The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

On this day fifty years ago, Glam Rock band Mud released the UK single 'Tiger Feet', written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn.

It went straight to Number One, where it stayed for four consecutive weeks. It sold over 700,000 copies in the UK alone and over a million copies globally. It was also the best selling single in Britain that year.

This is where it gets interesting. After Mud broke up in the late 70s, lead guitarist Rob Davis would concentrate on songwriting and production. In 2001, Rob teamed with songwritter Cathy Dennis to write, record and produce the Kylie Minogue song 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head'.

I have the Mud 'Singles A's & B's' on CD, so I already knew the song 'Tiger Feet'. When I head 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' for the first time, I thought, 'Why does this seem so familiar?' And, 'Where have I heard this before?' When I found out about Rob Davis, I thought to myself, 'Yeah, I can almost hear the connection there.'

Last edited:
Also peaking this week on the UK singles charts at No. 8 is Roy Wood with the song 'Forever'.

Wood played all of the musical instruments on the recording, as well as supplying lead and multi-tracked backing vocals. The singles label bore the script "with special thanks to Brian Wilson and Neil Sedaka for their influence".

Roy Wood and Wizzard would later go on to meet Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys in Los Angeles in October 1974, during Wizzard's one, and only U.S. tour.

Roy would be invited to a Beach Boys recording session and play drums and saxophone along with Wizzard horn section Nick Pentalow and Mike Burney, on the song 'It's OK', released on the 1976 Beach Boys album '15 Big Ones.'

If I'm not mistaken, Roy Wood is the only artist to have both a solo single ('Forever') and band single (Wizzard with 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday' - previously discussed) in the UK Top Twenty at the same time - Dec. 1973-Jan.1974.

Roy is also the only artist to have three singles in the UK Top Ten in the same year (1972) with three different bands - 'California Man' (The Move - May 1972, #7), '10538 Overture' (The Electric Light Orchestra - June 1972, #9) and 'Ball Park Incident' (Wizzard - November 1972, #6).

Last edited:
Going by the shows on this year's weekly "boob tube" lists--including a few shows that I'm not actively watching in-season--here are the survivors listed with current ages and in order of seniority:
Wow, it's very weird seeing them listed with their ages like that. The youngest is the same age as me. Bob Newhart is closing in on that coveted 100-year mark that several have come close to. I wonder how Robert Fuller is doing-- he seems to have been out of the public eye for a while.

I think it referred in general to the aliens' perception of humanoids. More specifically, there was a reference to the aliens finding the humanoids unattractive.
Hmm, okay.

This is where McCoy can be grateful that Spock's not the type.
Not sure about Kirk, though, after a couple of shots of Saurian Brandy. :rommie:

Except for realizing the alien captors and other captives.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. The toughest would be the lake monster. The closest they ever came to doing a giant monster was Apollo, I think. For the slugs, something along the lines of the Horta would work. They'd definitely have to change things up, but the basic plot and theme would work.

Squad 51 is one of several paramedic squads active in the city. They're not singled out in the show as being exceptional among their peers. And somebody's gotta see to the other calls.
Like rescuing nurses from vending machines. :rommie: But they must have mutual support arrangements with neighboring cities for major events like that.

Ah...vaguely rings a bell.
The main reason I remember that is that my Uncle Ken worked for Avis in those days-- well, actually about five years prior to what you're covering now. They also had an ad campaign involving "bugs" (you can see a couple here, but there were a bunch). He used to bring me home sticker sheets of all the bugs.

Actually, it was mentioned that they'd been evacuated.
Oh, cool.

Greg was just taking the kid-friendly thing that much further to draw business.
It would have been funny if they had an escalating kid-friendly war. :rommie:

Not intentional.
I know. :rommie:

On this day fifty years ago, Glam Rock band Mud released the UK single 'Tiger Feet', written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn.
That's pretty good and catchy.

Weirdly, I think I actually remember that.

Also peaking this week on the UK singles charts at No. 8 is Roy Wood with the song 'Forever'.
That one's pretty good, too.

The youngest is the same age as me.
I never realized you're the same age as Cindy...I could get so much mileage out of that...
Bob Newhart is closing in on that coveted 100-year mark that several have come close to.
I'd misremembered that he'd died in recent years...no doubt because his recurring character on The Big Bang Theory died (after which he appeared as a Force ghost in dream sequences).
I wonder how Robert Fuller is doing-- he seems to have been out of the public eye for a while.
The last mentions of his activities on his Wiki page are of a public 80th birthday and receiving an award, both in 2013.

Not sure about Kirk, though, after a couple of shots of Saurian Brandy. :rommie:
I think the only one Kirk would be that informal with is Bones.

It would have been funny if they had an escalating kid-friendly war. :rommie:
We didn't even see the inside of Greg's office.

Last edited:
I never realized you're the same age as Cindy...I could get so much mileage out of that...
I'll brace myself. :rommie:

I'd misremembered that he'd died in recent years...no doubt because his recurring character on The Big Bang Theory died (after which he appeared as a Force ghost in dream sequences).
He's still hilarious. :rommie: I have to wonder about special effects in a sitcom that's filmed before a live audience, though. What exactly is the audience responding to? Do they hold up signs? Do they actually add the laughter in post production?

The last mentions of his activities on his Wiki page are of a public 80th birthday and receiving an award, both in 2013.
I hope he's having a nice comfortable retirement.

I think the only one Kirk would be that informal with is Bones.
That's who we're talking about. He of the wiggling legs and crushed torso.

We didn't even see the inside of Greg's office.
Missed opportunity. It would have been especially funny if he had an Addams Family poster. :rommie:

50 Years Ago This Week

January 13
  • Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport (DFW), which would become the second-busiest in the world for passenger service, opened in the U.S. state of Texas for scheduled flights. The first flight to land was a Boeing 727 arriving from Memphis, Tennessee. American Airlines Flight 293 to Los Angeles became DFW's first departure several hours later. Operated by the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth, the airport occupies 27 square miles (70 km2) of land in Dallas County and Tarrant County.
  • In Super Bowl VIII, held at Rice Stadium in Houston, Texas, the American Football Conference (AFC) champion Miami Dolphins retained their title as National Football League champions, defeating the National Football Conference (NFC) champion Minnesota Vikings by a score of 24–7.

January 15
  • A panel of technical experts testified that the 18½-minute gap in the tape recording of President Nixon's conversation with H. R. Haldeman on June 20, 1972, was made by someone pushing the record-erase button at least five times and as many as nine times. White House attorney James D. St. Clair objected to all questions about whether the erasure was deliberate.
  • The first of the 10 "BTK Murders" took place in the U.S. city of Wichita, Kansas, as a security alarm installer, Dennis Rader, strangled a family of four people, two of them children. Rader would kill three more victims in the 1970s, then resume the murders in 1985, and would taunt the Wichita police before finally being arrested in 2005.
  • Comet Kohoutek, discovered from Earth on March 18, 1973, and predicted to be even brighter than Halley's Comet, made its closest approach to Earth, coming no closer than 0.8 astronomical units or 74,000,000 miles (119,000,000 km), and being barely visible to the naked eye.
  • The three astronauts on the third crewed U.S. space mission to Skylab set a new world record for time spent in space, breaking the mark of 59 days, 11 hours set by the previous crew on its mission from July 28 to September 25, 1973. Launched on November 16, 1973, the new Skylab astronauts reached 60 days in space later in the day, and would complete 84 days, 1 hour and 12 minutes in space upon their return on February 8.
  • Actor John Wayne visited Cambridge, Massachusetts, at the invitation of The Harvard Lampoon, to debate students and promote his new film, McQ. Wayne rode through Harvard Square from the Lampoon Castle to the Harvard Square Theatre in an armored personnel carrier from Fort Devens, confronted on the way by Native Americans expressing support for the protesters on trial for the Wounded Knee Occupation. At the debate, Wayne claimed not to be able to hear a question about his participation in enforcing the Hollywood blacklist.
  • The U.S. TV sitcom Happy Days debuted on ABC. After switching in 1975 to being filmed in front of a live audience, Happy Days would reach number one in the Nielsen ratings in the United States. Critic reaction was mixed, with Jay Sharbutt of the Associated Press writing, "It is a half-hour comedy series. It is set in the 1950s. It is awful," but adding that it "does a pretty fair job of recapturing the atmosphere of the era," and Kay Gardella of New York's Daily News commenting that as a midseason replacement, "some of the new arrivals are worse than the shows that were dropped."

January 18
  • The Israeli and Egyptian governments signed the Israel-Egypt Disengagement Treaty of 1974, ending conflict on the Egyptian front of the Yom Kippur War. The signing at Kilometer 101 was made by Lieutenant Generals Mohammed Gemasy of Egypt and David Elazar of Israel.
  • Died: Bill Finger, 59, American comic strip and comic book writer, co-creator (with Bob Kane) of Batman

January 19
  • The Battle of the Paracel Islands between China and South Vietnam began. China conquered all of the islands in the Paracel archipelago the next day.
  • The 88-game winning streak of the UCLA Bruins college basketball team ended when the Notre Dame Fighting Irish beat the visiting Bruins by one point, 71 to 70.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
2. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
3. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station
4. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
5. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
6. "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce
7. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
8. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
9. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
10. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
11. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White
12. "Helen Wheels," Paul McCartney & Wings
13. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
14. "When I Fall in Love" / "Are You Lonesome Tonight", Donny Osmond
15. "Me and Baby Brother," War
16. "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich
17. "Americans," Byron MacGregor
18. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
19. "Livin' for You," Al Green
20. "Walk Like a Man (You Can Call Me Your Man)," Grand Funk
21. "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," Helen Reddy
22. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
23. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," Elton John
24. "Sister Mary Elephant (Shudd-Up!)," Cheech & Chong
25. "Top of the World," Carpenters
26. "Hello It's Me," Todd Rundgren
27. "If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)," The Staple Singers

29. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
30. "Let Your Hair Down," The Temptations
31. "Rockin' Roll Baby," The Stylistics
32. "Rock On," David Essex
33. "Joy, Pt. 1," Isaac Hayes
34. "Mind Games," John Lennon
35. "Just You 'n' Me," Chicago
36. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman
37. "American Tune," Paul Simon
38. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
39. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
40. "Love Song," Anne Murray
41. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross

43. "D'yer Mak'er," Led Zeppelin
44. "My Music," Loggins & Messina

46. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks

48. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King

51. "The Love I Lost (Pt. 1)," Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

61. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones

63. "I Got a Name," Jim Croce

65. "Come Get to This," Marvin Gaye
66. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier

70. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
71. "Raised on Robbery," Joni Mitchell

73. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
74. "Photograph," Ringo Starr
75. "Sexy Mama," The Moments

82. "Dark Lady," Cher

84. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades

86. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks

90. "Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band

95. "Space Race," Billy Preston

97. "Last Kiss," J. Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers

100. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer

Leaving the chart:
  • "Let Me Serenade You," Three Dog Night (12 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"Sexy Mama," The Moments
(Jan. 12; #17 US; #3 R&B)

"Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band
(#65 US; #29 AC)

"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
(#23 US)

"Dark Lady," Cher
(#1 US the week of Mar. 23, 1974; #3 AC; #36 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "Trouble in the Bank"
  • Hawaii Five-O, "Secret Witness"
  • Kung Fu, "A Dream Within a Dream"
  • Ironside, "Once More for Joey"
  • The Brady Bunch, "Out of This World"
  • The Odd Couple, "The Flying Felix"
  • M*A*S*H, "Operation Noselift"
  • Emergency!, "Fools"
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "The Co-Producers"
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "The Jobless Corps"

Alas, I wanted to cover the early seasons of Happy Days, but it turns out that Paramount Plus only has partial episodes of Season 2. Also, it's on against Adam-12 in the latter show's new Tuesday 8:00 slot.

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

I'll brace myself. :rommie:
I don't think Cindy's gotten braces.

That's who we're talking about. He of the wiggling legs and crushed torso.
So who's Kirk yukking it up with, Spock?

A panel of technical experts testified that the 18½-minute gap in the tape recording of President Nixon's conversation with H. R. Haldeman on June 20, 1972, was made by someone pushing the record-erase button at least five times and as many as nine times.
It becomes more and more amazing that the secretary got off scot free.

Comet Kohoutek, discovered from Earth on March 18, 1973, and predicted to be even brighter than Halley's Comet, made its closest approach to Earth, coming no closer than 0.8 astronomical units or 74,000,000 miles (119,000,000 km), and being barely visible to the naked eye.
This makes me wonder why they thought it would be so spectacular. Venus and Mars both come closer. Halley's Comet swoops in to about three million miles or so.

"Sexy Mama," The Moments
I don't remember hearing this before, but I've already forgotten it so I might have.

"Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band
Squiggy's looking at his watch, but this is a nice piece of catchy nostalgia.

"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
This is a good one.

"Dark Lady," Cher
Another good one from Cher's brief period of goodness.

Alas, I wanted to cover the early seasons of Happy Days, but it turns out that Paramount Plus only has partial episodes of Season 2.
Odd. I wonder why that is. Could there be Copyright issues with music?

I don't think Cindy's gotten braces.
She's lucky. I did. That was miserable.

So who's Kirk yukking it up with, Spock?
Well, he could be teasing McCoy alone, but it's always more fun when Spock is present too. :rommie:

Skip to the 2:50 mark or so to see Force Ghost Bob Newhart.
That's very interesting. I always imagined being at a sitcom taping was more like watching a play.

On the subject of TV stars you might be surprised to learn were still with us...Joyce Randolph, last surviving cast member of The Honeymooners, just passed at 99.

It becomes more and more amazing that the secretary got off scot free.
Indeed.

I don't remember hearing this before, but I've already forgotten it so I might have.
I have the substantially longer album version...but yeah, it's one of those songs that you couldn't say how it goes while you're listening to it.

