The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As can I - a film sequel should pattern itself on the original rather than its rival. Still, I certainly express no regret over passing seeing this film if The Dark Knight was 'high-brow and intellectual' in contrast. The Dark Knight was non-moronic and smartly written - a relative rarity, I'll concede, in summer fare (where once upon a day the latest garbage the Wachkowskis were peddling qualified as intelligent) - but I don't think the film is difficult at all to understand for your average moviegoer. Given the box office success the film is recieving, I believe the average moviegoer concurs.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'll concede that Iron Man was a lot of fun, even if I found some of the plot twists to be poorly thought out and the politics insulting. Robert Downey Jr. really, really, really carries the movie. But I must admit he's one of my favorite actors alive--if not my overall favorite. It was typical summer fare--but as far as typical summer fare goes, you aren't going to do much better (The Dark Knight was not typical summer fare in my view).

Speaking of The Dark Knight, I saw it on IMAX yesterday. I picked up on a few things I missed. Two (Batman's hydraulic hand and Batman's cape that slows his and Rachel's fall) have been mentioned an awful lot in this thread. One (the plane in Hong Kong was explained as flying under radar--which isn't the most realistic explanation for how it gets in and out of there undetected, but it is an explanation enough for me) I haven't seen mentioned, so there it is.

Oh, and to echo everyone else, the IMAX was incredible. And, still, even in IMAX, I'm totally disinterested in Watchmen.

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only seen Downey Jr. in that PKD adaption I sometimes mention, and I thought he was very impressive in that - he stole the whole movie. I was worried Iron Man might be like Pirates of the Carribean - one actor preforming so marvelously one almost forgets the film is actually pretty mediocre.

This reminds me. I recorded Zodiac a while back, I really should watch that. I will tomorrow, honestly.

So am I. I understand it's a classic for comic book fans, but I get the impression you really have to be a comic book fan to appreciate what the film is about, or something. Once upon a time I really was a comic book fan - but those comics were about Gauls comically knocking Romans around. Europe, you know. Never read a superhero comic.

4. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Actually, that's the less disturbing pictorial take I've seen on that scene.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Did anyone else think Nurse Joker kind of like Brittany Murphy?

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't know, but Brittany Murphy is who I picture playing Harley Quinn (though I doubt she would have ever been in Nolan's movies, even if Ledger hadn't died). Interesting bit of coincidence, there.

8. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw it. We went to see it like 2 1/2 weeks ago, but the middle-of-the-week afternoon show we showed up for was sold out.

It was excellent, but I think I enjoyed the first one more.

Very dark! I don't much care for dark, yet I loved it.

Harvey Dent/Two face was really well done. Part of me was fearing that they would fuck up that story, but I was very happy in the end. Did he die? Batman survived the fall, but other than the funeral/tribute we saw, his fate was kind of left hanging.... or maybe I am over thinking it.

Shaking cellphone spy camera-thing: Lame. I just thought it was lame, I don't know why.

Batman's voice seemed more... forced than in the last movie, but perhaps I am just mis-remembering... and it ultimately doesn't matter to me, I just noticed it. I actually thought he sounded more like he did in Begins when he was in Aarkham and everyone was seeing him as some kind of devil beast while high on Scarecrow juice. Again, just an observation, not a critique.

I preferred Gyllenhaal to Holmes, but I still didn't really like the character of Rachel Dawes. She was more of a plot device in this movie, which I suppose worked out well.

The Joker was excellent. Creepy!!! Real-creepy, not movie-creepy. I totally bought into him as a lunatic psycho-fuck.

Very happy with this movie. I was about ready for it to end when the Joker was put in jail, but I knew it wasn't going to be that easy, and the rest of the movie cured my long-movie sore-ass affliction.

I was kind of looking forward to seeing the new bat cave, but I guess we'll have to wait for that.

9. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will never understand how TDK gets a PG-13.

By the way, it's incredible! :techman:

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Let's see...

No blood.

No OTT violence.

No strong language.

Yep! Should've been rated R!

I mean... OMG!!! TEH DARK THEMES!!!

11. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Umm, Two Face?

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I've seen worse in all four of the Indiana Jones movies. Hell, I still look away from that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree...by no fault of its own, the film was not a PG-13 film. My reasoning behind that is mostly because of the Two-Face goriness, the intensity of the sheer terror that Joker places on individuals and the town (the violence, seen and implied, is included with this), and the fact that children were directly threatened with guns.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Meh. Temple of Doom was PG-13, and it had guys getting their hearts ripped out of their chests.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Temple Of Doom was "PG" it helped bring about the "PG-13" rating though.

16. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

What you mean the facemelting? That stuff is awesome! Gotta love melting Nazis!

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I mean the face melting. I don't know why, but I can't look at that. I don't mind Julian Glover's body melt in The Last Crusade. Maybe because it was dry? I don't know. :lol:

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, that movie was set to be rated "R", but Spielberg fought and won to bring the rating down to PG.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

No, I think kind of talk happened after the movie came out.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/187529_pg13rating24.html

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure some would say the makeup reminded them of the aliens in "mars attacks"