similarities at all? A website I was just reading said it was because of the episode's opening scene being similar to the incident at Florida. Assuming the opening scene of the episode is just rehashing the final scene from last year's finale, there is a difference between one person being shot in a hotel hallway and multiple people being shot in a nightclub. If it is really too much of an issue, just remove the scene. From spoilers I read online, you can start the episode off without using that scene from the finale anyway.

Sorry, if this sounds insensitive, that's not my intent. Although I am annoyed the show is pulled, I realize not being able to watch my show is a minor inconvenience compared to those who have been killed, seriously injured, or have loved ones killed or injured. Postponing a show (any show) would not have been the decision I would have made. I could understand if events in the show mirrored real events in a serious way, but that isn't really the case here, is it?

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will check on-demand tomorrow

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Right, and you know what not showing the episode won't do? Bring any of those people back or comfort their families. It is an empty gesture, done solely to avoid over sensitive reactions like your post.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You're asking if making a slight scheduling adjustment in response to the worst mass shooting in the nation's history is "extreme"? Really?

It's fine to disagree with it, and/or call it a meaningless gesture, though doing so makes one look pretty darn petty, so one is better off avoiding doing so even if one does think that way. But to call it "extreme" suggests a serious lack of perspective in addition to the pettiness.

bigdaddy likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

Okay, I'll admit, I haven't really been following the story at all. To be completely honest (and I realize how horrible this sounds) I heard "mass shooting in the US" my reaction was "another one?" I am completely ignorant of the fact this is the worst in the American history, I apologize for my ignorance in that matter.

But I do think it's a meaningless gesture. The Dark Knight Rises didn't get pulled from theatres because of what happened in Colorado.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Just to be clear, you're the one overreacting and behaving like a callous ass over being mildly inconvenienced by a delay in the airing of a TV show because the makers of the show and the network wanted to be respectful of a tragedy, and he's having a perfectly normal reaction telling you to get some fucking perspective because fifty people are dead and 53 more are wounded.
    No, but three of its subsequent international premieres were cancelled, the marketing campaign was scaled back, and box office reporting was withheld until after the weekend.

And in a more similar example to this incident with The Last Ship, trailers for the movie Gangster Squad were pulled because the film featured a scene of a theater shooting. The film was delayed four months and the theater shooting scene was removed and replaced by a different scene. So this is really a very minor inconvenience by comparison.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    bigdaddy likes this.
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This reminds me of when Buffy the Vampire Slayer's third season finale was delayed following the Columbine shooting. My condolences to those who lost loved ones today. :(

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Your assumption is wrong. And even if it wasn't, so what? It's a very respectful move by the network and doesn't cost you anything in your life. Because, you know, you still have one.

bigdaddy likes this.
  9. The Wormhole

Yes, I get it, we all get it. Not being able to watch a show this week being the biggest problem facing me at the moment makes me one of the lucky ones. It's still frustrating, especially since I'm anticipating a stressful week ahead of me and I was looking forward to this being a bright spot. Venting my frustrations online in a thread devoted to the show which has been postponed feels healthier than keeping it bottled up inside. This is a perfectly natural human reaction and people like this aren't insensitive or petty, we're just flawed, imperfect people.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the usual places, s03e01 and s03e02 are online and available.

Of course I don't know if that means that they are airing 3 episodes next week in the places it was pulled, or pushing the entire season back one week?

11. The Wormhole

My belief, which I base on nothing substantial is that everything will be pushed back a week, with possibly the final two episodes of the season airing on the same night, to make their original finale date.

12. Guy Gardener

My mother and step father (who can't afford their cable bill anymore.) just discovered Last Ship on a hard drive I gave them, and ate season one in a weekend.

They like crap.

So I give them crap.

Unfortunately mostly they yell at me a lot for having no respect for them, because not all crap is created equal.

"Why are you giving us crap to watch??!!"

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here I was on spoiler lock out to see TNT come up with their apologies. I remember the premiere of 24 was edited because an airliner was bombed to cover the infiltration of a terrorist

14. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure. For eg. Children always moan and whine when they're reminded that the world doesn't revolve around them.

The responses you're experiencing are the typical reaction from the nearest adult. ie. Frustration, and attempts to correct bad/selfish behaviour. That's also natural.

