The Flash - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

• First episode and we get a season 10 spoiler. I hope the show goes the distance.

• We got a decent setup for more super-powered heroes and villains. Will they all be laying low and appearing one at a time? I hope that the show can do something more clever than that.

• I like the bright and vibrant atmosphere of the show.

• Grant Gustin was fantastic. He's a worthy Flash.

• The show didn't hit the ground running in every respect. I'm not fully onboard with all the characters. Hopefully that'll change as the show progresses.

• I'm trying to think of how they could have made the running effects better. I did like one scene when he was running against the tornado though.

• What did the sign on the empty cage say? I missed it. Was it "Grodd"?

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Crap, I didn't realize this started tonight. Hopefully the official site will put up the episode.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed the first episode of the Greatest American Hero first run, and then the next 6 reruns until it was too old and crap to be rerun.

I downloaded it a couple years ago only to discover that it was just old and crap. I sent evil thoughts back though time to my 6 year old self for creating this ridiculous imperative I was forced to follow.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CTV's got both series up here, and they scheduled Flash in front of Agents of SHIELD.

I'm thinking that there's a joke in this fact somewhere, but the set-up eludes me, never mind the punch line.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Guy, you don't know how much this helps us understand what is behind your sometimes difficult to interpret posts. The time-paradox you have created in your mind as given you some kind of pts and you are carrying on conversations in various quantum realities at the same time!

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I liked it. It had the positive feel a Flash series should have. Barry was great but detective West was all over the place. Iris was ok and our scientists were good. I liked the tag with the future reveal of the crisis. Nothing like jumping in with both feet.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In reverse order

- Yeah, I read Grodd too. So I guess it doesn't get intelligence from a secret Ape City?

- The effects definitely don't seem the best to me. But I grew up with Star Trek TOS & Lost In Space...so I can forgive it if everything else stays as good or gets better

-
    - Which ones didn't you like? (i'll write up a bit in a minute)

- I like Grant Gustin too -- but Question for Flash fans...(n a minute)

- I like a more family friendly show, and this fits the bill..less dark (in more than 1 way) than other shows

- I'm fine with a slow roll out of villains...as long as they break up "Freak of the Week" with other types of stories (like the Arrow crossover?)

- Is that an allusion to Barry disappearing the Crisis on Infinite Earths?

===

Other thoughts & questions

I actually liked the characters

Det. West kind of reminds me of nuTrek Pike (that's a good thing)

I like that Iris & Barry's relationship will be slow going. They know each other, so there's an actual relationship already, but

In the previews , was Barry kissing Felicity? I hope so -- they had great chemistry in his Arrow appearance.

FLASH Fans -- how does this show's Barry compare to the ones you've seen/read before?

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

I imagine whatever powered up so many people also powered up Grodd's intellect. So no Gorilla City in our future.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Guy is far more interesting than that episode.

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Grodd may have been intelligent but lacking his mental powers until the explosion, thus keeping gorilla city alive.
    As a long time comic Barry fan his character was dead on.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Man, you guys must be spoiled. Those were pretty great effects for television!

I thought it was a good pilot. It didn't have a breakout character like Gotham's Penguin, but it definitely held my interest better than Gotham.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to my TV listings, CW will rerun the pilot of The Flash tomorrow on Wednesday immediately after the season premier of Arrow.

The Flash was considerably better than I was afraid it would be. Unlike Gotham, I'm committing the series to my DVR.

13. Agent Richard07

I wouldn't say that I don't like anyone, it just feels as if they aren't fully developed yet and I haven't warmed up to them as a result but as I said, I expect (or hope) to come around.

My first thought was... If they were raised together, they should feel more like brother and sister. Then again, she's hot, they aren't related and they did start off as friends, so when I think about it further, the two of them not getting to the point where it's totally incestuous does seem plausible.

I didn't see a preview but Felicity is slated to make an appearance so I'm guessing it's her.

