The Flash - Final Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mick Rory from Legends of Tomorrow was Chronos.

Lady Chronos is his wife?

In comics she is Ryan Choi's (evil) girlfriend.

I like the face paint mask, even if it's sorta racist.

Korean/Candian actress "forced" to wear a Japanese Geisha face paint?

Although in comics, her head wear is the copy of what a white dude had been wearing since the 1960s, but I always assumed it was a cloth mask rather than face paint. There's egg on my face.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Watching these episodes lately, it occurs to me that The Flash is one of two fictional franchises I know of with a storyline involving the lead characters being visited by their daughter from the future and interacting with her for an extended period, the other being Sailor Moon. I'm trying to think if there are any other series that use that idea. The Terminator is peripherally similar, since the heroine's future son sends his father-to-be back to her, but that's not quite the same as the weirdness of the protagonists actually meeting their future offspring and knowing what their future holds.

3. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Allegra talked to Cecile at the end of one of the previous episodes about moving into an empty room so she's living there.

Yea. I'm not really sure why Barry would not be more suspicious of people coming into their base especially with that 'electrician' not even knowing what a circuit breaker box was called right off the bat.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Charmed had the future sons visiting them. One was even a big reveal,

5. Christopher

You mean the original series, right? I don't remember much about its storylines.

Come to think of it, the Charmed remake had a storyline where the eldest sister actually surrogate-carried her future self's unborn daughter for much of a season, presumably to handwave the actress's pregnancy.

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You did have Rachel Summers(Grey) in the x-men comics although the future she came from was avoided.

7. Christopher

Oh yeah, and Cable too, IIRC, though I don't recall if he interacted much with the present-day versions of his parents.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If we're talking about the comics, Cable was eventually revealed as having been raised by Scott and Jean in the future for about the first 10 years of his life, through some mind time travel thing on Scott/Jean's part. After that was established Cable generally acknowledges their relationship, especially in modern comics where he tends to stick to the "present" and interact with the core X-Men more then he did in the old X-Force days.

9. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DOCTOR WHO -- River Song's arc.

10. Christopher

Oh, that's right. I forgot about her parentage. This is turning out to be a more common trope than I thought.

Although the River arc isn't quite the same, because her interactions with her parents-to-be were only in occasional episodes (a number of them before the relationship was known), while in The Flash and Sailor Moon, the future daughter stuck around for a whole season or more as a regular character. That's the part I find particularly weird -- the child coming back to live alongside an earlier version of her parents for an extended period, with little concern for what effect that regular interaction would have on the timeline.

11. Guy Gardener

Cable and Phoenix, from the X-Men Comics.
    Franklin and Valeria Richards from Fantastic Four Comics.
    Dani Cage, Luke and Jessica's Kid, but in Spider-Man comics, she stayed away from mom and dad.
    Lyra, daughter of Thundra and Hulk from Hulk comics
    Impulse is the Grandson of the Flash in impulse comics
    Booster Gold is Rip Hunter's father in Booster Gold Comics.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Lucifer also had a season-long plotline about a daughter from the future traveling back in time and meeting and getting know younger versions of her parents.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

This might be the first time I’ve ever been tempted to fast forward through scenes of something I’d never watched before. Every moment of the Chester and Allegra Show was superfluous. Not even thematically related to the A plot, let alone peripherally connected. It was like watching bits of two completely different shows inexplicably stitched together. If this has been the first episode of the show I’d have never watched another. And I generally like this show. But man, a one sided phone conversation with Cecile and Joe about Gerbers vs Heinz baby food would have been less problematic.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Your thought process is mind boggling

Commander Troi and Ovation like this.
  15. Christopher

I saw it more as kabuki makeup. Face paint and masks are a major part of kabuki tradition, and the character was named Dr. Tao, which can be a Japanese surname (though it's also Chinese and Vietnamese). If Tao/Lady Chronos was of Japanese ancestry, it's a nice idea that she based her makeup design on her cultural heritage.

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I did think at first the impostor was Iris. We see her last relaxing at their apartment and then she shows up at Star Labs. Was rather suspicious.

17. Guy Gardener

I've read 25 issues of All-New Atom, which is written and drawn by a platoon of White People.

(Originally in the comics) Ryan Choi is Cantonese, and Lady Chronos is from Hong Kong.

So that answers that.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It does??

19. Guy Gardener

A white lady wrote a story about the authentic Asian experience.

There's another guy in there, fat and Chinese, and his affectionate nick name is "Panda".

Totally racist, but not intentionally offensive.

20. Christopher

The Lady Chronos in the comics is named Jia, surname unknown. The Lady Chronos in the Arrowverse is named Inspector Tao, first name unknown. They're not necessarily the same character. And the show can't be blamed for any racial insensitivity in the comics.

Although Chronos's look in the show is a fairly faithful interpretation of her design in the comics.