The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it more before they got to Defiance than after. It's funny I had stumbled onto Jackson on Youtube a couple of days earlier (though not my first time hearing it).

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I like westerns, I like sci-fi. I liked the first episode, although I wasn't blown away. Some of the dialogue was pretty bland and I thought some of the acting was sub-par. However, most of it was entertaining. I like the two main characters, Julie Benz was pretty good and I think the deputy has potential. The character which made the best impression on me was the Doctor. The way she poked Amanda's head to get to rest cracked me up.

I also liked the ominous scene at the end too as it gave the episode a little more edge.

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Really liked the pilot, had to try and introduce many of the different characters, some of the different underlying plot points and giving us some action. I think it succeeded in all facets of this. Good veteran cast, although yes, they had your stereotypical sci-fi archetypes with the amount of stuff they had to cram it I did not mind much.

It was Visually very nice, that Volge army was pretty cool and just the look and feel of the world was great. Definitely got the 'Space Western' vibe.

Great thing is that network tv shows are starting to end, so my calendar opens up a little bit.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm surprised you'd call that out. There were some awesome visuals -- the Arks, the landscapes -- but the Volge army was the fakiest-looking thing in the whole pilot, like a video-game cut scene (though maybe that was the intent, since this is a "transmedia" crossover with an MMORPG).

5. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Well the world visually was nice, and I liked the Army. It did look like a video game army however.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say that was the "intent". Game developers would love to have photorealistic games; the tech simply isn't there yet. Since Defiance isn't a deliberately stylized game (along the lines of The Wind Waker or Journey), they'd probably it rather looked as realistic as the live action does. :)

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

I didn't love it, I'll give it a couple of shows, but it did seem like a mishmash of Terra Nova, Farscape, Star Wars and Firefly. The Characters aren't all that interesting and I really hate Julie Benz, finally got rid of her on Dexter, not sure I want to follow her to Defiance

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not me so much. Does every sci-fi show since The X-Files need a conspiracy storyline?

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Terra Nova, isn't the Roller a prop Defiance has borrowed from them?
    It bears a striking resemblence.

10. Christopher

^No, the vehicles in Defiance are specially customized from autos provided by Dodge as part of a cross-promotion. The Terra Nova vehicles were modified '80s Range Rovers and '90s Toyota Land Cruisers. Not to mention that Terra Nova was shot in Australia while Defiance is shot in Toronto, or that the TN vehicles were auctioned off to private owners last year.

11. The Wormhole

There's only so many ways you can do futuristic utilitarian land rover anyway.

12. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how long it'll be till we see gals cosplaying as Irisa at various conventions around North America, like ComicCon.

13. Christopher

In my experience, it doesn't take cosplayers long at all to adopt a new character. At last October's New York Comic-Con, I saw several Korras and an amazingly good recreation of an Engineer from Prometheus. (At least, I think it was a good recreation; I haven't seen the film, but the cosplayer had a really elaborate makeup job.)

It would be easier for cosplayers to do Castithans, I'd think, since that's just makeup, wig, and contact lenses. The prosthetics for an Irathient look would be a bit more involved.

14. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was trying to think who Irisa reminded me of and concluded it's Leeloo/Milla Jovovich's character in The Fifth Element but Irisa wears more than bandaids

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was surprised how different the actress looked without the makeup.

16. Christopher

I saw her in MirrorMask a few months ago, so I already knew (though she was still in her late teens then, I think). I was afraid the makeup and the American accent would detract from the qualities that make her so compelling to watch and listen to, but they don't, at least not significantly.

17. The Wormhole

David Tennant claimed he saw someone dressed as the Eleventh Doctor at 2009's San Diego Comic Con, even though the first image of Matt Smith in costume was only revealed earlier that week.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Seeing how the 11th Doctor's Outfit isn't that far removed from the 2nd Doctor's, it was probably just a young guy dressed up as the 2nd and it looked like 11.

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Damn that was bad.. i zoned out halfway through the pilot which is never a good sign for any show.

Bad CGI, bad actors, chliché storyline and the now ever so popular ramshackle look of a postapocalyptic world. I don't see this going any further than that timetravel show featuring a human colony in Earths prehistoric past that featured Dinosaurs and another lawman (forgot even the name of the show).

Anyway.. i'm out and will still wait for a decent SF show.

20. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terra Nova