*~*~The Great J/C Thread~*~*

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Tachyon, Feb 12, 2009.

1. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, as you noted yourself, it's different. To me, it's a LOT different, but I realize that is subject to interpretation.

I suspect that another romantic has joined the discussion! :)

2. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

^ yes i am LOL. the chemistry between them cannot be denied in my book. :D

3. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hello dear! :D

4. Tachyon

And writers should also pay some attention to the chemistry between the actors and not "forcing" some on screen relationships, if there is nothing there.

5. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

^ word to that! i have some friends in my PSP group that are casual watchers and when i brought up J/C, went "omg why didn't they hook up?! they had it bad!"

if the casual fan can see it....ummm IT'S THERE, you stupid idiot producers!

6. Tachyon

An example from another TV show: I have watched some "Without A Trace" recently and Jack and Samantha have some thing going on between them. I am not a fan of the show, but I watch it if I happen to be near TV at the time it airs. Personally I don't see any sparks between Jack and Samantha, so watching those little talks they have with each other and hints what could eventually happen between them is more or less insignificant for me. If those scenes were not there, I would have never even thought about such a pairing in the first place.

7. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

^ Jack and Samantha are exes (i used to watch WaT).

(do you have instant messengers? IM me lol.)

8. Tachyon

Only Skype. ;)

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And she was still the XO when the Cardassians ran the station.

Look how well that turned out as a lesson in co-operation.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched Resolutions and man all those things that could have been. Much in the same way my problems with Human Error by not taking the next step with Seven by having a magical virus type thing, this episode fails to take the next step in Janeway and Chakotay's relationship. Pity there was no scene explaining why they had to go back to the status quo. Other than that and the boring monkey, it was a decent show but man the possibilities after it ends were right there.

11. Tachyon

The end scene of Resolutions was so bittersweet!

(Though a little confusing, when they're supposed to check various ship systems, yet they ended up sitting there facing forward and doing nothing. And that's a sign that I have watched the episode perhaps one time too many. Lol.)

12. Cheile

Cheile Ensign Red Shirt

^ they were simply trying to pretend their moments of closeness never happened... :coughfailcough:! ;)

13. Tachyon

:lol:

14. joyofvgr

joyofvgr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which only proved even more that it did happen. And what about Coda? Given that they must have had that relationship on New Earth, then Janeway wanted to celebrate life, after her experience in Coda, with moonlight and a bottle of champagne, what do you think happened on that sail boat. Yet TPTB simply dropped the whole subject matter without explanation. I just don't get it. :confused:

15. JustKate

And good for J and C (that is, going back to things as they were), I say!

Sorry. Honestly, I will NOT interrupt every "Ooh, but they are so magic together!" ::sigh:: discussion with my ethical/situational concerns. You guys deserve to have your fun, after all, and after all this is "The Great J/C Thread."

But every now and then, I hope you don't mind too much if I mention that I personally think the show is a lot better as is than it would have been if they'd let J/C blow up into a full-fledged romance. You will not believe me when I say this, but I would bet that quite a few of you would have found the resulting show...kind of disappointing.

And I personally wouldn't have liked it one little bit.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled yearning for what might have been. ;)

16. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

JustKate,

ANY show is better off with the tension instead of the actual romance!

Paris/Torres has no appeal for me because it actually happened on screen. Same true for Scully/Mulder. X-Files were better before they came together in the last seasons.

mood: more tension, please.

17. JustKate

I thought about saying just that, es, but I decided to be diplomatic. And you see how it worked out? It was said, but I didn't have to be the one to say it. ;)

18. Tachyon

Tension is good for me, too. I guess that is the reason why majority of the J/C fic is about them getting together (how the tension is solved) than actually telling a story of them together already.

Tom and B'Elanna were okay on screen couple for me, but once Odo and Kira (DS9) got together, that was a 'meh' moment for me. I prefered when Odo loved her from the distance.

And if J/C had happened on the screen, some may have complained anyway. BUT if it had happened in a way that Workforce was originally written, that would have been amaxing, because the tension would have been back after the two-parter.

19. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

This would not be allowed in the current military, I am pretty sure. You don’t command your spouse in a dangerous mission (and in the case of Voyager, that’s exactly what their initial pursuit of the Maquis was – let alone being stranded in the DQ). I know that if both are in the military and have children, there is a rule that only one can be deployed in a war zone at any one time. I’m not sure what happens if they’re childless, though.

The reasons are, it's too distracting and stressful for both parties, and besides, nobody wants to create a bunch of orphans.[/quote]

What I don't quite understand here is the strict comparison you make with today. Live was very different on earth 400 years ago and I'm sure it will be again in another 400 years.

I just don't think we can make such strict comparisons with the US military of today. Besides there are other countries with other military structures and strategies. ;)

On top of that I don't think it's quite fair to make the demands you do of people stranded 70 years from home. To me that's a completely different situation than being deployed to Iraq or some other war zone.

If Janeway had any choice, I'm sure she'd agree with you, but since her choices are limited, I'm not so sure she always would. Usually the circumstances make the situation and the circumstances here are completely different than today's US military.

She might be a captain and it might be a Starfleet ship, but I think their extremely unusual situation calls for extremely unusual solutions at times. :)

But I still love ya! :) And I love that we disagree - love to disagree. *huggles* I'm a sap and a hugger, I know, but you've got to love me for it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  20. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

Love tension, tension is good. *nods*