The Last Jedi trailer has 16.5 million views in less than 24 hours.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I've read a couple of articles that states it lost 50.5 million dollars.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They already announced Star Trek 4 but here we are fretting over it...

3. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Do you mind telling me the release date for ST4 then? Because I can tell you the planned release dates for TF6 and TF7.

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

They're already filming the Bumblebee spinoff, though, which is a much better situation than the limbo Star Trek 4 is in.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think it's starting to look unlikely at this stage and the longer things go on the smaller that window becomes. We're almost exactly a year out from Beyond, and bar the pre-release 'announcement' of ST4 we've had precisely jack shit. All contributing to yet another big gap between films and another probable lacklustre box office performance.

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Paramount also announced a Terminator Geneisys sequel and now that's not getting made. Announcements are just intentions. They aren't official until the script is greenlit, the budget allocated, and the production company hired. I say this as someone who badly wants a Star Trek 4.

Paramount's management structure has also been drastically changed since a year ago when it was announced. They might not want to do a 4th one. We'll see.

7. F. King Daniel

Does the Bumblebee spinoff count as TF6 or 7, or is it something else?
    Fair enough. We'll see, I guess.

8. Captain of the USS Averof

Transformers Universe: Bumblebee will be released on June 22, 2018. The "Untitled Sixth/Seventh Transformers" film is scheduled to be released on June 28, 2019.

Still waiting to hear the release dates for "Star Trek (1)4" and "Terminator: Genisys 2"...

9. F. King Daniel

The Genisys sequel was shelved ages ago, and James Cameron is already talking about re-rebooting Terminator in 2019.

I wonder how The Last Knight's underperformance will affect that TF 2019 release date. If Bumblebee performs even worse, I wouldn't be surprised if it quietly vanishes.

As for Trek, I've no doubt there will be another movie at some point, even if it's not the Chris Hemsworth-starring Kirk team-up JJ spoke about before Beyond underperformed.

10. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really just want that Chris Hemsworth Star Trek 4 to give the Kelvin timeline crew a proper send off. The ending of Beyond felt like a new adventure was about to happen and not a wrapping up of a trilogy. I'd love an emotional son-father story with Kirk to tie up this series of movies nicely. It could be really cool.

11. Captain of the USS Averof

My point exactly. There's a huge difference between a sequel that's been "announced" (Genisys 2, Trek 4) and a movie with a planned release date (Transformers).

What happens in 2019 is that the Terminator rights revert back to James Cameron. There won't be a new movie out then.

I don't doubt that there will be a new Trek movie made at some point either. The question is when and if it's gonna be Kelvin Trek 4 or something else.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the highest grossing Paramount film of 2016, and nothing from 2017 has yet to surpass it. If Paramount were smart (I know, but bear with me) they would look at their highest grossing film in the past year and a half and realize "oh hey, that's where the money is."

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paramount isn't smart.

14. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

After Beyond, I really don't want this film series wrapped up any time soon.

Paramount needs to market and promote nuTrek differently but the Kelvinverse films have all been critically and commercially successful. They're good movies.

I don't think either Paramount or this Kelvin-cast is in a desperate hurry to make another Trek film because they all know it will inevitably happen at some point. The actors are talented and have other artistic and financial opportunities. Paramount is trying to recreate itself into a functional organization. And they know Star Trek will turn a profit.

Paramount wants the Kirk/Spock marketing duo for the film franchise, but they also know another re-boot isn't a real possibility for the film franchise at this point. They'll get this cast back together at some point.

In a weird way, I think longer breaks between films for this nuTrek series might give the franchise more longevity. The cast is young enough, they could do a Star Trek film every 5-6 years and still create four or five more films. That's a lot of wriggle room.

And that would give them freedom to do other things and not feel "trapped" in Star Trek professionally. It would also allow Paramount to invest and promote these films as the events they should be. These actors are established as the familiar characters now in much of pop culture. No reason that couldn't be a business strategy for either the cast or TPTB.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You underestimate the power of James Cameron.

When its my money on the line, I'd be cautious too.

16. Captain of the USS Averof

You mean the director/producer that originally scheduled Avatar 2 for release in December 2014? And has missed every planned release date ever since? You're joking right?