Squiggy's looking at his watch, but this is a nice piece of catchy nostalgia.
Squiggy wouldn't have as long to look, as the single version for this was also shorter.

This is a good one.
Rock radio classic.

Another good one from Cher's brief period of goodness.
Less historically embarrassing than her previous chart-topper.

Odd. I wonder why that is. Could there be Copyright issues with music?
The partial episodes seems to be a streaming availability thing for Paramount-owned shows. The streaming schedules for the sitcoms in the Paramount library (e.g., Brady Bunch, Odd Couple) also substitute other episodes for the ones that are missing from Paramount Plus. What's odd in the case of Happy Days is that only Season 2 has any available episodes. Catchy is actually doing a Happy Days Binge as I type this, but no Season 1 episodes were available in the streaming schedule; and the Season 2 episodes are all ones available on Paramount Plus.

She's lucky. I did. That was miserable.
Maybe you could have used a pep talk from Marcia...

That's very interesting. I always imagined being at a sitcom taping was more like watching a play.
I was in the audience of a talk show taping. There was lots of audience prompting, and the audience was worked up before the show. I have a DVD of the Adam Sandler remake of The Longest Yard--handed out to members of the audience--as a souvenir. By coincidence, they also showed it on the plane.

On the subject of TV stars you might be surprised to learn were still with us...Joyce Randolph, last surviving cast member of The Honeymooners, just passed at 99.
Yeah, I saw that. Another near miss for the century mark.

Squiggy wouldn't have as long to look, as the single version for this was also shorter.
I figured as much. I didn't remember it being seven minutes long. :rommie:

The partial episodes seems to be a streaming availability thing for Paramount-owned shows.
Conflicting rights with syndication packages or something, I suppose. I dunno.

Maybe you could have used a pep talk from Marcia...
I would have been very open to getting pepped up by Marcia. :rommie:

I was in the audience of a talk show taping. There was lots of audience prompting, and the audience was worked up before the show. I have a DVD of the Adam Sandler remake of The Longest Yard--handed out to members of the audience--as a souvenir.
I seem to remember reading that sitcoms have stand-up comedians come out as opening acts to get everyone in the mood.

Marcia got braces
Jan got glasses
Cindy, uh...has a lisp.
I had all of the above. :rommie:

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"One Born Every Minute"
Originally aired January 8, 1974
Wiki said:
McGarrett tries to nail a sophisticated con game targeting wealthy male tourists.

At an outdoor hotel restaurant table, Tom Madrid (Ed Flanders) makes a call about a deal as tourist George Heller (Peter Carew) and a female companion (Lynnette Mettey) wait excitedly. Proceeding to Madrid's car, they find somebody trying to break into the trunk (James J. Borges), who pulls a gun. Madrid pulls his and the thief is wounded in an exchange of fire, limping into some bushes and falling dead onto the ground. Madrid screeches off in his car; the girl sends George running; and a policeman who acts like he's got the situation under control (Doug Mossman) takes the girl in. When Five-O arrives, the body can't be found, it's learned that there was no such cop on duty, and Che determines the trail of red liquid to be Dracula blood--the kind used for Halloween. Questioned with his wife, Sylvia (Connie Sawyer), present, George admits that he invested $35,000 in a diamond sale. We see the con artists assembled in an apartment--Madrid's actual name being Joe Connors; the girl is Cindy; the very much alive thief is Big Mardo; and according to the credits, Mossman's character is named Elfidio.

While Five-O is identifying Connors and trying to identify the girl, the bunco artists work their next victim, Harry Maguire (Michael Strong). Cindy picks him up in a car; the place she was taking him to is closed; she agrees to give a ride to a stranded character going by the name of Willie (Tommy Fujiwara, whose character is billed as Sunada); he spots his ride--Connors using another alias--with a broken-down car on the side of the road; and Connors also gets a lift. Willie explains to Connors how he needs money to get to New York, where he plans to sell a stash of diamonds that he's brought from South America. They drop Willie off in front of a bank and take a diamond that Willie gave to Connors to a jeweler named Mark that Connors knows--a.k.a. Elfidio. While Mark's inspecting the diamond, they find that Willie left his entire case of diamonds. Mark identifies the diamonds as a stolen collection worth about $200,000, makes a call, offers that much for the diamonds, and casts doubt on Willie's ability to sell the stones in New York. The group picks Willie back up at the bank and Connors talks Willie into selling them to a guy he knows for $100,000. Cindy offers to put up some of the money, and Harry becomes interested in playing.

Five-O tracks Cindy to the hotel where she picked Harry up. Back at his room with his wife, Natalie (Patricia Herman), Harry calls a friend to borrow $50,000. When he meets up with Connors and Cindy, they report that they're still $15,000 short, so Harry goes to hit up his brother-in-law. The group subsequently exchanges their $100,000 for the diamonds. Connors puts the diamonds in the trunk and the trio goes for drinks. Connors and Cindy both make excuses to slip away, and the two of them get in the car with Elfidio and Sunada outside. Harry soon finds that Connors has left him with the bill and panics. Meanwhile, a door-to-door questioning at Harry's hotel has gotten Five-O interested in him, as Mrs. Maguire was very defensive in answering questions about the "tramp" they showed her a sketch of. Harry despondently returns to his room and faces the music with Natalie. Cut to Five-O responding to a call about a jumper from the hotel's 15th floor--Harry Maguire.

At the Hall of Bunco, Connors isn't pleased with this development, which is a first in his career. Nevertheless, he decides that the best way to evade McGarrett is not to head straight for the airport, and that they might as well hit one more mark while they're waiting. Staking out the hotel, Danno spots Cindy picking up the next mark, Alex Anderson (John Stalker). Five-O tails them and we cut to the chase of Anderson and Cindy meeting Connors at a restaurant for the payoff. But for reasons unclear to me, after Cindy slips away and makes a phone call to Connors at the table, he calls the deal off and the gang disperses in different cars, leaving Anderson at the restaurant. Anderson subsequently shows up at Connors's apartment with the extra money that Connors said he needed, which Connors accepts. Then Five-O follows Anderson in with a warrant, find the rest of the gang hiding, and reveal that the bills are marked.

_______

Adam-12
"The Sweet Smell..."
Originally aired January 9, 1974
MeTV said:
A clumsy elderly woman spills a large bottle of perfume in Malloy and Reed's patrol car, resulting in a most unpleasant work day. Meanwhile, a reported burglar in a church office results in a comical case of mistaken identity, a well-meaning man is accused of kidnapping his granddaughter and a young boy asks for help locating his stolen bicycle.

The officers are assigned to see gift shop proprietor Vernon Barber (Olan Soule) about an elderly customer, Myrna Huffman (Sheila Bromley)...who claims that her poltergeist is the one knocking things over in the shop. Unable to find contact info for her daughter, they put her in back to bring her to the station...and quickly find that the poltergeist has knocked over the bottle of perfume she was holding. They take the car to Tony at the police garage (Lennie Weinrib reprising his role from last season's "The Beast"). The talkative native New Yorker tries rubbing the overpowering smell out with gasoline; but back on patrol, the officers find that the perfume is winning, causing Reed to open the window despite it being chilly enough out that the officers are uncharacteristically wearing their uniform cold-weather jackets.