I just saw the 1990 pilot and the next episode after that over the last two days. That one was good then and this one is good now. As for origin story and costume, I'd probably give the edge to the 1990 version. And like this new show, that one also had a single cool super-speed scene. It was also very 90s with the clothing. You know, that's one thing the new show missed... Having Barry's clothes fall apart with super speed.

I'm really happy to have John Wesley Shipp and Amanda Pays onboard for this one, by the way. I hope we also get Paula Marshall. Too bad they let her go after the pilot.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It was pretty good. A promising start, and Gustin is very good. The writing got a bit hokey a couple of times, particularly Oliver's scene. "It chose you?" Come on. But while the reuse of "Run, Barry, run!" in the climax, setting up Harrison Wells as a surrogate father figure for Barry, was definitely hokey, it was actually kind of effective.

Some definite parallels with the '90 series, like the costume originating as a STAR Labs prototype and being needed to protect against air friction, the ear thingies being radios, the Flash having support from STAR scientists who test out his speed on a track (or in this case a Ferris Air runway), etc.

Not sold on Iris yet. Patton is fairly attractive, but her character is a little annoying with her aggressive scientific illiteracy, which makes her come off as rather dim.

The show is definitely following the accelerated pacing of Arrow's plotting, and then some. Smallville had someone new find out Clark Kent's secret maybe every couple of seasons. Arrow's first season had it happen just about every four episodes. Here, Barry starts out with three people knowing his secret, and in his very first outing in costume, he's unmasked and exposed to his surrogate father. I was really expecting they'd keep Det. West in a mildly antagonistic role as the guy who's skeptical of Barry's theories, but they short-circuited that right off the bat. Maybe they didn't want him to be too similar to Quentin Lance.

It always annoys me in things like this when in the long shot you see the speedster zooming by at huge speed, but then you cut to the mid-closeup and their arms and legs are pumping at normal running speed. Even many animated versions of the Flash do this. By all rights, his arms and legs should be a blur, unless we're in super-slow motion. (Smallville actually did quite well with the latter.)

I'm never crazy about tornado effects because they almost always get the fundamental nature of a tornado wrong. They assume the visible funnel is the entire thing, the only part that does damage -- as in the aftermath here where the hole in the barn was only as wide as the funnel cloud. But the cloud is just the part you can see. The majority of the tornado is the much wider column of rotating air that creates that funnel in the middle, the way water swirling down a drain will create a much smaller funnel. It's the devastatingly strong winds around the funnel that are the real driving force of the tornado and that do the most damage.

They were okay. I didn't have any huge problems with them. My main problem is with the hype. I saw an interview with the producers saying the effects were unlike anything we'd ever seen before and were a quantum leap above the '90 series, but they really aren't that different from the '90 show's effects, just with more animated lightning bolts.

Barry died in CoIE, and stayed dead for what by today's comics' standards was an extremely long time. So if it is an allusion, it doesn't seem to be an exact one.

No, that was there. When he ran the 600 miles to Starling City, he had to stop and shed his jacket because it was smoldering.

15. Agent Richard07

The effects were certainly good, I can't complain but I still find myself wondering how they could better do someone moving at super speed. A less cartoonish streak behind Barry? Faster arm and leg movement for the close-ups? I dunno.

16. Agent Richard07

The 1990 version also did a great job of fleshing out Tina McGee and establishing her relationship with Barry in the pilot. This new show didn't give us that when it came to the STAR Labs trio or even with Iris.

17. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I also like the little reference in the future paper about the Queen/Wayne Merger

18. Agent Richard07

Yeah...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately Arrow will be over before that happens but we could probably see the start of it if the show last long enough and if history isn't changed.

I wonder what the red skies thing is about.

And here's a pic from Emily Bett Rickards' Instagram page…

She will appear in 1x04: "Going Rogue" and 1x08: "Flash vs Arrow".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude.

Wait a couple hours.

Some filthy foreigners are not going to see this for months.

20. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now you know how I felt when we had discussions on Continuum! :guffaw: