The Last Jedi - Actually Widely Hated?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by crookeddy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. As I said, I want to share in other people's journeys and I have the utmost respect for that author and the time and effort it took him to come to that conclusion.

Here's my thing-Youtube videos and forum posts are highly reactionary and impulsive. It removes a level of humanity just by nature of the beast-we are not talking to real humans, after all, but screens. I'm glad to share the journey with others.

Campe likes this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I assume he also doesn't watch them, nor bring them up in random discussions? That's a reasonable response.

3. crookeddy

I suppose I kind of get it... Let's say you are a Star Wars con attending, Jedi dressing, 10,000 unopened action figures owning type of Star Wars fan, and the TLJ comes out, with it's 4th wall breaking middle finger to some aspects of fandom. I suppose it would offend me a lot more than just a regular movie ever should.

Sybok Was Wrong likes this.
  4. fireproof78

I heard that from such fans regarding TPM. I'm slowly understanding it but it's taken me a long time to get it.

5. crookeddy

The weird thing is that you'd expect those kinds of trekkies on this kind of board, but I really haven't seen too many. Perhaps I don't read the Star Trek parts of this board enough though :)

6. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with the TLJ is that there are literally foaming-mouth haters out here who are feeling an intense and pure hatred for this movie. People who harassed the female actors of the movie (Pro-'straight white male hero' group behind Star Wars actor's abuse). So, when we are talking about this, we should be careful about our choice of words, because people have suffered for the actions of "true fans" who have hated this movie.

7. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I asked if he’d seen Infinity War and he said he hated Marvel movies. I doubt he’d bring it up otherwise.

True, but I think it’s also worth remembering that most people don’t hate like that. They said ‘I hate TLJ’ in the same way they might say ‘I hate garlic’. It’s just like I’d say ‘I love the original trilogy’, but that doesn’t mean I own collectibles or walk around my house in Jedi robes.

This might seem like nitpicking, but I think it gets down to the nub of what we’re discussing in this thread. People are keen to see the outliers of hate. The zealots. Does that kind of hate garner more attention than it deserves? Yes. But there’s also the more casual hate held by people like my friend, and I think that’s the large group.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*clutches pearls* Oh my stars and garters, harsh language. Someone run and get my smelling salts!

Also, not doing much to help these guys case. “You called me a name once. I’m gonna go obsessively harass someone completely different for the next 18 months, and it’s all your fault! You’ve made me angry, so look what you made me do! “

How totally not the same type of language employed by the Stanley Kowalski’s and boilers of kids bunnies of fhe world. :guffaw:

Nah. As I’m not one of Disney’s bean counters, they just happen to be the only ones I care about. No one give a fuck about the random nerd who passes on a Star Wars Bluray.

And the toxic group doesn’t have to be ‘the majority’ to matter. It just has to be large enough. Although they do have a habit of wanting to expand.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I don't go for Disney+, I'm pretty much 50/50 right now, I'll probably get the big OT/PT Blu-Ray set, and then the individual Disney movies on Blu-Ray.

10. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I buy a lot of shit on disc anyway.

Internet’s too unreliable, I’m into niche movies that aren’t in-demand enough for streaming, and like you said - shit gets pulled.

Funny enough. The last one I got was Disney’s Coco. Which looks pretty damn great on the 3D Bluray (another feature that you can’t get on streaming, even if it’s only ever really worth it for animated movies.)

DonIago likes this.
  11. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought/hoped that the insult was on the warrior part of the term, the hyperbole of thinking or acting as if having beliefs and disagreements with others was like being a soldier in a warzone. That it was even a self-applied term and then others thought it was very hyperbolic and so made fun of it.

12. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as I know, "sjw" now is used exclusively as a pejorative term. And people like the gamegators gave this term such a negative connotation. I'm not sure why someone would like to be in a such distinguished company...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  13. Sybok Was Wrong

Sybok Was Wrong Commander Red Shirt

I dont "Hate" the "The Last Jedi", because it's just a movie.

But I think it's a piece of crap. I dont think the Rian Johnson and the Kathleen Kennedy have the reverence, or 1/10th the creativity of George Lucas. I think it was disrespectful in many areas of why Star Wars has lasted over 40 years. It became a chore to sit through as it went along. Its pacing and editing are poor.

TLJ made me not care about the characters established in TFA. It made TFA worse. Most damning- made me not care what happens next. I don't think this trilogy is salvageable, and dont see how JJ can work with what's left to be make this Trilogy deserving of sitting alongside Lucas' work. These films "look" like Star Wars, but lack the heart & quirkiness Lucas brought. They exist to print money for Disney, and you can feel it.

I think Disney blew it.

Star Wars is not like Star Trek, or Doctor Who. It's very limited, and I think there's nothing left to really say or do, except milk it.

14. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, Lucas has been using Star Wars as his own money printing machine for a long time (Ewoks, anyone?), and I think his creativity might have run dry some decades back.

Yup. Copy what's come before or throw in a ****load of lightsabers.

15. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't hate it, but I do think it is a terrible movie and seeing it once was enough for me. As terrible as it is, I don't feel the need to criticise anyone who does nor do I think the 6 million last jedi-hate videos on youtube are helpful

16. fireproof78

Here's the thing. As much as I have respect for Lucas he benefited from having a very creative team, including his ex-wife at the time. Credit where credit is due.

I don't think the Ewoks were as much a creative dry end as the rebuilding of the Death Star, which has been done again with Starkiller.

Now, all that said, I think that Star Wars could still have a lot to offer in terms of story telling, but there needs to be a willingness to move away from the Jedi and Sith constant battle. I like lightsabers (I've done the whole fan film lightsbaer duel, make my own lightsaber level of fandom) but lightsabers are not the only thing that make Star Wars Star Wars. I involving more gun slinging, Western style antics, can aid in making for more creative output.

17. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think that's why I enjoyed Rogue One and Solo so much, the former kept the lightsabers and Jedi/Sith to an absolute minimum, and the latter was exactly what you've just described in terms of Western style antics.

To be honest I'm getting bored of the never ending battle between the Jedi and the Sith, and the sequel trilogy so far has hammered that home to me, in that it seems like a never ending, pointless struggle that even once seemingly won (ROTJ) it doesn't really matter as it'll all just start all over again, and again.

18. crookeddy

The powers that be do seem to be hinting that this trilogy might conclude the majority of the scrappy rebels against all powerful empire type of stories, so at least that's something. As for light side vs dark side... that's what Star Wars is about. Going away from that just leaves a generic sci-fi fantasy setting.

19. fireproof78

I tend to agree overall. However, ANH set up the neverending struggle between good and evil as Vader is only defeated for a time.

Also, games like KOTOR and comics like Star Wars Legacy had already hammered that idea home to me.
    Yes, but you don't need to have lightsabers do light side vs. dark side. You can have things like Rebel soldiers vs. Imperials, or smugglers and thieves fighting against the oppressive regime. One need only read in to human history and stories to realize that not every battle has to be fought by knights.

Smellmet likes this.
  20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I have the 2004 DVD double sets, where you get both the souped up version, and the original theatrical version. I plan on holding on to them as long as I can. :D