The Hunger Games: Grade, Review, Discuss, Sequel news **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Mar 20, 2012.

?

How would you rate The Hunger Games?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2012.
  1. A

37 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. B

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. C

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Lead up was discussed here in case you are just becoming aware of the movie and the ensuing phenomenon. The movie opens in 3 days and tracking indicates that The Hunger Games is poised to blow open March records. The current record holder is Alice in Wonderland from two years ago.
    For those who like or need critics:
    RottenTomatoes
    MetaCritic
    Yahoo!Movies

In the past 12 days I finally read the first book and I must say it was a fast and fun read. The last 2/3 of the book are something of a page turner with only one real slow up in tension.

[​IMG]

So RATE, REVIEW, DISCUSS and may the odds be ever in it's favor!

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The reviews look good so far, which is encouraging. I liked the trilogy a lot, though I think the first is the strongest of the bunch.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The reviews seem to be positive so far, if not overwhelming in love with the movie. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Been wondering about this movie, is this another Twilight or something that is worth watching?

5. CaptainCanada

It's nothing like Twilight. The book is a pretty good YA dystopian sci-fi novel.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Didn't even recognize Jennifer Lawrence in that pic.

Can't say that I'm into this whole Hunger Games phenomenon, but it looks good and with all the buzz, I'll definately be checking it out this weekend.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but with Hollywood race-bending. :bolian:

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

that is good to hear

9. CaptainCanada

That whole debate regarding Katniss is pretty dubious, in my opinion.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm planning on seeing it this weekend. Can't wait.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Is Katniss not supposed to be white? I just read the book and all I can think of is they say people from 12 have a drab olive colored skin? I didn't take that to mean being a minority?

12. CaptainCanada

There was a bit of controversy around that in fan circles, because a lot of readers had taken that description to mean she might be mixed race.

It's not nearly on the level of The Last Airbender or anything like that, because her race was never stated in the books. I think the biggest issue was that the casting notices unambiguously stated that they wanted a white Katniss when the descriptions of her in the book would have allowed for a range of different races to play her.

13. Captain Craig

I've been described as having "olive skin" at times depending on whose doing the commenting. You'd call me "white" though.
    She is from District 12 that mines coal. I take that to be the former West Virginia area or even lower south cause the book specifically says they are in Appalachia. That range runs from WV down into TN but the coal rich portions of the range are more in KY, WV and the northern parts of the range. These mining areas have been mostly white for a long time, no reason to think that even in a dystopian world that should change too much. I see no casting "race bending" issues at hand.

14. CaptainCanada

Collins said in the past there was a lot of racial mixing in the future. Katniss' physical description (olive skin, dark hair) could fit any number of racial backgrounds, and I don't have a problem with Lawrence playing the part (she's been made up suitably), but I think it's legitimate to complain that an ambiguous physical description was explicitly made white before the cast process had even started, when any number of other backgrounds could also have fit.

15. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Since the movie isn't even out yet, I wonder who the three assholes are who already rated this an "F?"

We just discussed this book for book club last night, and I'm looking forward to the movie this weekend. Completely different experience from Twilight. Hunger Games has a plot and is written by someone who continued learning after Kindergarten.

16. Captain Craig

It hadn't occurred to me look at the poll results yet cause, well it's not out yet. That is a severe case of drive by biased voting. Wish as the OP I could scrub those out. They clearly aren't legit.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't that kind of thing happen in most of these film threads? I also wonder who they are as well.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course it's possible that they've seen the film since it's available through illegal means already...but I doubt it. They're just trolls.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Predictions of imminent blockbusterdom.

In addition to being FAR better marketed (I've never read The Hunger Games novels, but the ads grabbed me from the start), the movie benefits from having a lead actor who can project charisma even through the brief snippets that pre-release marketing affords.

I already know and like Jennifer Lawrence's Katniss just based on seeing about 12 seconds of her, total; I still have no clue who Taylor Kitsch's John Carter is supposed to be, and I've read all the John Carter novels. I can only imagine how befuddled people must be who've never heard of ERB.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

what does ERB stand for?