Seeing what appears to be an altercation outside of a church, the officers get out to find that the woman involved is mute (there's a good way of keeping her uncredited) and trying to get attention. She writes on a pad that there's a burglar in the church office. Sneaking inside with guns drawn, they find a man clearing out the safe, who, as he's being arrested, identifies himself as the pastor, Rev. Thomas Sherman (Stuart Nisbet). The skeptical officers listen as he explains that he came in outside of his normal hours and via the window to make a bank deposit in place of his secretary. His identity is confirmed when their backup, Officer Woods, enters, as "Gerard" is a member of the congregation...and finds himself put on the spot to show up on Sunday for a change. As the officers are leaving, the woman writes that their car stinks.

Tony reexamines the back seat to find that the perfume got in the foam rubber of the cushion. His even less effective solution this time is a pine air freshener.

Malloy: You could put the whole Sequoia National Forest in the back seat and you're not gonna smell a pine tree.​

Adam-12 is assigned lead in an all-units for a kidnapping in progress. They pull over the reported car, separating the driver, George Atchison (George Chandler), from the 5-year-old girl, Mindy Wagner (Dori Whitaker). Atchison explains that he and his wife are neighbors who routinely take care of Mindy when her mother is drinking; and that they'd finally had enough and were trying to take Mindy to her grandmother, and were reported for kidnapping by Mrs. Wagner, who's brought to the scene quietly under the influence in the back of Woods's unit. The officers leave Mindy with the Atchisons while informing Woods to have the mother investigated for child endangerment...Atchison having told them of how one of Mrs. Wagner's boyfriends had beaten Mindy.

Back at the garage, Tony's unable to provide the officers with a substitute unit, so Reed sprays some wild banana air freshener into the back seat. On patrol, the officers are flagged down by a boy named Billy (Jay Jay Jue), who reports that a teenager stole his bike. They put him in back, he comments on the smell, and they drive around the area looking for the thief...whom they find has been tackled by three of Billy's friends who'd pursued him.

In the parking area of the station, Malloy and Reed turn the squad over to the next watch, and Officer Snyder (Arnold Turner) immediately objects to the smell.

_______

Ironside
"Two Hundred Large"
Originally aired January 10, 1974
Wiki said:
A bank robber's daughter is kidnapped and held for ransom.

Mark's rolling Ironside on a downtown sidewalk when the Chief spots a likely 211 in progress at a bank. While Mark calls it in, the Chief rolls inside to find himself held at gunpoint by bank robber John J. Hardway (Paul Burke looking a little grayer these days) at 10 o'clock high. When they hear sirens, the robber's two accomplices try to split out the back, one of them getting shot offscreen and the other getting away with $200,000. Hardway briefly tries to use Ironside as a hostage, but is talked down by the Chief.

After the slug found in the dead robber, Barker, is found to have come from the third robber's gun, the Chief shares this into with Hardway in his cell. Believing that he'll still be getting a now-bigger slice of the pie, Hardway doesn't want to identify his partner. Looking into the known robbers at the Cave, the Chief takes interest when he learns that Hardway's record consists only of having just served a few years for a burglary, so he has Hardway's personal history looked into. A shady character named Rick (Michael Bell) watching the news also takes interest when it turns out that his ladyfriend, Stella (Kres Mersky), knows Hardway. Both parties learn that he's a widower who has 10-year-old daughter named Charlene who's in a foster home, but Rick gets to her first, making an unscheduled pickup from the school playground.

Ironside learns that Hardway's tried to strangle a trustee named Harrison (Woody Parfrey) who was anonymously contacted to serve as a go-between for the ransom demand. The Chief visits Hardway again to find him more willing to talk, identifying Vince Niconde as the third man, who recruited him and Barker for the job, also telling the chief of a pill addiction and a go-go joint hangout. Ed hits the hangout to learn that Vince had an interest in one of the girls there, Candy. Fran goes to the agency that placed Charlene in her home, where she talks to...Stella Tanner. Mark investigates the source of the pills by putting a pool player named Benny (Louis Basile) in debt to him, which leads him and Ed to a newsstand narcotics deal. When they move in on Vince, he tries to get away and is hit by a car. His ID is in the name of Victor Kenton.

Ed hits the go-go joint while Candy's working (Barbara Brownell) to hit her up for info about Vince, which turns out to be slim...but something she repeats him having said combined with a uniform found in Vince's apartment indicates that he was working as an elevator operator. Questioning his co-worker (Vince Howard), Ed finds the jackpot on the roof of one of the elevators. Niconde's death having made the news, Stella tries to talk Rick into letting the girl go, but he still thinks Hardway can lead him to the dough. Back at the Cave, the Chief pieces together that the only person who knew everything the kidnapper would need to know would have been the woman at the agency. Fran talks to Stella's boss (Claudia Bryar) to find that she has a gentleman named Rick...who concerns Stella when he indicates that they won't need to worry about Charlene talking.

The Chief feeds false intel to Hardway to make him think that they haven't found the money (and possibly to cause Hardway to piece together where it was hidden, though I wasn't clear on that). At Harrison's next cell visit, Hardway relays info about where the money is stashed to the kidnapper. Harrison calls Ironside as planned, and Ed's working at the elevator operator's desk when Rick shows up as a maintenance man. Ed and Mark nab Rick working the top of the elevator car. When he threatens that the girl will be offed, Rick is informed that Stella called the police as soon as he left.

The episode ends with the Chief taking Hardway to watch Charlene with her foster father at a distance before his ten-year sentence commences. Hardway expresses his thankfulness that he didn't shoot Ironside when he had the chance at the bank.

_______

The Brady Bunch
"The Driver's Seat"
Originally aired January 11, 1974
IMDb said:
Marcia battles nerves and Greg's sexist remarks when she tries to get her driver's license. Eventually, the debate over which gender has the better driving abilities leads to a winner-take-all driving test in a vacant parking lot.

Marcia's excited because she got the highest grade in her driver's ed class, but Greg can't believe that she beat all the guys. She bets him that she scores higher on her exam than he did...the loser having to do all of the winner's chores for a month, with the stakes later being raised to six months. Meanwhile, Jan wallows in some drama about having lost a debate at school. Marcia gives her a pep talk, telling her that she has to psych herself up before the next debate...while Mike gives her the family-friendly advice of picturing her audience in the nude their underwear. When Marcia's exam day comes, she scores a little higher than Greg did on the written exam...but when the examiner (Herb Vigran) gets in the passenger seat, she freezes up, fumbling with all of the controls and being unable to even get out of her parking spot.

