Spoilers The Falcon and Winter Soldier discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Counterpoint: if you deliberately headbutt a concrete wall, you deserve a concussion.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So pardon my ignorance, but when Sam became Captain America in the comics, was he basically just Falcon with a star-spangled costume and/or a shield? Or did he take some sort of super-soldier serum to make him as strong as Steve or Bucky?

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was just a slight costume change. He still had the wings

Captaindemotion likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Perhaps you're both right but the way he delivered that line seriously grossed me out and it wasn't simply because he felt inferior. I loathe ignorance and that comment reeked of it.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll admit, I was a bit distracted watching the episode this week due to stuff that came up in my own life today (nothing too serious, but enough that it kind of weighed on my mind anyway) but holy hell, that ending definitely had me riveted.

Anwar likes this.
  6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Imagine if they'd adapted this for the last scene.

[​IMG]

But using Lamar instead.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nope. He was Falcon with a red white and blue costume and a shield.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Comic Book Cap and Bucky aren't superstrong as MCU Cap and Bucky. So that's not really a part of becoming Captain America.

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What Batman are you reading?????

Jinn and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely the best way to find out who should be the next Cap is by lifting up Thor’s hammer

Ar-Pharazon, LaxScrutiny and Saul like this.
  11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

What Captain America stories has he been reading?

12. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except Hela destroyed it and Cap returned the one Thor got from the past.

13. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So in the next movie is Jane wielding Stormbreaker?

14. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I find nothing sympathetic about her, she is a terrorist and a coold blooded killer! The claim that she kills for a better future doesn't make her sympathetic, that's an excuse that real terrorists are bringing up all the time. In the end, they don't care about other people ... it's their own lives that matter the most.

The death of others is just collateral damange on the way to their so called better future. But their better future almost always means a worse future for all the others. Just take a look at all the dictators who came to power as a result of a so called revolution. In the beginning they claimed to fight for a good cause, and then ended up killing hundreds and thousands. The sad thing is that at least one of them is still considered a hero by a lot of people all over the world, despite his crimes against humanity ... but that's a discussion for another time.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  15. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One person's terrorist can be another person's freedom fighter/revolutionary.

Pretty sure the British felt the American colonists were terrorists even if that word wasn't used as often as it is today. The Sons of Liberty carried out 'terrorist' actions against the British. They burned down buildings, destroyed goods, they even physically threatened(and carried out those threats) against Colonists who owned businesses if those businesses didn't join a Sons of Liberty backed boycott against the British.

The old quote of "history is written by the victors"

It would appear the 'displaced' people are in large part actual SURVIVORS who were not snapped, who then were welcomed into countries that had lost half their population and needed the help. They spent years building lives in those countries and then the snap was undone and they were just kicked out or forced into relocation camps with scarcity of food and medical supplies.

Anwar likes this.
  16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Lemar's death was both predictable and disappointing. I found myself hoping as soon as they showed him tied up that the episode wasn't gonna end with him being murdered and setting Walker on a decisively villainous path and then... well... they did. What a waste of a character and an actor.

Also my sympathy for Karli dried right up with her little "You know, I've tracked down your home... and your kids... and I know your back yard..." speech to Sarah. How did she think Sam was gonna take that, I mean really?

I think this show is trying to do waaaay too much for 6 episodes. Only two episodes left? And they're covering the John Walker story, Madripoor, Sharon Carter, the Flag Smashers, the aftermath of the Blip....?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  17. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Families were thrown out of the their homes, living as refugees, many sick, starving, dieing. Heavily armed government thugs were sitting on supplies, eating to their heart's content.
    What Karli did was no different than what Steve Rogers did to countless Nazis during WW II, and for much the same reasons. What Karli didn't have was a media campaign promoting "The Star Spangled Girl."

18. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

"A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as "our rebellion." It is only in the third person - "their rebellion" - that it becomes illegal."
    --- Dr. B. Franklin

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I agree with this. Feels like we're only just hitting the halfway point of the story but there are only two episodes left. Eight episodes might have been better, especially with Walker's progression from seemingly decent guy in his first episode to suddenly cracking-under-pressure headcase in his second episode.

Saul likes this.
  20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Your characterization is spot on, I think. That's Sam's point -- she's a kid. In her early 20s, her brain is not fully developed and she still acts impulsively toward her ideals and goals only to justify her actions to herself later. (Fair point that many older people act the same way.)

I loved the scene with Sam trying to win her over--that was his most Captain America moment yet and, I think, was meant to be written that way.

I agree with your sentiment, but in fairness to the writers--Battlestar was included not because he is black but because we were all expecting him to live and to potentially challenge Walker. In fact, that happened in this episode. I would suggest that it was more complex than just playing into a trope.