Spoilers The game changing Voq theory

Something's up with Lorca, to be sure, but I doubt that Tyler/Voq is a double bluff. Even though the signs seemed obvious to many of us all along, there were also far too many people who didn't pick up on them at all for it to have realistically been intentional misdirection, methinks. But we'll see, won't we...

I find it far more likely that Lorca is an agent from the Mirror Universe than the idea that he's the Klingon spy sent back to Discovery to eventually deliver the spore hub drive into Klingon hands. I can sort of buy into the concept that our Lorca was either kidnapped and taken into the Mirror Universe or may even have been killed and that the guy we've been seeing since his first appearance is an Imperial Terran officer sent by his side to acquire more advanced Federation technology from our universe. Even if that isn't the case it's certainly a better explanation for a lot of his behavior than him being a Klingon sleeper agent who was programmed while aboard the prison ship.

I find it far more likely that Lorca is an agent from the Mirror Universe than the idea that he's the Klingon spy sent back to Discovery to eventually deliver the spore hub drive into Klingon hands. I can sort of buy into the concept that our Lorca was either kidnapped and taken into the Mirror Universe or may even have been killed and that the guy we've been seeing since his first appearance is an Imperial Terran officer sent by his side to acquire more advanced Federation technology from our universe. Even if that isn't the case it's certainly a better explanation for a lot of his behavior than him being a Klingon sleeper agent who was programmed while aboard the prison ship.

Lorca IS an MU imposter. The real Lorca died on the Buran. And while I do hope it's a double misdirection on CBS part, I highly doubt they have the ability to keep this a secret. Unfortunately it is probably true that Voq is Tyler in some fashion (surgery, memory implant, etc)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to hope that only Voq's consciousness is the sleeper inside Tyler (it just seems so silly and fantastical), because I'm starting to like him and I'd like to have him stick around. Also, the logistics of surgically altering a Discovery Klingon into a human seem way less practical than back in the good old TOS-TNG eras, and having Tyler actually be physically Voq feels even less 'realistic' than having his mind/consciousness/spirit/lifeforce mind sifted over.

As for Lorca, I really like him too. I don't want him to be some random villain in the end.. I'd like the stuff about the Buran to be fully explained and add to his character arc so when all this is done, the crew has a chance to be a crew together, dammit! Or if he HAS to be some mirror universe agent, I will accept him switching sides and saving the day at the end because the (lol) warmth and kindness he experienced in the prime universe was enough to eventually turn him away from the 'eeeeevil' mirror universe. If he has to, let him sacrifice himself to send them home.

In the end, these two became so likable I can't stand to think of them as villains.

I'm not sure this show is about heroes and villains. On a number of levels, and perhaps depending on the differeing views of different observers, many or most of the characters are intended to be viewed as protagonists in some respects/contexts, and as antagonists in others. Sometimes in the very same moment. Duality. Moral ambiguity, not moral absolutism. It's rather refreshing—if not so entirely new to Star Trek as some might make it out—not to know whom you're supposed to be rooting for all the time.

-MMoM:D

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to hope that only Voq's consciousness is the sleeper inside Tyler (it just seems so silly and fantastical), because I'm starting to like him and I'd like to have him stick around. Also, the logistics of surgically altering a Discovery Klingon into a human seem way less practical than back in the good old TOS-TNG eras, and having Tyler actually be physically Voq feels even less 'realistic' than having his mind/consciousness/spirit/lifeforce mind sifted over.

As for Lorca, I really like him too. I don't want him to be some random villain in the end.. I'd like the stuff about the Buran to be fully explained and add to his character arc so when all this is done, the crew has a chance to be a crew together, dammit! Or if he HAS to be some mirror universe agent, I will accept him switching sides and saving the day at the end because the (lol) warmth and kindness he experienced in the prime universe was enough to eventually turn him away from the 'eeeeevil' mirror universe. If he has to, let him sacrifice himself to send them home.

In the end, these two became so likable I can't stand to think of them as villains.

Yeah I really like Lorca. Really growing on me as a captain over the last few episodes so I agree that I hope he doesn't turn out to be a villain.

