The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yup, that's the upcoming Bank Robber Joker from Hot Toys. It looks amazing but the price tag is rather prohibitive. I'm still trying to get my hands on the first version they made (with the iconic outfit) , but prices are skyrocketing. I'm sure I'll end up getting both versions in the end simply because of the amazing headsculpt on the Bank Robber version.

2. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quick question...

Michael Caine was quoted as saying that Heath Ledger's Joker is so good, that when he started a scene, Caine forgot his lines.

In what scene did Alfred meet the Joker? Or did Caine forget that he had no lines in that particular scene? Or have I blacked something out?

3. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure whether they actually had lines together, but Alfred is clearly in the scene where
    The Joker and his goons crash Bruce's party for Harvey Dent. ALfred may even have opened the door for them.[/
    By the way, check this out:
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7629
    Only another $81 million to go before it hits a Billion Dollars!

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Caine said in an interview that he hadn't met Ledger prior to those scenes and they 'gave him a fright' when he first met them. They may have had lines together because he said that he rehearsed lines with him between takes.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aaron Eckhart interview on CHUD:

"I asked Chris if there was a chance of coming back. 'No way,' he said. 'He's toast.'"

And again on Superhero Hype:

"No, I'm not coming back. I think unfortunately, Heath [Ledger] was supposed to go on and that didn't work out. I'm nobody. I'm a cog. I have no say over this sort of stuff. I'm sure that there's so many other characters that they could whip together. I heard Angelina Jolie was going to be Catwoman or something like that. I thought that was a great idea. I'd like to be in that one."

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm glad. So much fruitless debate over whether or not Dent was dead. Now it is confirmed.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I don't suppose it would be in good form to throw in a, "Well, DUH!" ;)

8. N-121973

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A comic book movie has a long, uphill battle being nominated for the Academy Awards. And, regardless, I don't think The Dark Knight should be nominated, perhaps outside of Ledger's performance. It was good, but it was not great. And I fully expect the sea of 'Oscar bait' movies to have more than a few more worthy entries.

Not that the Oscars have ever been about what is worthy. It's politics, and the politics of business. So this might work.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

11. N-121973

I'm kind of curious as to whether or not this will be a general or wide release (the article seems to emphasize IMAX cinemas) and what, if any impact this will have on the DVD release date. By the way I'm putting my money on 8th December for that.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Oscars also seem to like to give nominations to movies no one's ever heard of. Usually, box office success hurts movies because they want to go the look-at-how-knowledgeable-and-cultured-about-movies-I-am-with-my-selections route. Though Titanic was an obvious exception, and I'm still not sure why A Few Good Men and Ghost were nominated.

If they snub an artist for truly outstanding work, sometimes they award him or her the Oscar for lesser material.

13. JacksonArcher

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm...I wonder how well it will do for a re-release. I know movies are re-released still do decent business, but considering the DVD is being released the previous month...would today's general movie goer or the home theatre enthusiast (which is becoming bigger and bigger) be as willing go see it on the Big Screen?

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. I think that the two weeks prior to the DVD release would have been a better choice.

16. JacksonArcher

I think a big indicator will be if they can re-release it in IMAX, which is what they're currently trying to do. I am not sure if I would see the film again in a conventional theater, but I would absolutely love to see the film again in IMAX, since I even know friends who weren't able to see it would like to see it in that format.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I'm not too sure if they'll be able to. Since IMAX is such a limited format I know that they have to schedule those films extremely well in advance (I'm talking about 9 - 12 months in advance).