Marcia comes home humiliated, while Jan comes home ecstatic at having won a debate by following Marcia and Mike's advice. This time Jan gives Marcia a pep talk, telling her that the same advice can be used in her situation. While Greg is willing to call off the bet, Marcia ups it to a year of chores for her second attempt at the exam. This time she pictures the examiner in his underwear (which we see, including a tank top), which makes her giggly. Ultimately, her driving test score is a little lower than Greg's, leading to their overall scores coming to a tie. Mike comes up with the idea of holding a competition like truck drivers do. The Bradys set up a pylon obstacle course in an empty parking lot, with the finish being to stop as close as possible to the last pylon without knocking over an egg on top of it. Marcia goes first and stops an inch and half from the pylon. Greg does as well as her for the rest of the course, but at the end, under pressure to beat Marcia, completely flubs his stop, running into the pylon and knocking over the egg. Marcia shows the same charity as he previously did, willing to let the bet go...though he insists on fulfilling it.

In the coda, Bobby and RJ Cindy want to hold a similar competition on their bikes, but Peter discourages Bobby by pointing to Greg burning his fingers doing Marcia's ironing.

_______

The Odd Couple
"Cleanliness Is Next to Impossible"
Wiki said:
When Oscar's habitual sloppiness threatens his new romantic relationship, Felix tries hypnosis to cure him.

Oscar brings home his GOTW Phyllis (Janice Lynde, who's young enough to be Klugman's daughter), after a date, and when he expresses how serious he is about her, she brings up his sloppiness. When Felix agrees with her the next morning, Oscar resolves to be as neat as Felix. A visit by Felix to Oscar's office shows no progress.

Felix: It looks as though the Red Cross is going to come in and serve doughnuts.​

Felix consults Myrna, who underwent shock therapy to help her in her ongoing attempt to give up smoking. Felix takes Oscar to see a specialist, Dr. Bates (Richard Stahl)...but they walk out after witnessing a heated argument between him and his receptionist (Shirley Mitchell).

Felix tries playing shrink himself, which involves Oscar going into a brief flashback about how his slovenly habits and gambling addiction go back to childhood--with Jack playing Oscar's tidy father and his son Adam playing young Oscar. Felix subsequently brings homes a client, Ernie Ferguson (Allan Arbus), who puts Oscar in a trance without consent, and sets a trigger phrase that, when Felix says it, will cause Oscar to be repelled by messiness. Felix tests the command--"The fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves"--immediately after Oscar is brought out of the trance, finding that it works until he snaps his fingers. Felix hovers around delivering the phrase when Oscar brings Phyllis over for dinner with him and Miriam. Phyllis is impressed with the change in Oscar, but Felix accidentally snaps his fingers again, causing Oscar to revert...while Phyllis wonders why Felix keeps quoting Shakespeare. Ultimately Phyllis storms out when spellbound Oscar chastises her over her own table manners. Felix snaps Oscar out of his trance and confesses to what he had Ernie do, which Oscar doesn't appreciate.

Oscar mentions that he's been divorced eight years...which I think agrees with some references, and wildly overshoots an infamous recent outlier.

_______

"One Born Every Minute"
Now there's an appropriate title. :rommie:

Madrid screeches off in his car; the girl sends George running; and a policeman who acts like he's got the situation under control (Doug Mossman) takes the girl in.
Was the girl supposed to be with Madrid or Heller?

Cindy picks him up in a car; the place she was taking him to is closed; she agrees to give a ride to a stranded character going by the name of Willie (Tommy Fujiwara, whose character is billed as Sunada); he spots his ride--Connors using another alias--with a broken-down car on the side of the road; and Connors also gets a lift. Willie explains to Connors how he needs money to get to New York, where he plans to sell a stash of diamonds that he's brought from South America. They drop Willie off in front of a bank and take a diamond that Willie gave to Connors to a jeweler named Mark that Connors knows--a.k.a. Elfidio. While Mark's inspecting the diamond, they find that Willie left his entire case of diamonds. Mark identifies the diamonds as a stolen collection worth about $200,000, makes a call, offers that much for the diamonds, and casts doubt on Willie's ability to sell the stones in New York. The group picks Willie back up at the bank and Connors talks Willie into selling them to a guy he knows for $100,000. Cindy offers to put up some of the money, and Harry becomes interested in playing.
Okay, so married man Maguire is on a date with Cindy when they accidentally on purpose meet these two guys and just kind of hang out with them while all this bank and diamond stuff is going on, and he decides on the spur of the moment to put up tens of thousands of dollars in borrowed money for South American diamonds? Maguire is a sucker on a level that would stun even PT Barnum. :rommie:

Cut to Five-O responding to a call about a jumper from the hotel's 15th floor--Harry Maguire.
Ouch. But how did he get out there? Did hotels have openable windows in 1974?

At the Hall of Bunco, Connors isn't pleased with this development, which is a first in his career.
A twinge of conscience.

Nevertheless, he decides that the best way to evade McGarrett is not to head straight for the airport
Smart.

and that they might as well hit one more mark while they're waiting.
Stupid. And the shortest twinge of conscience on record.

But for reasons unclear to me, after Cindy slips away and makes a phone call to Connors at the table, he calls the deal off and the gang disperses in different cars, leaving Anderson at the restaurant. Anderson subsequently shows up at Connors's apartment with the extra money that Connors said he needed, which Connors accepts. Then Five-O follows Anderson in with a warrant, find the rest of the gang hiding, and reveal that the bills are marked.
It seems that Anderson must have been an undercover guy and Cindy either suspected him or spotted a tail or something. But I don't really see what good the marked bills would do them at that point.

who claims that her poltergeist is the one knocking things over in the shop.
Probably not true, but it would have been funny if it decided to switch over to Malloy. Then Adam-12 could have become a cross between a cop show and one of those shows like My Favorite Martian or I Dream of Jeannie, where a mortal is teamed up with a supernatural being. Just a thought.

causing Reed to open the window despite it being chilly enough out that the officers are uncharacteristically wearing their uniform cold-weather jackets.
Does it get that chilly in Los Angeles?

the woman involved is mute (there's a good way of keeping her uncredited)
Next week: "Mime Division."

As the officers are leaving, the woman writes that their car stinks.
:rommie:

Malloy: You could put the whole Sequoia National Forest in the back seat and you're not gonna smell a pine tree.
Time to try the gasoline again, only this time with a match. :rommie:

Atchison explains that he and his wife are neighbors who routinely take care of Mindy when her mother is drinking; and that they'd finally had enough and were trying to take Mindy to her grandmother
Kind of a things-are-not-as-they-seem theme this episode.

Malloy and Reed turn the squad over to the next watch, and Officer Snyder (Arnold Turner) immediately objects to the smell.
It'll be fine by next week.

