The Inhumans Marvel/IMAX

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why Gifted? I don't recall hearing any particularly negative buzz about it, and the trailers seem okay. I doubt it'll be as innovative and mindbending as Legion, but it doesn't look bad from what I've seen.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Why not wait and find out?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Is there some other way?

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nahhhh. Just want to make judgments based on the trailer.

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is the point of a Trailer if not to allow you to make up your mind whether you think something is good enough to watch or not?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Starbreaker likes this.
  6. Christopher

Making up your mind should not be a single step. It should be the end result of a process of learning as much as you can. A trailer creates a preliminary impression; it can only suggest that something might be good or bad, not conclusively establish whether it is. It's about possibility, not certainty. True, if you see little possibility from the trailer that something will be good, you can decline to investigate further -- but there's always the chance you could be wrong. Just as something that looks good from the trailers can turn out to be bad (e.g. Suicide Squad, whose trailers were terrific), so something with bad trailers can turn out good. There's no requirement to find out for sure if you don't want to, but one should be aware of the distinction between suspicion and certainty.

7. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I owe the makers of no film, TV show, book, comic or game anything. It's their responsibility to persuade me that their product is worth my limited time and money.

8. Christopher

Of course not, but that's not making up your mind whether it's good, it's just making up your mind whether you think it's worth the effort to find out.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tend to also use interviews, descriptions, and reviews to decide whether or not I want to watch a show or movie. There have been times where a trailer was meh, but everything else sounded great, so I watched the show/movie anyways.
    So far The Gifted looks way, way better than The Inhumans.

10. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who loves the Inhumans in the comics and thinks that The Gifted looks like hot garbage, I still have to agree with you. Inhumans is looking to be a complete train wreck, unfortunately.

11. Christopher

Maybe I'm just an incurable optimist, but so far I don't have a strong reaction to the Inhumans trailers either way, positive or negative. I'm not wowed, but the only thing that looks bad to me is Medusa's hair. Other than that, I don't see any obvious problems. I am curious to see how they handle the challenge of a lead character who never speaks, and Lockjaw looks adorable (and I'm not even a dog person).

Star Wolf likes this.
  12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Feel free to decide based on a trailer whether to watch something, but that's very different from deciding whether it's good or not (and whether or not it'll last more than one season).

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  14. Christopher

That article talks about a connection, but from the interview comments, it sounds to me like they plan to only briefly and obliquely acknowledge the "Nuhumans" of AoS and otherwise focus mainly on the Attilan Inhumans.

15. Turtletrekker

Well, sure. The Agents of Shield crew is out in space when these events happen. They have already apparently confirmed that there will be an episode of AOS acknowledging the events of Inhumans.

16. Christopher

Sure, but that doesn't mean it'll be reciprocal. AoS always acknowledges other MCU productions, even though they usually don't acknowledge it. So I expect that AoS will do its best to acknowledge Inhumans but that Inhumans will do the bare minimum to stay consistent with AoS.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Christopher

A bit, but it's still oddly short. It hardly seems to reach far enough to be useful, unless she can stretch it. It's also weird how straight and flat it is. If it were thicker and wavier, it'd be easier to believe that it could stretch out longer when it needed to.

19. Turtletrekker

And it still seems to me that this is probably a "reveal" scene for the uninitiated concerning her power.

A friend of mine made a good point after seeing the footage. He said that it may have come down to a budgetary choice between having the constantly coiling CGI hair or the 2000 pound teleporting dog. If that's what it came down to he said that he would much rather have the fully realized Lockjaw than the snakey hair.

20. Christopher

It doesn't need to be constantly coiling, it just needs to look as though it could be. Make it full and wavy and bouncy. Maybe make it in separate tresses with springy wires in their cores, so that the strands jiggle and bounce as she moves. That would inexpensively suggest the illusion that they're living, dynamic strands. Anything would be better than this flat, straight, bodiless hair that just hangs there.