The Inevitable TOS Reboot

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Search4, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Aeronnaex

Aeronnaex Lieutenant Red Shirt

I love these well thought out replies. Gene Roddenberry wanted swept back nacelles and a self-lit Enterprise in the 70’s. If that’s not enough to at least be open minded on the ship, then perhaps your time with Trek is truly over.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not too fond of how they light the ships on current Trek myself.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fan card and phaser replica turned in now!

4. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

I'm kind of optimistic about the Babylon 5 reboot and I enjoyed the Battlestar Galactic reboot, but the idea of rebooting TOS goes completely against what I love about Star Trek. It's a living continuing universe with history. Sure things from the past feel dated, they're from the past! You can't have a franchise set in three time periods hundreds of years apart and make them all feel contemporary.

In my personal opinion Trek should be pushing the story forward, not scribbling over what's already written. Especially as trying to improve upon episodes like City on the Edge of Forever is just going to make their writers look bad.

Like people have said there's a big empty space after The Motion Picture for them to play in.

Rahul and dupersuper like this.
  5. fireproof78

Unfortunately, that ship has long since gone to warp. And that's largely because Captain Kirk has the biggest name draw. SNW will live side by side with TOS to be sure, but stepping in to that era is how Trek functions now. Going forward is not as important as drawing in eyes.

6. Nerys Myk

That depends on what you think "the story" is. Is it linear? Or is it vignettes scattered throughout a larger tapestry? The five year mission is pretty sparse. More blank spaces than filled holes.

7. fireproof78

True enough, which even the comics are still trying to fill.

8. Nerys Myk

They got us through the fallow years in the 80s.

9. fireproof78

No, I meant recent comics. I wasn't a big comic reader in the 80s, as I read more books. Note, this isn't to sound snooty. I just didn't have access to comics save for one of the Mirror Universe sagas. Definitely wasn't TOS.

But, recent publications under IDW(?) are doing stories using stills from the crew in the TOS era.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Space is pretty huge, I think the 79 episodes scattered across five years works really well. Especially when you consider we spent six months of time in "The Paradise Syndrome".

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There's no big metastory in Trek worth preserving.

Every new era introduced in Trek is like every other, with minor tweaks. And this goes on for about 1000 years.

BillJ likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Haven't read a Trek comics in decades. Heard about the photo stuff by Byrne.

13. Nerys Myk

Most the episodes were wrapped up in days, if not hours. That's a lot of downtime over five years.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd recommend Star Trek: Crew, about Number One's career over a number of years.

dupersuper likes this.
  15. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

Personally I reckon the books are the ideal way to fill in the gaps between episodes, as the ship and crew can look like whatever you want them to. If your mental image of Spock is Ethan Peck and your Kirk looks like Chris Pine, then nothing's going to contradict that! Well, except maybe the cover.

ATimson, dupersuper and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  16. mazdaman

mazdaman Ensign Red Shirt

Lieutenant Leslie spinoff or GTFO ;

17. Nerys Myk

I'm fine with what ever actor is in the role. They don't need to be triplets. Pine and Wesley are playing Kirk, not Shatner.

18. starfleettanner

starfleettanner Commander Red Shirt

That's the trend with most dramatic media nowadays though...everything is DARK!

19. fireproof78

Space is dark.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I haven't consumed much Trek fiction of any kind other than the studio productions since the 80s, when I read some of the books to assist Dave Bischoff in writing one and out of an interest in submitting a proposal myself (never did, FWIW). I remember enjoying the DC comics run about the Mirror Universe that was done in 1984 or 85. It was, I think, better written and more imaginative than any of the TV usages of the premise since "Mirror, Mirror" itself.