The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

From what I've read there seems to be almost universal praise for TDKR. From that I guardedly expect the film to be good if not excellent. A big takeaway from most is the sense that this film is on.a different level than the Marvel based movies, the feeling Nolan has aimed for something more than summer blockbuster escapism while still delivering it.

If so then Bravo!

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I need to enforce my own personal embargo on reviews. I started reading one linked from Twitter this morning and instead of reviewing the themes or ideas of the movie, the author began recounting the plot, scene by scene. I closed it. I want to let the movie unfold on the screen rather than know everything in advance.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm avoiding reviews. In four days I'll know everything.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have read some of the reviews and that is the consensus. While the Avengers is good mindless fun, TDKR is on an entire different level. I think Nolan is raising the bar once again for superhero movies. You can have great action with a deep and engaging story.

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great as the Nolan films may be in many ways, I wouldn't call the action in them great. It was just ok.
    Maybe TDKR will be better in that department.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The theater near me is showing all three films in a row on Thursday, "Begins" at 6, "Dark Knight" at 9 and then "Rises" at midnight, for the low-low price of $21. With beer. God I love this theater.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Sounds like one of those upscale theatres for adults. No kids allowed.

The trilogy itself is getting a wide release. The idea of watching all three movies back to back sounds good, but I don't think I could manage it. I'd probably be too spent by the time Rises starts.

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, just the local independent showhouse. I probably will be pretty slagged after all three, but... it'll be worth it.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah they are on a different level, and these have been some great movies.... but I still don't know that I would call them my "ideal" kind of superhero movies.

I'll always prefer the more fun and fantastical ones like Avengers, Batman, and Spider-Man myself.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I agree. I really enjoy superhero films like Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy but my preference is for superhero movies like The Avengers. But then the second movie I ever saw in theaters was Superman: The Movie. Hey, I formed my preferences young. :D

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be seeing it on Thursday July 19th about 2:30pm as part of one of the last "sneak" event showings.
    Hope we still get the MOS trailer.

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am moving in a week. So I have the next week off. Part of me wants to see the midnight showing but I could see it anytime on Friday. I worry it's too long to see it that late.

14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

One negative review on Rotten Tomatoes (and no, it's not Armond White... yet) and the fanboys have totally piled on the poor critic.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

16. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Sounds more like disappointed by than flat out hated.

17. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If a plot twist or finale is bungled, being forbidden to write about it means being forbidden to write an effective review.
    The effort to supposedly discuss movies without details very frequently makes reviews worthless, hardly more than a verbose way of saying year or nay.

So you believe that the bosses are easily satisfied with the service they get? And don't think they deserve even better, done exactly the way they want?

:rofl:

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Sooooo.... Isn't it time for the review thread and to close the anticipatory thread?

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

JacksonArcher already started the review thread last week. This should have been closed...but I guess it's still opened since none of us has seen the film yet and probably won't until Thursday.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If the complaints in this thread are any indication, reviewers haven't been muzzled from spoiling plot twists or describing important details when it comes to The Dark Knight Rises. Reviewers can, and do, write whatever they want. If they don't regularly describe the conclusions of movies in detail it's unlikely it has anything to do with studio enforced agreements -- rather, it has to do with the reality that most people who read reviews do so in order to decide whether or not to see a movie, not to spoil the ending of that movie.

No need to patronize. You said the "reviewing system is amazingly corrupted already." The fact that a major studio invented a film critic suggests that the major studios don't have the control over film critics that your description implies; the fact that studios regularly forgo press screenings for movies they think are bad further supports this.

A further detail -- although I'm sure it differs for tentpoles, I've been to about a dozen press screenings this year for independent and mid-range films and never been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement. I have been asked, verbally, to hold any reviews until a certain date at a few screenings.