The distinction between computers, machines, synths, holograms and sentient A.I.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Rahul, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since Khan and his ilk were genetically engineered, the risk is just too great that anyone else who undergoes a similar process will turn out like them. The Federation can't afford to take that chance.

Sure, Julian Bashir turned out okay, but he was lucky.

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe someone ask Chabon (in a non-combative way, if you actually want an answer) in his next, and maybe last, Instagram Q&A after the premier of the season finale. It’s kind of unprecedented to have direct access to TPTB this way, and he actually answers a lot of legitimate questions that aren’t rude or leading in any way. It might be an opportunity to have the writers explore some of our questions here more explicitly next season.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Khan Not

4. Lt.Smokey

Lt.Smokey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great point about the Tech. I mean, we watch 90's Trek and they are doing their reports and logs on ipads.

5. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I seem to remember someone involved in Voyager commenting on how dated the over sized lap tops seem. We of course know that there is no way we are getting the 23rd/24th centuries right. I am sure we are getting it wrong. The margin of error undoubtedly gets bigger the farther we project into the future. Ive looked at works 100 -150 years ago imagining our era. Fascinating to see how they thought we'd be living.

But all you can do is the best you can do. And for science fiction, even of the softer kinds, staying up on the frontiers of science and thinking forward about what might be possible is what we are limited to. But we should do that. We should stay up with it. Hard for me to square the advances in neural interface, human machine interface generally, bionics, cybernetics, robotics, AI, nanotechnology, 3D printing, bio-printing, etc and what we are seeing with Trek. There is a significant and growing disconnect.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I agree that it will almost certainly prove much easier to create AI that can pass the Turing test than it will to build FTL spacecraft, and while I also agree that the goal of developing intelligent AI could well be accomplished in this century, the outlook for warp drive isn't quite as bleak as being "the opposite" of achievable.

In the case of FTL, there is a potentially hard barrier, in that it is either physically impossible or it isn't, and if it is physically impossible then nothing would be able to change that. On the other hand, no corresponding potential barrier is known to exist in the case of intelligent behavior. Nevertheless, there was a surprising theoretical breakthrough that occurred late last century by Alcubierre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive. Although sometimes it is the other way around, theoretical breakthroughs are often necessary for technological breakthroughs. This theoretical breakthrough gives us a road to follow, at least for now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

7. Tarek71

I meant that more as saying: 1 of these will happen in the 2060s and the other will happen in the 24th century. Data level AI and Warp Speed. If you knew that, which would you guess for each? Where things stand now, Id say Data in 2060s, warp 2300s. By opposite, I mean the dates for the two. Switch them around. That that is alot more likely than the reverse, which is what is shown in trek.

When some kind of FTL might really be invented? I would say some time between mid 21 st Century and never. We'll see.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one knows when anything will be invented, until it is. Rock solid proofs of impossibility are few and far between.

9. Tarek71

I was saying that IF one invention was this century and IF another invention was in the 24th century, and the two inventions in question were high AI and Warp, the reverse of what Trek has established would be alot more likely. I am making no predictions about 24th century inventions, let alone FTL propulsion which may or may not ever be possible. Just a comment about trek tech as established.

10. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest - I absolutely love the producers just going nuts once in a while!

A character having multiple hologram copies of himself running around, each with a different accent? Okay. A Vulcan Admiral in present-day sunglasses? Why not. Everybody playing dandy dress-up at Freecloud? Sure. A space robot hippie colony with orchid-weapons? Go for it!

Honestly - that's much more refreshing than always playing it safe. Yes, sometimes it doesn't work - I absolutely hate how far they went with the eye-gouging gore that one time for example. But overall, I would put that willingness to go with down as a massive positive for this series.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  11. Tarek71

Well, that's why I say I generally like when writers swing for the fences. Sometimes you miss big, but I dont mind that as much as falling short for a lack of imagination or of trying. Writing is hard. I made sure that my one interaction with Braga was to say that no one bats a thousand. He had mentioned the Salamanders. He went for something big and different, and it just didnt work out the way he wanted. Let's cut slack. You try it. It's hard.

Giant Android Orchids. Well...they went for it. I think it didnt work, but again. I would rather they fail swinging big.

SolarisOne and Arpy like this.
  12. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is one of those personal taste things, I guess, 'cause that was one of my favorite parts of the episode.

Grendelsbayne and Tuskin38 like this.
  13. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's presume that her 1/2 Vulcan | 1/2 Romulan ancestral background is true. She might've been born with a genetic defect where she didn't have inner eyelids and this was a rare defect that can be easily solved with Sunglasses.

Most people wouldn't bat an eye and tell her to wear Sunglasses like the humans.

We have people here on Earth that are born without certain organs or other body parts.

I had a childhood friend who was born without his right toe nail. It was just skin where the toe nail should've been.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. Lt.Smokey

Lt.Smokey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It is all a function of Trek being conceived during the space race. No one knew we would reach the moon and then be content to orbit for 40 years while the tech investments went elsewhere. I like the imagined future better.

15. Tarek71

Yes. That is where the opposite is true vs AI/Robots. We are progressing far more slowly than in the Trek timeline. The Charybdis is supposed to launch in 17 years on an interstellar mission. We prob wont have even a crewed mission to Mars by then. No DY's, no Jupiter and Saturn missions with nuclear powered interplanetary ships. From the 50's to as late as the 80s there was amazing optimism about our space programs. I remember being that optimistic in the 70's and early 80s. 2020? We will be walking on the moons of Saturn! Nope.

Lt.Smokey likes this.
  16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

The rate of spaceflight progress extrapolated from the 1960's was not maintained. Might have had lunar and Martian bases, but Monday series.

17. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I were you, I would not place a bet based on that hypothesis. Since governments don't seem to be interested in doing it, private industry has stepped up.

18. Tarek71

I am not placing any bets either way. We'll see what happens.