Mark's rolling Ironside on a downtown sidewalk when the Chief spots a likely 211 in progress at a bank.
It's amazing how often crimefighters just stumble on bank robberies in progress. :rommie:

the Chief rolls inside to find himself held at gunpoint by bank robber
What the hell was he thinking?

a trustee named Harrison (Woody Parfrey) who was anonymously contacted to serve as a go-between
Seems weird, but I guess we don't know anything about Rick.

identifying Vince Niconde as the third man, who recruited him and Barker for the job
And so he was probably planning to plug Hardway, too.

a uniform found in Vince's apartment indicates that he was working as an elevator operator.
I bet he's got a few stories to tell.

Ed finds the jackpot on the roof of one of the elevators.
Nice.

the Chief pieces together that the only person who knew everything the kidnapper would need to know would have been the woman at the agency.
Assuming no other people exist in the whole wide world outside of the script. :rommie:

When he threatens that the girl will be offed, Rick is informed that Stella called the police as soon as he left.
Good twist.

Hardway expresses his thankfulness that he didn't shoot Ironside when he had the chance at the bank.
Note to self: Thank you for not committing murder. This episode had some nice bits, notably the character of Stella, the elevator hiding place, and the trustee working with Ironside.

Mike gives her the family-friendly advice of picturing her audience in the nude their underwear.
Not mentioning that half the audience will be picturing her nude.

This time Jan gives Marcia a pep talk, telling her that the same advice can be used in her situation.
Or any situation, really. I just do it all the time, just to be on the safe side.

While Greg is willing to call off the bet
Has he been taken over by space aliens or something?

Mike comes up with the idea of holding a competition like truck drivers do.
Isn't he supposed to be discouraging this sort of petty sibling rivalry? "The driving competition proved inconclusive. Now we move on to dueling pistols."

Marcia shows the same charity as he previously did, willing to let the bet go...though he insists on fulfilling it.
We really need to check for pods.

In the coda, Bobby and RJ Cindy want to hold a similar competition on their bikes
RJ would have lost badly. He crashed his bike so many times.... :rommie:

"Cleanliness Is Next to Impossible"
One of my favorite sayings. :rommie:

Oscar brings home his GOTW Phyllis (Janice Lynde, who's young enough to be Klugman's daughter)
You go, Oscar! :bolian:

Felix consults Myrna, who underwent shock therapy to help her in her ongoing attempt to give up smoking.
Somehow I doubt the legitimacy of that medical provider.

with Jack playing Oscar's tidy father and his son Adam playing young Oscar.
That's cool. I don't remember that.

Ernie Ferguson (Allan Arbus)
Dr Freedman.

who puts Oscar in a trance without consent
Must be Mandrake.

Phyllis is impressed with the change in Oscar
Is Oscar aware of the change? Does he ask any questions? Does he think he's always been neat? I don't think this is a realistic depiction of hypnotic therapy.

Felix snaps Oscar out of his trance and confesses to what he had Ernie do, which Oscar doesn't appreciate.
And Felix promises to never again use his ability to make Oscar a neatnik by quoting Shakespeare.

Was the girl supposed to be with Madrid or Heller?
It was Cindy, so she'd presumably picked Heller up.

Okay, so married man Maguire is on a date with Cindy when they accidentally on purpose meet these two guys and just kind of hang out with them while all this bank and diamond stuff is going on, and he decides on the spur of the moment to put up tens of thousands of dollars in borrowed money for South American diamonds? Maguire is a sucker on a level that would stun even PT Barnum. :rommie:
It was a long-form con in which everything played out like he was getting caught up in a series of circumstances.

Ouch. But how did he get out there? Did hotels have openable windows in 1974?
This is Hawaii, they have balconies! People taking dives from the high-rise hotel (of their own free will or coerced) is a trope of the show.

It seems that Anderson must have been an undercover guy and Cindy either suspected him or spotted a tail or something. But I don't really see what good the marked bills would do them at that point.
Anderson was, but what made them sniff it out wasn't clear. The marked bills were because the only way they could convict these guys was to catch them in the act of taking the money.

Probably not true, but it would have been funny if it decided to switch over to Malloy. Then Adam-12 could have become a cross between a cop show and one of those shows like My Favorite Martian or I Dream of Jeannie, where a mortal is teamed up with a supernatural being. Just a thought.
Definitely not true; it was played as a woman with a psychological issue, blaming the ghost for her own mischief.

Does it get that chilly in Los Angeles?
Maybe, but it was conspicuously out of nowhere in this case.

It's amazing how often crimefighters just stumble on bank robberies in progress. :rommie:
I wasn't even clear on why they happened to be parking the Ironsidemobile on the street right outside the bank, which didn't seem to be their destination.

I bet he's got a few stories to tell.
[Rimshot.]

Or any situation, really. I just do it all the time, just to be on the safe side.
Even with Herb Vigran?

Somehow I doubt the legitimacy of that medical provider.
It was described as little shocks to condition the patient not to touch cigarettes.

Is Oscar aware of the change? Does he ask any questions? Does he think he's always been neat? I don't think this is a realistic depiction of hypnotic therapy.
He doesn't question. It's good enough for TV.

Last edited:
This is Hawaii, they have balconies! People taking dives from the high-rise hotel (of their own free will or coerced) is a trope of the show.
That's true. It never struck me before how odd that is. I guess suicide is rare in paradise.

Anderson was, but what made them sniff it out wasn't clear. The marked bills were because the only way they could convict these guys was to catch them in the act of taking the money.
You'd think a wire or video would be better evidence. I'm not sure how marking the bills would make a difference unless they wanted to trace what he did with the money afterwards.

Definitely not true; it was played as a woman with a psychological issue, blaming the ghost for her own mischief.
I know, I was just adding genre elements to a mainstream show again. :rommie:

I wasn't even clear on why they happened to be parking the Ironsidemobile on the street right outside the bank, which didn't seem to be their destination.
His Ironsense was tingling. :mallory:

Even with Herb Vigran?
Well, sometimes I have to close my mind's eye.

It was described as little shocks to condition the patient not to touch cigarettes.
So my impression of her strapped into an electric chair with a rubber bite guard in her mouth, cables clamped to various parts of her body, and her feet in a pan of water is probably inaccurate.

He doesn't question. It's good enough for TV.
Maybe that's the reason they keep getting the timeline wrong: Everybody's been hypnotized multiple times but nobody remembers.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

Love, American Style
"Love and the Competitors / Love and the Forever Tree / Love and the Image Makers / Love and Mr. Bunny / Love and the Phobia"
Series finale

Bobby Riggs returns to TV comedy with "Love and the Competitors," and this time the female tennis competitor he brings with him is Rosemary Casals. The two of them are caught drag racing by rural deputy Fleetus (Tom Lester) and brought before the sheriff, Armie (Lester's fellow former Green Acres regular Pat Buttram). Bobby and Rosie are so competitive that they get into an argument over how competitive they are. Against their protests, they're locked up in a cell with a drunk (Joseph Mell) overnight, where the competition continues over a marathon of gin rummy and poker, and extends to other sundry matters like guessing the time. Finding their running score tied, they decide to have a kissing contest and a mutual attraction sparks between them. In the morning, it turns out that the drunk is the judge. He sentences each to 30 days, and they get into a competition of haggling their sentences up.

