Spoilers The Doctor Falls (Grade & Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by TommyR01D, Jun 30, 2017.

?

What is your view on the finale?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2017.
  1. This is the perfect ending!

31 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Now that was really very nicely done.

46 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. No biggie.

9 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. A really rubbish one.

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Like sewage, smart phones and Donald Trump!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but... he probably forgot about her once he reached his TARDIS. After all, the timelines had been rectified.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Who says he waited 'til he got to his TARDIS to regenerate?

3. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Well he might not, but risking regeneration at the bottom of the ship, surrounded by now highly-advanced model Cybermen is probably not a good option if he could hold off long enough to lock himself in a TARDIS and do it safely.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Or in a nice solo elevator ride. ;)

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Missy tells him that she was very precise and that he should/will have time to get to his TARDIS and maybe to have a cuppa.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe a meta-crisis Master?

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    And I'm still not sure how "Day of the Moon" is supposed to explain any of that.

Hear hear! It's especially disappointing because it felt like they took a while to really gel as a team, particularly with Nardole being effectively written out of "Smile," "Thin Ice," & "Knock Knock" and the Monks trilogy being a giant rock in the middle of the season.

Agreed. There was so much going on in "World Enough and Time" that we didn't get nearly enough of Missy-as-sarcastic-good-guy. There should have been a whole episode dedicated just to that, maybe done as a Doctor-lite episode. (Although it seems that Moffat doesn't believe in Doctor-lite episodes. "Blink" notwithstanding.)

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They haven't really been necessary since Moffat hasn't been "double-banking" or whatever the term is because of a Christmas special. Okay he, had to seasons 6 and 7, and we had the Doctor-lite The Girl Who Waited and The Crimson Horror in those years. Season 5 didn't have a Christmas special produced with it, while seasons 8-10 were reduced to twelve episodes. Although, Flatline in season 8 is arguably Doctor-lite.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah, but even the most Doctor-lite episodes of the Moffat era have mostly been writing an episode around putting the Doctor into it judiciously and scheduling it so that he can be in it as much as possible with as little filming as possible. He didn't do any episodes that were just flat-out about the Doctor not being there like "Love & Monsters," "Blink," & "Turn Left."

More often with Moffat, we got companion-lite episodes like "The Lodger," "Closing Time," "The Woman Who Lived," & "Heaven Sent." (Not to mention the Nardole-lite trilogy of "Smile," "Thin Ice," & "Knock Knock.")

10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I am absolutely, positively enjoying all of the angst and tears on the official Facebook page for DW.

It's entertaining in a really morbid way.

Do some people realize that Tmelords are not even human. What we see from the outside isn't even what they actually look like. I'm pretty damn sure it's some kind of perception filter. In the episode "City Of Death" where an artist is watching the Doctor and Romana and he's drawing her but instead of her face he sees a clock, so clearly something is going on here with how people perceive Timelords, or at least some people.

Captaindemotion and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. The Wormhole

That particular example was meant to be a plot point for City of Death to prove something was up.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Oh.... OK I always took it to mean something for the artist in the way they had perceived Romana.

Has it ever been expressly said that Timelords are humanoid?

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I could do without it. I'd much prefer that this was not a big deal. All their reactions show is that we're not "there" yet. Not at all.

14. The Wormhole

Planet of the Dead:
    The Beast Below:

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  15. Gingerbread Demon

OH OK... Point taken.

I was always under the impression that we see them as human because that's what they would like for us to be comfortable with them. That's why I mentioned that scene in City Of Death..

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, something suddenly bugged me.....

The first Doctor, Hartnell. He was the first incarnation, right? The original? So..... There was a throw-away line in this episode where The Doctor says something about having been a woman before. But, if Hartnell was the first, and we've seen all incarnations in between (including the War Doctor), am I missing something here? Was that thrown in as a simple little gag, or perhaps a little tease about Whittaker already? Are we now supposed to asume that that were perhaps even more regenerations we haven't heard of yet, like the War Doctor?

Or have I simply completely misheard that line?

17. Emperor-Tiberius

That was obviously a joke. We're not gonna follow the Hinchcliffe doctrine here, are we?

18. Gingerbread Demon

And for those of us who don't know what that is. What is this "Hinchcliffe doctrine?"

19. Emperor-Tiberius

In The Brain of Morbius, the Doctor and Morbius (yet another renegade Time Lord that left Gallifrey eons ago) have a "mind battle" and their past incarnations are shown off. When the first three Doctors are shown backwards, there are other incarnations shown and, by Hinchcliffe and Holmes' intent, they were meant to be the incarnations before the First Doctor. But that muted/ignored/retconned away relatively fast, as historically the First Doctor is the First Doctor, as per The Three Doctors. So, now, these incarnations are either a)potential future incarnations of the Doctor, or b)past incarnations of Morbius. The latter of which makes most sense to me, really.

20. Gingerbread Demon

Ah.... OK I can see why that makes things murkky.

First Doctor can mean anything, What we saw in the very first episode might just mean there were adventures before that we never saw..