The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

Romulan_spy

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special dropped today on Disney+. Anyone watch it?

I watched it. I loved it. it is everything you would expect from a holiday special. It is charming, wonderful, funny and heartwarming. The music is also great. It has a lot of fun holiday songs. There is also a special musical number at the end that is really fun.

I just watched it, too, and loved every minute. I especially loved the focus on Mantis and how she just wanted to make Peter happy on Christmas because of her (not so surprising) relationship to him. I definitely teared up when Peter found out she's his sister.

If I had one complaint, it's that there wasn't nearly enough Nebula. Yeah, I know, it wasn't her story but I always need more Nebula!

Then i'll apparently be the dissenting voice here.

It was awful. Almost never laughed, the "story" didn't grip me, the acting performances were abysmal ( Bautista has shown he can be a far better actor than in this) and i don't get the point at all about this special. It fails as a standalone story and maybe even doesn't connect to the MCU that much. Really disappointed.

I know it's a hackneyed phrase, but "I laughed, I cried" is relevant here.

Sure, it was cheesy and corny, but a Christmas special can't help but be that to some degree. The heart of the episode was about the spirit of Christmas being wanting to do show your friends and family how much you care for them, and the third act (such as it was) pulled it off with surprising aplomb.

Just finished the special too. Harmless holiday fun not to be taken too seriously. Fun music, little bit of camp and a few touching moments.

Far better than another big IP holiday special….. :D ;)

Then i'll apparently be the dissenting voice here.

It was awful. Almost never laughed, the "story" didn't grip me, the acting performances were abysmal ( Bautista has shown he can be a far better actor than in this) and i don't get the point at all about this special. It fails as a standalone story and maybe even doesn't connect to the MCU that much. Really disappointed.

Bah humbug?

Looking forward to watching this somewhere this weekend.

Damn, I missed that. I figured the special was chock full of Easter eggs. I briefly glimpsed some sign at Knowhere saying "...now streaming!" but didn't catch what it was and I didn't want to be spending the episode repeatedly rewinding and pausing. I'll have to watch again to do that.

I found it fun. Pom Klementieff is great and Mantis was adorable, even (or especially?) when she was being a bit creepy. I liked Cosmo. Didn't mind at all that Pratt wasn't in it much - the reveal scene with Mantis still made me feel human emotions anyway.

If I had one complaint, it's that there wasn't nearly enough Nebula. Yeah, I know, it wasn't her story but I always need more Nebula!

The few seconds of her dancing were great though, and I thought she got the funniest line (the one about actors.)

My question "Is that a Go-bot?" was answered rather quickly. You can keep your Transformers Hasbro!

First gay bar in the MCU?

Pom Klementieff sells her lines so well.

After playing the game it was odd hearing Cosmo in this.

Damn it Disney, I don't want to Skip Credits. Of the people I recognize (besides the obvious) is 90s action guy Daniel Bernhardt as the Gobot, Flula Borg (Javelin from Suicide Squad) as Bartender, Rachel Luttrell (Teyla from Stargate Atlantis) as upside down cop and Maria Bakalova (Borat's daughter) as Cosmo.

I thought Santa Claus Conquers the Martians was public domain but it's in the credits. Maybe only public domain in the US?

Great fun, I enjoyed it. It was pretty much exactly what I was expecting...in a good way.

My question "Is that a Go-bot?" was answered rather quickly. You can keep your Transformers Hasbro!

First gay bar in the MCU?

Pom Klementieff sells her lines so well.

After playing the game it was odd hearing Cosmo in this.

Damn it Disney, I don't want to Skip Credits. Of the people I recognize (besides the obvious) is 90s action guy Daniel Bernhardt as the Gobot, Flula Borg (Javelin from Suicide Squad) as Bartender, Rachel Luttrell (Teyla from Stargate Atlantis) as upside down cop and Maria Bakalova (Borat's daughter) as Cosmo.

I thought Santa Claus Conquers the Martians was public domain but it's in the credits. Maybe only public domain in the US?

Recognized Cy-Kill straight off, along with Flula Borg (Though possibly more from The Rookie and Pitch Perfect), Mark Hamill but missed Rachel Luttrell.

As for the rest, I had fun with it

Ah, I was right with my identification of that film! I figured it was. I love that Bacon watched it straight as oppose to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version, although that would've been awesome, too.

Back