Bobby's acting chops didn't impress me as much here as on The Odd Couple; both tennis players were about equally unseasoned in their acting abilities, whereas Riggs could clearly outact King.

"Love and the Forever Tree" opens with a slo-mo, song-accompanied sequence of Kathy and Everett (Elaine Joyce and Robert Morse) falling for each other in the woods outside a summer camp as teenagers in 1923, which includes carving their initials in a heart on a tree. When Kathy tells Everett that her family is moving to Texas, so he won't be seeing her at camp the next year, he has them make a pledge to meet again under the tree in ten years.

The song expresses Everett's doubts as he returns to the tree in '33, but Kathy makes it and both are pleasantly surprised. They try to play things a little cooler than before. Everett, now a veterinarian, drops references to the stock market crash and Lindbergh before she tells him that she was in love with him and he drops the bomb that he's now married; as, it turns out, is she.

The song switches to her perspective as she returns in '43 to set up a picnic, and he arrives in an Army captain's uniform. She tells him that her son is attending the camp, and he shares that he now has six kids and is serving in New Jersey as a Canine Guard trainer. He shows her pictures of his family, and she reveals that her geologist husband passed away, leaving her an oil field that he discovered.

A grayer Everett waits under the tree in '53 as Kathy arrives. He's still married and now running an animal hospital, and she's now twice widowed, with her son from her first marriage in and out of college. Topical references include the bomb, the Russians, and Kathy's second husband having died working on a moon rocket, a venture about which Everett expresses great skepticism.

A silver-haired Kathy is waiting in '63 as Everett arrives in the uniform of a scoutmaster for his grandson's troop. He reveals that he's now divorced, but it turns out that she's married again.

The elderly pair arrive at the same time in '73 in another slo-mo sequence of mutual attraction. They compare notes about his married grandson and her middle-aged son. He's still single, her third husband has passed, and their spot is scheduled to be turned into part of a subdivision. They express their love for one another and he proposes; following which the segment ends with flash backward through their previous meetings at the tree.

I have to wonder if the segments actually played in the order listed. This one would have been a striking note to end the series on.

In "Love and the Image Makers," political neophyte John Simpson (James Hampton) walks into the PR firm of Kipnis & Karatz (Gavin MacLeod and Michael Lerner), looking for help in running for mayor of Packerville. The PR men become interested when they learn how much money he's got to burn, and resolve to create a new image for Simpson. To this end they bring in their political expert, Max (William Hansen), a tailor who's worked for a number of governors and senators. While Max works on a suit, K&K coach him on developing a speaking style, then have him practice eating food of various ethnic origins while being photographed.

K&K attend as John appears on television for a debate against his opponent, councilwoman Joanne Myers (Anne Randall), moderated by Fritzi Burr. Simpson opens with a speech about the need to build new sewers. Myers deftly rebuffs his argument, accusing him of emotionalism and declaring that they need to repair the old sewers--"Make love, not sewers!" During a break, it turns out that they know each other from high school, and they become reacquainted. When John returns to the podium, he's clearly smitten, complimenting her personally and conceding points to her. She then returns the favor. During the next break they become interested in each other's availability and broach the subject of going out. For the final round, each has completely switched to the other's position, though they continue to debate.

Back in the office, Kipnis & Karatz are arguing over where they went wrong when John and Joanne drop in to reveal that they're married; and that they now consider the election to be a no-lose scenario, as one of them is going to win.

Karatz: Well, as a wise man once said, "Politics makes strange bedfellows."
Kipnis: And bedfellows make strange politicians.​

In "Love and Mr. Bunny," Earl and Janet (Larry Storch and Joyce Van Patten) check into a very small hotel room with a single twin bed (not brass). To make matters worse, Earl finds that Janet didn't pack his titularly themed alarm clock, without which he can't sleep. They call in the assistant manager (William Tregoe) to ask about getting another alarm clock, and it turns out that the manager's older brother also has a Mr. Bunny, while the manager has a Mr. Chicken. The manager expresses his sympathy for Earl having to go cold turkey. After he leaves, Janet helps Earl settle into bed, and at his insistence, she reluctantly agrees to imitate the clock's distinctive "tick-tick" noise to help him fall to sleep. While she's doing this, the manager returns with a box full of alarm clocks...and she keeps going the entire time until the manager leaves and she's sure that Earl's out. But then he's awoken by one of the clocks going off and resolves himself to being up for the night. She promises not to make fun of Mr. Bunny anymore, then starts talking about what she learned in college regarding the psychology of sleep, and finds him quickly out like a light. She then realizes that after twelve years, she can't sleep without the clock either, and resumes tick-ticking.

"Love and the Phobia" has Judith and Arthur (Arlene Golonka and Larry Kert) on their latest in a series of dates at a restaurant, where they drink coffee until the place closes but never proceed to another location. Judith explains that she has a titular psychological condition about men's apartments, which goes back to early childhood and which her mother continues to actively reinforce. On their next date, he tries to help her by adapting a method used for people with fear of flying, presenting her with a diorama of his apartment to familiarize her with the place...but she becomes upset at the suggestiveness of his descriptions and storms out. A waiter who's working his way through medical school and has become frustrated by their situation (Bo Kaprall) sits down to suggest an approach that worked for him in getting over his fear of flying...let Judith have the keys to his apartment and explore it by herself, without the pressure of him being there or anything happening. Cut to Judith hesitantly entering the apartment to be greeted by a recording of Arthur imitating a flight captain making an announcement. Then the waiter arrives at the door and we learn that it's all a scheme to gain access to other men's apartments, as he doesn't have his own place.

I didn't catch Judith's name being dropped, so I'm going by the IMDb listing...but they listed Arthur as Joe, even though his name was spoken several times.

_______

Star Trek
"The Jihad"
Originally aired January 12, 1974
Season finale
Wiki said:
The USS Enterprise arrives at the Vedala asteroid, where Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock have been summoned to learn about a stolen religious artifact, the "Soul of the Skorr", whose theft could ignite a galactic holy war.

Captain's log, stardate 5683.1: We're making a rendezvous with the Vedala asteroid on a unique mission. The Vedala are the oldest spacefaring race we know. They say something incredibly dangerous to the safety of our galaxy is developing, and they have sent for selected specialists, including Spock and myself.

Kirk and Spock beam down to the asteroid...
This all seems very RPG-ish. As we're a bit early for that to be a thing, I have to assume that the predecessor would be LOTR knockoff novels. Tchar and Sord are voiced by you-know-who; Em/3/Green is uncredited David Gerrold; and Lara and the Vedala female are uncredited Jane Webb. Apparently the Vedala female transports them to the planet somehow, which is abrupt and confusing. The quest party has a wheeled vehicle with a tracking device that malfunctions on them, so they depend on the skills of Lara, who comes on to Kirk in a very brusque manner.