Gaith likes this.
  15. Guy Gardener

Finished s03e01.

Meh?

Not a lone wackadoo religiously gun man orientation cleansing.

Although, pulling the show was a good idea.

16. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Well, yeah - it's both. Sometimes all anybody can do is display a little sensitivity and that's what TNT has done. A simple postponement while the wound is still at its freshest. That's all. And as a resident of Orlando sitting next to a co-worker who's lost a friend over the weekend, I thank TNT for their sensibility.

Jan

17. The Wormhole

Well, I've taken the night to sleep this off and calm down a bit. Also, having looked into info about the Florida shooting I see just how in the dark I was on the whole matter. I thought it was actually a few days ago, not as recent as Saturday night/Sunday morning. As I said above, I really don't pay attention to headlines that read "mass shooting in the US" anymore. Or the news in general, I guess. In fact, I limit my exposure to the news to weekdays only, with a news embargo on weekends. Also, looking into spoilers for the premiere of The Last Ship I now understand how a night club figures into the episode and how there's similarities. Although I do have a better understanding of the matter, I still disagree with postponing. In a way it feels like letting evil win. But, whatever, what's done is done. At the very least, I hope we get an announcement soon regarding the new airdate.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Right. So I have suffered my inconvenience. And those fifty people are still dead. And those fifty-three casualties are still casualties. And a hundred and three families still have cause to worry and mourn. Empty. Gesture.

Nearly three thousand people were killed when the Twin Towers were attacked in 2001. You know what Fox did to the premiere of 24 back then? The same thing TNT just did. Empty. Gesture.

If TNT had really wanted to acknowledge the attack and bring comfort to the families they could have turned over their network to continuing coverage, or found some other programming to air from nine to eleven...not simply replaced the premiere episodes of The Last Ship with the last two episodes of the previous season...you know, the episodes where people were still dying from a plague...and where the scientist who saved the world got shot.

I've got more than enough perspective to realize that postponing a season premiere and showing reruns is a meaningless action if the stated goal is acknowledging a tragedy.

19. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree that it was/is an empty gesture.. Had they gone ahead and shown the episode last night, they would have been raked across the coals for being insensitive to the shootings in Orlando.

While that may have actually increased viewership in the coming weeks (no such thing as bad publicity), the chose the high road and that should be acknowledged.

Now, all that said, the cynic (and former TV station employee) in me, also had it come to mind that with so many people glued to their TVs watching the news coverage, they might have felt their ratings would be down because of that and opted to hold off, much like when many shows postpone new episodes on nights when there are other must-see things on like the NBA finals or the world series.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

IDK. I do understand the sentiment behind the action TNT took, and if the series or episodes in some way mirrored elements of the tragedy, I would understand the act of postponement TNT too (or if they pre-empted for mews coverage) -- but that not what they did. You had people tuning in to see a season premiere of a show; and they showed repeats of a couple of episodes that contained A LOT of gun violence and people being killed (granted the Pirates IMO deserved it but still.)

I'm not 'up in arms' that they did this per se - but I have to wonder if they thought somehow their ratings might suffer, so they'd rather reschedule, and 're-pump up' viewers (and maybe even use the 'He we pre-empted out of respect for the tragedy...) to pump up ratings for the premiere.

Is that cynical on my part to think this? Yep, but I also don't understand an action like this when in the end - TNT didn't really do much to acknowledge or talk about or provide more info on the tragedy, et. - just postpone and show a couple of repeats of the show.

Hell, for anyone bothered by the tragedy, sometimes entertainment (and that's all this show is) provides a break/escape for a brief time - so I really have to wonder what TNT thought it was accomplishing by doing a black bar talking about the postponement situation; except again to maybe curtail a 'ratings disaster' for the season premiere a show TNT knows many like.

Again, couldn't really care one way or another about the postponement. I like the show and will DVR and watch the premiere once they reschedule; but if they really wanted to 'send a message' to terrorists (and sorry I don't think one unhinged bipolar psychopath who probably swore allegiance to ISIL in a 911 call looking for bigger attention for his heinous and bigoted actions/views; is a real Jihadi-type 'terrorist); they should have done like the Tony Awards and had some message preceding the airing; then, gone on with the show.<---- That would have been a better statement of respect for those unfortunate victims of these tragic events. YMMV of course.