The Enterprise-E is so ugly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Beyerstein, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

The E is beautiful. But it looks like a tough warship. Precisely why I don't like it as a TNG ship. It reminds me too much of the Warship Voyager. Enterprise-D forever!

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Ent-E should have come after the refit but before the -Ent-D. Then too--I always thought the shuttles from Moonraker fit the ringshaped station from 2001 better, with the Orion III shuttle, Discovery, and Aries fitting the Drax Moonraker station best in terms of surface details.

3. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The E has nothing on warship Voyager. I have to admit the fanboy in me kinda has a thing for warship Voyager :)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there anywhere we can get a better look at Warship Voyager? We got a two second glimpse in the episode.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Funny you should mention that. Recently I mentioned the mid70s comic adaptation of 2001 in a thread, and seeing what you wrote reminded me that they omitted the ORION completely in the comic, using images of our first space shuttle instead. At the time I found the comic to be downright awful (in some shots the ball on DISCOVERY looks barely larger than the stick portion, and they have Frank Poole's body fall INTO Jupiter!), but I'd like to look at it again now that nearly 40 years have passed.

6. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

UPDATE: the daub of the self-mutilating guy who goes crazy over the C-debate in posts 223 and 224 on thread page 15 has been removed. I write this just in case someone revisits the previous pages and thinks I've gone crazy for mentioning something that isn't there (any longer).

My thanks go to moderator management, sorry for this little thread interruption / update.

Bob

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Don't worry Bob, we've all thought you were crazy long before this :p

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Appealing design.

9. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Sovereign-class is up there with the Constitution-class refit. I love both designs so much I categorize them based on century.

10. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I could almost believe you might be a fan of Oscar Wilde, too ("I can resist anything but temptation"). :lol:

But I suggest we examine the question who is crazy or not in the parallel "Connie-Canon" thread here at the BBS...

Bob

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Couldn't agree more. They are easily my two favorite Enterprises.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

One could say they are from the same design house--as for an explanation.
    from a visual perspective, can't you see the Orion III spaceplane, discovery, and Drax's space station all fitting together?

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I'm actually envisioning the starboard side windows on the ORION (as the US marine vessel) being blown out by laserstrafing from Drax's guys as I write this. I can also imagine an Orion moving majestically THROUGH the debris of the Drax station as it breaks apart, sort of like a space version of the sub departing Liparus in SPY WHO LOVED ME.

When you look at images of the foam study version of DISCOVERY with the dragonfly wings to radiate away the nukestuff, it ABSOLUTELY seems like inspiration for the vanes on Drax's station. Never made that connection before this, thanks!

Maybe we should collage together some stuff from DEEP IMPACT and see how it fits, given that the nextgen shuttle there is outfitted with a nuclear pulse drive like what was envisioned for DISCOVERY originally (and LIFEFORCE's nextgen shuttle has the NERVA-effect engine that Dykstra must have seen in Arthur C. Clarke's MAN & SPACE book for TIME-LIFE, a book I've bought about 5 times since childhood, awesome conceptual art and photos of the egg spacesuit.)

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe toss the INX Enterprise into your collage for good measure, too.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Space 1999 and 2001 visually look like they are from the same universe.

The 1970's just had a look all its own.

16. JJTrek4ever!

JJTrek4ever! Lieutenant Junior Grade

I absolutely adore Lifeforce, but the Churchill is an atrocity of a manned NERVA spacecraft design considering that the rocket nozzle is attached at an angle which would make the floor feel even steeper than San Francisco's Filbert Street to say nothing of those solar panels (why have them when you can already generate electricity from the engine's fission reactor via RTG or recirculating fluid turbogenerator?) which could not remain rigid under thrust or fit in the cargo bay as depicted. Oh yeah, and where do they store the propellant for the mission? You'd need a gas tank the size of, oh, ACC's Rama to keep a constant thrust to match orbits with Halley's Comet, decelerate for rendezvous, and then return to Earth without some form of in situ refueling.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Wasn't 2001 made in the 60's?

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Man, that REALLY reminds me of SOLAR CRISIS (obscure reference, I know.)

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, late 1960s, designed in the latter half. 2001 and Space: 1999 were released less than a decade apart. The look of Space: 1999 was heavily influenced by 2001.

20. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The angle of those nozzles always makes me think of the supplemental boosters on the Eagles in 2nd season opener of SPACE:1999 ... all I remember thinking with that was 'why have the engines firing down when they are trying to escape going up?' That was simpleminded of me, but hell I was 15.

I've never seen LIFEFORCE all the way through, but I've seen the first 15 minutes at least 20 times, and the end reel nearly as often.