Spoilers The Controversial Star Wars Opinion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by fireproof78, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on just when the Civil War was and what year Obi-wan was protecting Satine. It was some years before the events of The Phantom Menace. Remember, this is the universe with teenage planetary leaders.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not impossible I suppose, but I still just don't buy it.

Just think about it for a moment: if one is a person like Satine and are intending to hide one's illegitimate offspring in a society built around clans and noble houses, the smart thing to do is have some VERY loyal ally from a vassal house or clan adopt them as a ward with the official story being "war orphan". That way they can be kept close without raising suspicions of heritage, and keep them relatively safe from being a causality in dynastic disputes.
    What one doesn't do is 1) just pretend they're a nephew, 2) keep them around the palace and the academy where just anyone can get to him, and 3) have him use the family name, just in case it couldn't be any more obvious. Bloodlines in noble houses are typically watched fairly closely, so a previously unknown issue of House Kryze suddenly popping out of thin air isn't going to fool anyone. Least of all one's sister who's currently working with one's enemies to depose one from the throne.

Also, as previously stated: the last we saw of Korkie he was knocked out and being dragged away, presumably to prison along with her. If he were Obi-Wan's son you'd think given the situation Satine would at least mention it to him during their escape, and you know, break him out too? Satine did not express the concern for his safety one would expect from a mother. It was more like she was just his aunt or something. ;)

3. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Good, that explains why Bo-Katan thinks she's the last of her line and doesn't know about the real love child between Satine and Obi-Wan.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That makes no sense at all. She and Korkie both broke Satine out of prison together. She obviously knows he exists. Whether he's Satine's son or her nephew; either way he's a Kryze, and thus part of Bo Katan's line.

There are so many obvious holes in this theory it's a wonder it gets so much traction. I mean I get the appeal of the *idea* of Obi-Wan and Satine having a secret child (I was even conceptually on board with the notion of Rey being a Kenobi prior to TLJ's release.) but the logistics of Korkie secretly being their offspring just don't fit the facts. Yet, people will insist that the square peg will fit in the round hole if only they whack it often enough.
    Honestly you'd get better traction just going with the idea that there could be such a child out there somewhere, without trying to forcibly assign the role to any existing character.

Just looking at it from a storytelling POV: the idea of a chaste romance seems like a much better suit for Obi-Wan as a character and a much more thematically appropriate mirror for Anakin & Padme's equally doomed romance. Obi-Wan always makes the selfless choice, never the selfish one. That's at the very core of his character. Even the Mortis arc bears this out quite blatantly.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I just really can't see Obi-Wan breaking the Jedi Order's rules like that. His relationship with Satine might have brought him pretty close to the line, but I can't see him having gone that far over it with her.
    I'm usually very easy to please, hell I consider The Matrix and Pirates of the Carribean sequels some of my favorite movies, but even I couldn't stand that damn episode with the little alien and droids going through the desert. I have to compliment the team behind TCW for being willing to experiment, but that was just a disaster.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

At least the planet looked interesting! Usually Star Wars planets just look like somewhere on Earth. The Void, for once, did not.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

And it gets everywhere . . .

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. Set Harth

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. fireproof78

Oh, yes. ESB is not that great or beloved as Star Wars. Now that's a controversial fan opinion I get can get behind!
    Yup. Fans always feel like they invented the latest outrage due to the newest installment.

I imagine that Shakespeare received similar letters when he came out with a new play.

13. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Criticism for Shakespeare was usually of the vegetable kind. :lol: Very immediate!

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Vegetables if he was lucky. Ah, the days of analogue communication where "shit slinging" was alarmingly literal!

publiusr and Commander Troi like this.
  15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So one thing I've always said, is that even though A New Hope is a childhood favorite and a movie I truly love, it's not a well made movie. Especially the editing is horrid. Pacing is weird.

This video is kind interesting. Never saw this before.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Jz3bKG-Ha9o?feature=share

16. fireproof78

Yeah, it's an amazing thing. The stress it put on Lucas was remarkable and that we have Star Wars at all is a remarkable feat in of itself. There is another video out there about SW being saved in the edit. It's an interesting bit of history in this film work.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Have to admit I'm not wild about how some of those "Star Wars was saved in the edit" stories frame the narrative.
    They way it's often told you'd think Lucas spent 4 months filming random nonsense, and then a single editor came in to magically make it into a movie. Kinda belies the fact that there were several editors working in a mad scramble to meet the deadline, mostly because the first editor flatly ignored Lucas's direction, started cutting things however he pleased, and had to be fired, leaving them all with an unholy mess to untangle on top of everything else that was going wrong. No wonder making that thing put George in the hospital!

Also ignores the basic reality of any complex collaborative creative endeavour from movies, to video games, stage plays, etc,, which is that it's ALWAYS a complete disaster until the last minute.

18. Set Harth

And as far as the weird pacing... taking the time to explore Tatooine is invaluable. Though we can say that portion of the film derives from its equivalent in the source material Kakushi-toride no san-akunin.

19. fireproof78

Well, I think it comes from a place of ignorance rather than accusatory in that sense. I am grateful to having several friends who worked in the filmmaking business, in various capacities, and have shared their experiences with me. One, it is a highly chaotic process and not one that I enjoy so their approach makes little sense to my brain. Two, Lucas was stressed to the max. I don't think it was one editor but his whole team that made it possible.

And finally, I think it should be noted that given the chaotic nature of the filmmaking process it is a minor miracle any film gets made.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Horrid? Not at all.

The editors won freaking Academy Awards, FFS. Justifiably so.

Set Harth likes this.