Spoilers The Falcon and Winter Soldier discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Must have been that transporter accident at Comedy Central.

2. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember sitting down as a little kid to watch the regularly scheduled rerun of the old 60s Spider-Man cartoon, only to be momentarily heart broken when they aired another show instead, until I saw it had a bunch of super heroes! It was like a Marvel Super Friends. I was so excited I ran out during the first commercial break to the back deck where my mother was hanging laundry on the clothesline to tell her. She was of course not really interested, but humoured me.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If Peter had told Gwen who he was, she'd likely have survived.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you forget that Gwen had kids with Norman?

You don't kill the mother of your children by accident.

Well...

Brian Banner did.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hope the next film/series features Torres in the Falcon gear, only in the green and gold of Sam’s first comics costume and Torres’ comic counterpart.

6. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

So, there was supposedly at least one cut where the end title card swapped to "Captain America and the White Wolf." Spellman apparently really liked it, but Marvel opted for the CAandWS option instead.

I absolutely hate the White Wolf codename for Bucky, but part of me thinks that would have made for a more impactful final beat as Bucky has pretty definitively left the Winter Soldier behind him in the MCU.

Gaith likes this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, that really sucks. I wish Marvel had gone with Spellman's original idea.

Gaith and David cgc like this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, since they made such a big deal out
    The shield goes all the way back to when he was doing The Colbert Report. I was actually just about the ask if he still had it on The Late Show, but you just answered that question for me.
    Since the made such a big deal out of him not being the Winter Soldier any more, it would have been nice if they'd made that change too.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So I binged this in its entirety last night. Loved every single second of it.

It managed to execute an exciting story while still delivering a poignant and relevant message without resorting to needless, tap-yourself-on-the shoulder virtue signaling.

The action was solid all around, but the standout was definitely the fight sequence of Sharon hunting the hunters around the cargo containers. The pacing and suspense-building of the camerawork was nothing short of phenomenal.

The acting was better than average as these things go. Lumbly was definitely the high-mark (as he often is). And Kasumba stole every seen she was in. And I really hope Kellyman gets her big break soon. Though it's Mackie and Shan's chemistry that really makes the whole thing work.

*And as sad as it is for me to say, I think JLD was the weak link here. I thought her performance was way too try-hard over the top cringe.

It gets an A- from me.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

11. The Nth Doctor

Oh, right, I forgot that's coming out tomorrow!

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I get the logic of keeping the Winter Soldier part so they weren't changing the whole title, but clearly both men had moved on, and accepted who there were meant to be so it's a shame Bucky's arc wasn't rewarded (although to be honest I was kind hoping for Captain America and Bucky Barnes. I'm not the greatest CA comics fan in the world but I always recalled Bucky just being Bucky :shrug:

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I would be happy if Bucky took up the name "Nomad".

Grendelsbayne and Booji like this.
  14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just finished the season and I have to admit after 3 episodes I felt lukewarm to the entire plot and pacing of the show though Zemo was wonderful. The last 3 episodes were a complete change and the finale was OUTSTANDING. The real triumphant moment of the finale and the show was Sam laying out bear the seismic social problems faced not only in the MCU world but in reality of all the viewers watching the show. The scene with Sam and the GRC members was breathtakingly powerful and stands out as a scene to remembered for generations to come.

I look forward to a 2nd season with the new mantle "Captain America & The Winter Solider" though I would like The Winter Soldier name to eventually be dropped as Bucky has moved on from that past IMO.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Weird, I found the finale simply AWFUL. Clearly 3 episodes got merged into 1 during the pandemic, so everything was wrong. The pacing, the story, the resolution... all just... off. And Sam's speech was so cringeworthy... Telling the actual decision-makers to "do better"? Good job Sam, but you actually just said NOTHING. They had real problems to solve, and that requires difficult decisions. Someone is always going to get hurt. Just sickening level of naiveté in that speech. Awful all around. Basically the worst of CW shows with a bigger budget.

16. The Nth Doctor

Just watched the Assembled episode. It was really fun seeing them build up the series, dealing with all of the road bumps along the way. Not just COVID, but they originally intended to film the Prague scenes in Puerto Rico, even after its first earthquake, but once the second one struck, they had to reverse course out of safety.

One thing in particular stood out: Malcolm Spellman wrote Sam's big speech/conversation with the GRC as part of a long conversation he had with Anthony Mackie over the phone. He developed every step of it along the way align with Mackie's comfort level about the dialogue and how to say it. I love hearing about collaborations like that which you wouldn't know about otherwise.

On a weird note, I noticed this odd titles card at the end of the credits:

[​IMG]

I even went and searched to make sure I hadn't gone crazy. Nope, The Incredible Hulk is not streaming on Disney+ for obvious reasons.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I wonder if they're working on getting it and put that up early, or if it was just a screw up?

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah ok, no wonder that speech made no sense. Actors should never be consulted on their lines. Leave the writing to the professionals.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Man, the looming streaming war is going to be like the Mongols marching through Central Asia and Middle East.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? Where's: "Cut the check!" ?? ;)

Turtletrekker likes this.