The Expanse might return - on Apple TV+!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Asbo Zaprudder, Jan 1, 2023.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Has it been 30 years already? :)

2. thribs

They can cure cancer. That's pretty advanced. :)

3. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not cure, preventative meds that keep tumors from forming that you ALWAYS have to take.

4. thribs

That's still pretty impressive.

Skipper likes this.
  5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... Moderator

Not gonna get my hopes up just yet, but The Expanse would make a perfect pairing with For All Mankind, and could even serve as a sort of spiritual future for that series given the advances in space travel that have already occurred and the exploration of the Moon, Mars, and eventually beyond on that series.

If they do bring it back (long shot), I hope they incorporate the thirty year time jump and just give the actors that come back a tinge of gray without too much aging makeup that inconveniences the actors and almost always looks terrible, and aren't really necessary given the anti-aging drugs.

Hell, they can even bring back and recast Alex if they want to. Just pull a Litverse Trip Tucker and say his "death" was a fake recording so that he could go on an undercover pilot mission for Mars. But only if they keep Bobbi aboard the ship too. She's better when she's with the Rocci crew rather than separated.

6. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh Definitely. I'd take that any and every day of the week instead of the surgery and chemo

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

They can keep it at bay if caught soon enough. Also regrow limbs and perhaps other body parts other than the brain. That medial tech in the real world might outstrip that shown in The Expanse is quite credible if the super rich are afraid of death, disease and disability. From various descriptions in the books, I got the impression that James S A Corey's (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck's) knowledge of medical matters is a sketchy as his (their) knowledge of the practicalities of rocket science. I mean it's better than many writers', but I suspect it purposefully falls short for the needs of telling the story.

It's still chemo. Jim Holden has a pump implanted that delivers a regular dose. We should be up to or beyond individually tailored, genetically-modified viruses/mRNA by the time shown in the show. We should also have advanced forms of CRISPR-like biotech that are better targeted and that can perform error correction.

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Admiral

I don't remember the exact phrasing (I knew I should've made a note), but in the last month or so, Ty Frank made a comment about the "end" of the show on his "Ty and That Guy" podcast that seemed to me like the crew wasn't even bothering to pretend the show was actually over and this isn't just a blip. I think it was something about the Laconia vignettes in the last season, and the way he said it seemed to indicate it was a foregone conclusion there was going to be more show building on them.

I'm not sure if it was Frank, Abraham, or both, but in interviews, there's always been a disinclination towards spin-offs and other work set in the Expanse universe, like they see the whole thing as a vehicle for this one epic story. Which is odd because, as you say, the whole thing originated as a open-world game concept. Like, I'm almost a little surprised by the existence of the table-top RPG or upcoming video game. Like, the game is a spin-off of the show, so that makes some sense as being out of their control, but the RPG is explicitly based on the books. Given all that, it could be they're exaggerating or lying about how much they don't want spin-offs, to preserve surprises or just to keep people from hassling them when they have nothing to announce.

9. 1001001

1001001 Workin' Them Angels Moderator

The Expanse left off in a perfect place to start a new series, with Drummer in charge of the ring, and all those planets to explore. I would love to see it continue, but like you say, I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, For All Mankind is brilliant. Love that show.

10. David cgc

Commander Troi likes this.
  11. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Commander Red Shirt

Did I get this right: it's a sequel to the TV Show / Books 1-6 and a prequel to the Books 7-9?

12. David cgc

It's hard to tell. The art is clearly of the television characters, but the article describes it as being both a sequel to the TV show and an interquel to the novels, as does this official-seeming listing. I suppose it'd be possible to craft a narrative that's consistent with both versions of the story, though tricky.

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only Expanse comics I read were the origin stories of the Roci crew. From what I remember, those seemed to be set in novel continuity but had the characters drawn in the likenesses of the actors from the show.