The Dark Crystal Prequel Series Coming To Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, May 18, 2017.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Looks like Hup will be getting a sort of origin comic this fall, showing what inspired him to become a paladin. :D

Link

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The first issue will be entitled “Knights of the Spoon”. :D

3. Unicron

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Already the best comic ever!

saddestmoon, 137th Gebirg and Unicron like this.
  5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Hup was the best, I'm looking forward to this.

dupersuper and The Nth Doctor like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the collection of the second arc in the Age of Resistance comic, which ran from issues #5 - #8. #1- #4, which were released a a trade titled The Quest back in May, dealt with Ordon and Fara's backstory, and #9, which just came out last week, starts an arc covering All-Maudra Mayrin's backstory.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kai "the spy" and 137th Gebirg like this.
  8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Works for me. I've felt for a long time that many of the best, smartest, most worthwhile shows on TV are children's programs, from Batman: The Animated Series to Avatar/Korra to She-Ra. Heck, Doctor Who is essentially a children's program, and Star Wars has always been a franchise aimed at kids and families.

"Children's" doesn't mean unintelligent or low-quality. It just means it doesn't have profanity, sex, drugs, or graphic violence. A show doesn't need those things to be brilliant and sophisticated.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I actually agree with you there, it's just that a lot of other people don't won't take something seriously once they see it's been categorized as a 'children's program".

10. Christopher

If I cared about what other people took seriously, I wouldn't be an SF writer.

11. The Nth Doctor

Glad to see it got an Emmy nomination! Here's hoping it wins.

12. Unicron

I just noticed that World of the Dark Crystal was reprinted at the turn of the year, and is presently at a very good price on Amazon. I don't know that anything changed between editions, but I have a copy myself and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series. It fills in a ton of details that the movie couldn't cover about the world of Thra, and the art is beautiful.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They've been releasing a fairly steady stream of new books tying into both the show and the movie.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. Unicron

I'm glad to see that measure of love, personally. :D

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

137th Gebirg likes this.
  16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I was afraid that might be the case. There are a large number of people sitting virtually on top of each other, running the puppets. Our current world in which we live is not conducive to that kind of performance. It would be sad if it all ended because of that. I suspect the best we can hope for right now is a long-term hiatus.

17. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I was afraid of the same. Weight that with the high cost of the production and their tendency to cancel shows, I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix doesn't order a second season. :(

18. Christopher

Sigh. People always accuse specific networks of this, but every network cancels plenty of shows, because that's how the industry works. Shows are competing for a finite audience and it's impossible for all of them to succeed. If a show doesn't find an audience, a network can't afford to keep making it, and therefore has to cancel it. It's basic economics. Shows are very expensive undertakings and only the most profitable ones are able to survive. Cancellation is always the more probable outcome for any show on any network. It's just that the minority of long-running shows loom larger in our awareness than the majority of flashes in the pan, so we mistakenly see cancellation as the exception rather than the norm.

Anwar and Kai "the spy" like this.
  19. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Netflix don't even hide their decision making process. It's more profitable for them to launch something new then to make more episodes of something older. (With certain exceptions like 'Lucifer'.)

If I was making a show for them I wouldn't plan on more than three seasons and wouldn't end a season on a cliffhanger.

777 likes this.
  20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I've been arguing against Netflix's reputation in that regard for a while now. Adding to your very good points, I'd also like to again state that Netflix hasn't been making/streaming original content for very long, less than a decade, and it still managed a fair number of shows that went beyond the ominous "three seasons", even if you don't count children's programming which some people do for whatever reason.

And that's also true for any other network. Sure, used to be that shows build an audience, but truth is, for most shows, the longer they run, the more viewers abandon it, and the serialized format of today's shows keeps new viewers away.

That said, I of course do hope this show will be renewed.