The College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Commander Vaughn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a brand new field and those turf packing rubber pellets can be a bitch.

My Semi-jokingly Top 10 Predictions for 2011 (because poll voters suck)

1. Ohio State
    2. USC
    3. Wisconsin
    4. Michigan
    5. Notre Dame
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Penn State
    8. Florida State
    9. Texas
    10. Virginia Tech

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Congrats to Auburn and their fans.

Oregon had their chances, but some of the cutesy stuff (especially in the first half) cost them. Not to mention failing on 4th and goal. Still, they proved they deserved to be there and gave Auburn a run for their money. A play here, a play there, and this would have come out differently.

PS: Next time, play through to the whistle!

:lol:

3. warpmephaseme

warpmephaseme Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hahaha, I was telling my friends that Cam really "earned" the win.

4. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The above are two of the sillier statements posted in this thread. If things break just a bit more Oregon's way, they win the game. There was certainly no sense that Auburn was vastly or even demonstrably superior. They got it done last night, to their credit. Another game would have seen things go differently.

Did anyone else get a sense that the officiating favored Auburn just a tad?

Arguably Harris' interception should have counted. In addition, usually if you stand over someone and kick them as hard as you can, the consequence is a bit more than a personal foul. The lad should have been tossed. This among other moments had me goin', "Hmm..."

Yep ... stamp a big fat asterisk next to Auburn's title.

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aburn should play TCU if we want a legitimate championship.

7. JM1776

Easier to say when it's not your life, and you're not the one who got screwed.

We'll agree to disagree. I definitely think Oregon got the short end of the officiating stick, though I'm not precisely crying "Fix!" [I also think they might well win if the refs call a cleaner game. It seemed that just about every big, questionable call went the Tigers' way. How SpECial.]

And there's no question that Auburn's win is tainted. In this rare case, I think the sins of the fathers are the sins of the sons.

But ... it's a day-and-a-half later, and life goes on. [Shrugs]

8. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a better argument that his ankle was down, not the wrist. Still, wrap-up when you tackle and play to the whistle.

I don't think the officiating was slanted, but Oregon certainly didn't do the things needed to take the game out of the officials' hands either. Their play-calling was lousy and the speed of Auburn's defensive front was very telling. Any play the Ducks ran that took time to develop was, more often than not, shut down before it had a chance.

Another thing to note is that the word of the Newtons' is worthless. Despite an agreement he not attend the game as part of his separation from the program, Cecil Newton was there. Cam claimed he didn't know if his father would attend, but was looking for him immediately after the game. Of course, he didn't know, just like he didn't know that laptop was stolen, but tossed it out the window when questioned about it, precisely what an innocent and unaware person would do. Guy's a great player but he's one of those crooked manipulative people who hides his self-serving malfeasance behind his charm and a smile.

9. Neroon

There's a significant difference between saying that the refs were "biased" (a charge as overused as"rip-off" is in the sci-fi community) as opposed to saying one team got the short end of the stick. I do think Oregon was short-changed on a few calls, but I seriously doubt that it was intentional. They just screwed up.

10. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It doesn't matter in the end. It wasn't a legitimate win because of Cam playing, not the refs questionable fouls called.

11. JM1776

I think Cam Newton's been given a pass because he's photogenic and charming, as well as aping sincere contrition and ignorance better than most. [Well, that and the fact that his presence gave the NCAA the game they wanted.]

The kid is slick, I'll give him that.

12. JM1776

Note that I had originally said that "the officiating" favored Auburn, not that 'the officials' did—a very different assertion. You used the word "biased," dude. ;)

I do think it was enough to change the game's outcome, though, and stand firmly by that. I don't in the least concede that Auburn's the better team, or that they cleanly earned their championship. Borderline incompetent officiating and the presence of a player who should never have been allowed to play leave a very bad taste in the mouths of those who prefer a just result.

Oh, well.

Does anyone think TCU might jump conferences and never actually play a game in the Big East?

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Naturally in a game that is decided on a field goal in the last seconds of regular time officiating often makes a difference; there's no point dwelling on it though.

14. warpmephaseme

warpmephaseme Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is what it is all about. The NCAA is a business and Cam Newton is the person who was going to make them all the money this year. When it turned out the golden child wasn't so golden, there was a sham investigation as a weak attempt to maintain some semblance of, I don't know, integrity? Sportsmanship?

It's all about the money. I wouldn't be surprised if a subsequent investigation reveals more wrongdoing - but of course, it will be after the checks are all cashed.

As for Oregon getting the short end of the officiating stick - I'm an Oklahoma alum. Oregon's gotten officiating gifts in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIykYoM260

15. JM1776

I watched that game. I loathe Oklahoma, and love Oregon, yet was still screaming at the TV. For just a few minutes, I was a Sooners' fan, if only out of sympathy for just how screwed they got.

16. Neroon

Oh that was an officiating travesty, one of the worst I'd seen, a real embarrassment for the conference supplying the field officials. Was there some punitive action taken after that game?

17. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Not a brand new field. They may have resodded a bit to make it look nice, but it was the same field that the Tostito's Fiesta Bowl and the Arizona Cardinals had played on the week before.

18. What you going to say???????

19. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope. Brand new field: "New sod installed for title game". With all the slipping, it might suit them to take the story down. It didn't help the debut of new shoes by Nike and Under Armour either.

20. JM1776

I think the new field hurt Oregon more. They're more finesse-oriented, and cuts were much more difficult. Yet another factor that favored Auburn ... and they still only won by a field goal.