The Hunger Games: Grade, Review, Discuss, Sequel news **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Mar 20, 2012.

?

How would you rate The Hunger Games?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2012.
  1. A

37 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. B

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. C

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. F

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My best friend won't go to see this movie with me because she says it is aimed at teenage girl. I tried to explain it wasn't but she still insists that she doesn't want to see such a movie. Strange thing is that she has gone and seen all the Twilight movies but she thinks that it is different because they are about vampires.

She also think that this movie glorifies reality TV.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Buddy and I were going to go see it tonight but all of the screenings were sold out.

Utterly.

So tomorrow?

Nope.

Sold out.

The hell?!

So, next week, I guess. This week it's 21 Jumpstreet.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

oh god why?! see john carter before that.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Funny, I don't remember seeing any in it.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I haven't seen the movie yet. I'll be seeing it next week. Still, I have read the trilogy and I'm all excited to see it. Lenny Kravitz is definitely not the person I pictured when I pictured Cinna, but I figure he'll do an excellent job. He should have that smooth professionalism that Cinna had in the novels.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ I was pleasantly surprised by both Kravitz and Woody Harrelson (the two most WTF? casting decisions in the film). Both actors did a very good job. And while I'm at it, I'd say Jennifer Lawrence's performance was spot-on.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yeah, Woody Harrelson was indeed good. I think overall all of the cast did very well.

8. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never read the books, but hey, that didn't stop me with Harry Potter, did it? :D

I'm looking forward to this film. I think I'll try to take in a late screening on Monday -- I'm assuming it won't be too busy then.

It does seem like this movie is going to be huge. I hope it can surpass the March opening weekend record, currently held by Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (at $116.1 million).

9. Trekker4747

Says the guy with a The Hunger Games avatar and signature.

Anyway, John Carter looks like crap.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's odd, this whole phenemenon passed me by, I never even heard of it before but I keep seeing it's supposed to be some big deal.

11. Trekker4747

Yeah, I had no idea it was such a big deal either.

12. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quick question the actor who play president snow was he the same guy who was the leader of the :confused: robot army :confused: in materix revoloutions?:confused:

and woody harleson was awesome in this by the way.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

President Snow is being played by Donald Sutherland.
    The guy in the Matrix movies (the Architect) was played by Helmut Bakaitus.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there was only some site that you could find movie information on....

Just think a whole generation might only Donald Sutherland as that guy from the Hunger Games!

15. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'd call it a good adaptation that dances on the edge of being great.

I liked the new stuff, and I can see why they did it. It foreshadows the events of the latter movies more, and gives more of the Capitol's POV. The discussion of why they have a winner, in particular, I thought was a good scene.

Jennifer Lawrence was great, as expected. Actually, as the opening shots appeared it occurred to me just how similar Katniss' basic setup is to Ree in Winter's Bone (teenaged white trash girl who hunts and is responsible for caring for younger sibling(s) becauser her father is dead and her mother is non-functional. She's really an amazing actress.

I think Rue really needed another scene or two, but the actress playing her was very affecting and natural.

Also, and this something that's true of both the book and the movie, since we're told that this is a show constantly, I do wonder about the "career tributes". They're basically the villains of an 80s teen movie; in wrestling terms, they're the "heels" of the proceedings, and yet we're told they almost always win. That doesn't really seem that audience-friendly.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't seen the movie, will probably wait until it's on blu ray. But when I heard the Harrelson casting I thought it was spot on. Kravitz wasn't what I would've expected. Reading the books I pictured Malcolm McDowell as President Snow... I'll maintain that would've been a better casting choice than Donald Sutherland.

17. Trekker4747

:facepalm:

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

There's one bit at the end that I think didn't feel quite right, because of changes made earlier. In the book, solely from Katniss' POV, the decisions of the Gamemakers are invisible and inscrutable, with her only guessing at what they're doing at any given time. But in the movie we follow Seneca Crane through the entire process, only to not show him when he arrives at the culmination of his story and his inevitable/fatal error. Having spent so much time with him leading up to this moment, I think they really needed to show him making the decision to let both Katniss and Peeta live - it is, really, the moment on which the entire series turns.

19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

John Carter was much better than I expected. And I'm sure I'd still enjoy it more than a movie who's target demographic is teen girls.

YMMV

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

What movie would that be?