I read somewhere else on here that some people think he may only last a season and that he was perhaps too big an actor to stay with this but I hope he stays for the duration of the full series, as long as that may be.

Some kind of story arc where he finally finds peace with his past and grows stronger and more moralistic because of it.

I've only seen Shazad Latif on Toast of London (very funny show by the way) but the more I listen to Vow speak and look at his mannerisms I'm 95% certain that it is him under all that make up. It's pretty weird that the producers would go for an actor like iqbal who only has one credit to his name for such a demanding role. Having seen Javid Iqbal's work on 'Guilty: The Webseries' I don't think he'd have the range to pull off a Klingon.

Hi,

Hi,

It’s fair that you, being an avid fan, want your characters portrayed by someone who can deliver on that character. That being said, the Javid Iqbal you are dragging on here is not the Javid Iqbal cast for the Klingon role. The Javid Iqbal you are dragging on here is a kind and respected member of Chicago’s Comedy community. The negative comments and defamation of his work in regards to this production are unjust as he is not the person cast in this role.

I ask that you take them down out of good conscience and that you’re critiquing the wrong actor’s work.

Also, that is his real name. And as we see, more than one person has it.

Hi,

Hi,

It’s fair that you, being an avid fan, want your characters portrayed by someone who can deliver on that character. That being said, the Javid Iqbal you are dragging on here is not the Javid Iqbal cast for the Klingon role. The Javid Iqbal you are dragging on here is a kind and respected member of Chicago’s Comedy community. The negative comments and defamation of his work in regards to this production are unjust as he is not the person cast in this role.

I ask that you take them down out of good conscience and that you’re critiquing the wrong actor’s work.

I see nothing negative in that comment.

I think this is really just a coincidence. There are a lot of Facebook accounts with the name. Who knows how many more people have it. Whatever realistic sounding fake name they would have chosen there was bound to be a few persons with that name.

Hi,

I understand you want your characters portrayed with the justice they deserve, but you’re critiquing the wrong person and work to base your argument. The Javid Iqbal from Guilty is not the one cast in the role, but he is a respected member of Chicago’s comedy community. The ungrounded negative remarks are unfair to his work, and make sense in your argument, as he is not the actor chosen for this role. I ask that you kindly take them down out of good faith and misidentification.

Thank you,

Nick

Hi,

I understand you want your characters portrayed with the justice they deserve, but you’re critiquing the wrong person and work to base your argument. The Javid Iqbal from Guilty is not the one cast in the role, but he is a respected member of Chicago’s comedy community. The ungrounded negative remarks are unfair to his work, and make sense in your argument, as he is not the actor chosen for this role. I ask that you kindly take them down out of good faith and misidentification.

Thank you,

Nick

Are you even reading the posts your quoting?

Hi,

Hi,

Not going to happen, pal. I'm not taking down anything. Based on what I saw, i don't think Iqbal has the range to play a Klingon. Considering 'Guilty the webseries' is his only credit I can only base my assessment on that. There is a massive difference between critiquing a performance and defamation. Actors, get critiqued all the time, if they can't deal with that, then they shouldn't be actors.

Welcome to the internet, buddy. You should get used to people having a different opinion than you.

Hi,

Thank you,

Nick

We're not talking about the one from "Guilty", we're talking about the one listed in Star Trek: Discovery's credits. Sucks to be whoever it is because they have the same name.

Hi,

Hi,

Hi,

Thank you,

Nick
Nick, you're projecting things onto people that they never said and making demands of our posters that you don't have the right to make. No one has expressed any criticism that is damaging to the Javid Iqbal you're talking about (or any harsh criticism about anyone, period), and it seems as if there's some confusion about whether it's even the same person. Please refrain from making any more demands of the posters here. I don't know if this person is your client or just a friend, but you're not serving him well by ordering around people on the internet who aren't even giving him a hard time.

Lorca might be using Discovery to try and go back in time to save the Buran. That might've been his goal from the beginning. I'm not sure why Burnham is so important to him, and why he is so protective of her now, but I have to assume she ties into his secret plans. Or, there's nothing to it. I've overestimated the show before.

As for Ash, I have no doubt that we will not be surprised, whichever method is revealed that he was/is somehow Voq, and Burnham will get burned.

Back