The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

No, not really. Maroni taunts him for letting people die while Batman has still not turned himself in, Batman says Joker must have friends (to which Maroni replies, "Have you met the guy?"). The only barely useful thing Maroni mentions is that the Joker came to the mob, not the other way around.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew I could count on the BBS! Thanks.

3. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Didnt it work on the insane guy though?

4. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She spent at least $160 on Titanic tickets? :eek:

Well it looks like comic fanboys have got nothing on teeny boppers.

5. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im not sure! Maybe I wanted to see something in the lines of between Burtons and Schumachers films, I think Begins did this with that monorail for an example. This Gotham city just seemed like any US city.
    Oh and I missed the Wayne manor and would have liked to have seen the Batcave.
    This film seemed to me just like a crime thriller that happens to just have Batman in it.

6. Gaith

My understanding of the scene was he didn't know any good information to divulge in the first place, and only acted as though he did because of his insanity. Then Batman shows up and tells Dent something useful...

7. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

^^ you are probably right in that he didnt have anything useful, but it did seem like the torture worked in the sense that if the guy had have known something, he would have spilled it.

8. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Why didn't the city have a big reward out for the Joker, anyway?

Fight fire with money.

I think the movie should've ended with Wayne waking up and it all being a dream caused by the Scarecrow's fear toxin.

Then Bobby Ewing emerges from the shower. "Honey, it's over, none of that happened. We're together and I love you. And I'm getting you all wet."

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yahoo Movies article

Batman buried his rivals at the North American box office for a second weekend on Sunday, racing past $300 million in a record 10 days.

The Caped Crusader's blockbuster outing, "The Dark Knight," sold an estimated $75.6 million worth of tickets during the three days beginning Friday, taking its total to $314.2 million, distributor Warner Bros. Pictures said.

A week after it scored a record-breaking $158 million opening, "The Dark Knight" added a new title to its impressive list of superlatives: the best second weekend, surpassing the holiday-boosted $72 million haul of 2004's "Shrek 2."

"The Dark Knight" now ranks as the second-biggest movie of the year, just behind the $315 million haul of "Iron Man," and the 23rd-biggest of all time.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if it'll hit $500 million.

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I think that it may if people keep going to see it like they have been.

12. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Does Gordon know? Spoilers for TDK

He may have seemed that way to you, but he wasn't; witness his behavior in the alley after Rachel is captured, before Batman shows up and stops him.

13. Avilos

Avilos Guest

Right. That was the implication of his nickname while at Internal Affairs. That cops called him "Two Face" before his scarring would suggest the traditional meaning of that phrase. That he was a bit of a phony. Willing to tell people what they want to hear. Even if it contradicts what he tells others. I wish that this had been more explicitly shown though.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Let's not forget that he manipulated people into doing things his way by flipping a coin that could only land on heads. Dent was a good man, but there were some definite chinks in his shining armor.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly. But I can also remember his comment regarding the coin late in the movie. He said that sometimes you have to make your own luck.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't think he used the coin to manipulate people so much as he used it to "get his way."

"You'd leave something like that up to fate?"
    "Not exactly."

17. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The Joker must go on...

You are getting waaayyyy ahead of yourself now. Nolan amongst Spielberg and Scorsese? Are you nuts? These guys gave us one hit after another, all Nolan gave was Dark Knight. Let him give us a few more movies that are the blockbusters of their respective years and then we'll see.

18. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scorsese didn't make that many blockblusters. His highest gross film ever was his recent Best Picture winner The Departed. In terms of quality I think Nolan has already reached Spielburg's level but not Scorsese's. Hey I know I am biased towards to Scorsese as he is my favorite director along with Kubrick and Lynch.

Nolan's notable works so far are Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. My favorite Nolan movie is still Memento but TDK is a fairly close second.

19. Gaith

Er... so Hillary's campaign was a success? After all, if she'd gotten more delegates than Barack, she would have won.

Sorry, but that's an unproven hypothetical. ;)

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Much agreed. Chris Nolan's films have been consistently good. As he continues to do more work, the quality level in his films just get higher and higher.