The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look up.

I added some hard data to support my position.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two thirds above ground vs. buried?

"thrust upward"....:wtf:

3. Guy Gardener

Is that Mountain range they held indicative of walking distance from Saint Louis?

When they say geological upheval, it sounds like they're talking about something natural that happened, like a super quake, which could have been the Arcs frakking with tidal forces or maybe the teraformers wanted to make mountains for some ungodly reason because one of the species liked mountains a lot...

Maybe this only seems like bad fake science becuase we're in the dark about some key elements?

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

5. Guy Gardener

All those buildings beside the arch are covered up completely as the Arch which was launched at least a hundred feet in the air and then caught by what ever landslide like a left out field fly... As well as the ocean? Is that the ocean or a lake?

Oh...

"Riverfront".

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish it was set in the UK and had a Wyndham vibe. Rather than an after school special vibe. Yes I know there was a brothel, I'm just finding it too american heartland. The mayor is totally dull.

Irisa looks so much like a gaming character it distracted me.

Looking forward to the next episode, quite happy there's a conspiracy deal. I hope it gets kind of trashy and interesting.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I see everybody talking about the terraforming as if it were an intentional thing; it wasn't. It was the accidental result of sabotage - suspected by both sides of being caused by the other - and was the event - Arkfall - that finally brought the Pale Wars to an end.

8. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There was a terraforming plan but it failed and the technology was released uncontrollably

The underground city will be featured in next Monday's episode

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like underground cities :techman:

At least this isn't NYC and there won't be any inevitable bits of Lady Liberty sticking out of the rubble.

10. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps I was not attentive enough as a watcher :vulcan:. Or I could say they failed in their burden to show me in the presented story :rommie:

They picked St Louis and San Francisco because of iconic land marks of the respective cities. But then I was looking at a mountain range and my first thought was where is the river, anything that did that would have devastated everything. I guess that was another thing I missed, there was a body of water outside of Defiance?

11. Guy Gardener

The geological upheaval of 2030 could have tucked that river 300 meters down under.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

According to the historical background on the main site, the Votans expected Earth to be devoid of intelligent life, so they thought they'd be terraforming a world that was free for the taking. Once they found out there were already inhabitants, they put their terraforming plans on hold as they negotiated with Earth's governments for settlement rights, and then they only planned to terraform the regions of the planet that they'd been granted as enclaves (though there was certainly controversy about it on both sides). The Pale Wars intervened and no deliberate terraforming efforts were ever made. But in 2030, some unknown event caused the Arks to explode and the Terra-spires to be released, causing an out-of-control global terraforming event that killed huge numbers of both humans and Votans.

It seems like there's some unknown player that's an enemy of both the humans and the Votan immigrants -- that's responsible both for smuggling the Volge aboard the Ark fleet and for destroying the Arks.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^All the races and ethnicities of America need to unite against the true enemy, who is wholly and irredeemably evil, yet gifted with literally fantastic powers of subversion so that, despite being minuscule in numbers, they pose an existential threat. We all know how existential threats justify the remorseless exercise of power untrammeled by the morality reserved for our kind.

This doesn't make Defiance a feel-good story for everyone.

14. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    However, we know that
    the Volge army sent to Defiance were directed to do so by the ex-mayor. Those responsible for the incident may be similarly conspirators within human and/or Votan society.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I am curious if the spoiler is going to tie into the destruction of the Arcs.

16. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except that the Volge were never suppose to be on the ARKs to begin with, so the main power player isn't human - unless they go in a very strange Star gate direction.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Or unless the people who smuggled the Volge onto the Arks 5000 years ago are a different group of bad guys from the ones who are conspiring against Defiance in the present. Not impossible, but it seems unlikely that the series would have two entirely unrelated conspiracies unfolding.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt that the same people who are working against Defiant put the Volge on the Arcs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two groups are working together.

19. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I know from the pilot is I wouldn't doubt there are in fact three bad teams.

I think the show has too much drama. There is the underground criminal element with the vampire who wants to kill the fat guy for some reason. Then you have the human conspiracy from the ex-mayor, and the organization that placed the Volge on the ARK to begin with.

The first one is probably our A story, our B story is the human conspiracy, and our meta story is the third one.

Edit: I'm not spending $60.00 on an MMO ever again specially one with transactions, so.... has anyone played the game. I'm curious how it is and how 'typical' it is more an MMO.

20. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Were the Volge smuggled? Or, did they make it aboard a ship themselves. I guess, I missed the part when it was determined, since everyone says the former