The party soon finds itself endangered by the byproduct of an erupting volcano...
Em wants to call it quits after that, but they have Sord carry him along. Sord thinks he's seen a life form, which contradicts the Vedalan's claim of no life on the planet. The party then locates a Skorr temple. While Em works on a lock rigged to explode, the party is attacked by Obligatory Filmation Shrieking Winged Creatures, which turn out to be artificial when shot. One of them carries off Tchar. The rest of the party gets in and sees the Soul confined in an energy field on a ledge, which they climb up to. They're blocked by a blast from above shooting the section of ledge before them, confirming Kirk's suspicion that one of the party is a saboteur--Tchar, who reveals himself and declares that he wants to restore his people to their warrior ways. Tchar neutralizes gravity, causing the party to float so they can fight him in the air. Kirk and Spock use moves they know from null-gravity combat exercises to subdue Tchar, and Kirk has Lara call for the party's retrieval with the Soul.

The Vedalan promises to have Tchar treated for his insanity and sends the members of the party back whence they came. Somehow the Vedala female causes Kirk and Spock to seem to return only a couple of minutes after they left, to better keep the purpose of the meeting a secret.

This one was pretty confusing. The visuals often didn't clearly convey what was going on, important plot points depended on leaps in logic, and there was a little too much to unpack with the various aliens' abilities and motives. Going by some of the IMDb reviews, apparently I'm not alone.

_______

Emergency!
"Messin' Around"
Wiki and Frndly said:
Chet, adopting a persona he calls "The Phantom Bomber," nails Johnny with a number of practical jokes. The paramedics are summoned when a chronic complainer who visits the hospital daily collapses at home; and when a child swallows ant poison.

While Johnny's taking a personal call in the dorm, Chet sets up a bag of water to fall on him when he returns to the kitchen, all in front of the other firefighters and while announcing his pseudonym. Immediately after, the station is called to a tree fire on a dusty rural road. While they're starting to put it out, the firefighters are approached first by the man who put in the call, then by a distraught woman (Ann Prentiss) who says that her daughter has a house in the blazing tree. Johnny climbs up into the structure, puts his hat on the frightened girl, Cindy (Tammy Harrington), and climbs back down with her on his shoulders...earning a hug from the mother. At Rampart, Cindy is chatted up and entertained by a gentleman known as Old Bill (J. Pat O'Malley), who's believed to be a hypochondriac as a front for hanging around the hospital and reading to the kids. Bill lets Johnny know of the perceived interest Cindy's mother has in the paramedic and that she's a widow. In the exam room, Cindy's mother arranges to visit the station later, under the impression that Johnny's a bigger deal in the operation than he is. Meanwhile, Early politely declines to give Bill an exam for the latest pain he's complaining of.

Back at the station, another water prank is sprung on Johnny when the station gets a call to an unknown-type rescue. The woman who answers the door (Joan Shawlee) is surprised to see the fire department, but tells them that her husband (Paul Bryar) has been sick in bed. It turns out that he called them in a panic because she put sap in his medicine to rob him of his voice so he'd stop complaining. Dix is able to confirm that the type of sap is otherwise harmless and its effect should wear off in a couple of hours.

The engine having been reassigned to a dumpster fire at a service station, the squad is afterward assigned to meet up with them because Captain Stanley noticed the proprietor, Gus (Karl Swenson), exhibiting symptoms of a malady. Gus tries to blow it off as indigestion, but Brackett remotely diagnoses an ulcer...and convinces Gus to come in for treatment via a brief, stern lecture over the biophone speaker. At Rampart, Brackett expresses an interest in examining Bill, who's been entertaining kids, when he's called away to see to Gus, who gets more sympathetic treatment for his cooperation.

At the station, Johnny cautiously insists on having Chet open his locker for him, but the water prank is aimed to hit Johnny while he stands aside. After Johnny changes, Cindy and her mother arrive, and Johnny has to explain that his office is the squad truck. Cindy opens a fire coat closet, which springs yet another trap on Johnny. The station is then called to a man down in a modest suburban home, who turns out to be Old Bill, who expresses his surprise that this time it's for real. Brackett diagnoses septic shock, the symptoms of which are general enough that they resembled his usual false complaints.

As the paramedics are returning to the station, Chet is setting another trap in a kitchen cabinet, but Johnny doesn't have a chance to trigger it before the squad is called to tend to a child who's swallowed ant poison at a nicer-looking suburban home. The mother, Mrs. Wheeler (Carol Lawson), insists that it's the lastest of her son's (Lance Kerwin) attention-seeking false alarms, despite his writhing in pain inside. Officer Vince arrives to insist that she let the paramedics in, following which she's horrified to realize that it's serious this time as they treat him. The boy goes into respiratory arrest in the ambulance, where he's tended to by Johnny. At Rampart, Roy has to break it to Mrs. Wheeler that Brackett wasn't able to save her son. Back at the station, Chet prevents Johnny from opening the cabinet, knowing what just happened.

At Rampart, it's determined that Bill's septic shock was brought on by bone disease, which has been caught in time and will give him a legitimate excuse for his routine visits to the hospital. Meanwhile, the station is called to a dump where a bulldozer has fallen down a small cliff onto an occupied dump truck. While Roy tends to the broken leg of the bulldozer driver, the firefighters use the jaws to rescue the truck driver from his vehicle's crushed cab, only to learn that the man's partner was in back of the truck. The firefighters proceed to dig through the pile of debris that the truck had been carrying to find the third man, whom they've gotten to in time to stabilize and take to Rampart with the other two.

Either there's no coda to update us, or a really sloppily placed Frndly ad was completely plastered over it.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"Cottage for Sale"
Wiki said:
Phyllis gets her real estate license and targets a reluctant Lou as her first client.

Phyllis drops in during dinner to inform Mary and Rhoda that she just got her license, and broaches the subject of using friends as contacts. Mary uncharacteristically puts her foot down that Phyllis shouldn't come to WJM to solicit her coworkers. When Phyllis picks up the latest of a series of obscene phone calls that Mary's been receiving, she tries to sell to the person on the other end. At the station, the newsroom has been robbed...

Mary: I just don't understand. What kind of people steal things from other people?
Lou: Burglars, Mary.​

Lou references his high school football picture when he speculates why his office wasn't burgled. Phyllis drops in against Mary's advice and offers to sell his house for $50,000. While Lou is initially skeptical, he drops by Mary's later to take Phyllis up on her offer. Phyllis histrionically expresses her wonder that somebody actually wants to do business with her.

Phyllis drops by the newsroom again to hit up the others for business, and scoffs when Lou repeats the price that she offered to sell his house for. Mary drops by Lou's on Saturday morning to do some off-hours work, for which he makes her breakfast, including beer-flavored omelets that Mary mistakes for scrambled eggs. Ted also drops in, claiming he's interested in buying the house for his mother. Phyllis comes to show the house to a young couple, Rena and David Russell (Michele Nichols and David Haskell). She's now asking for $42,500, but when Lou insists on the original price, David readily agrees. After Phyllis and her clients leave, Lou falls into depression.

As the movers clear the place out, Lou reminisces about his home, then starts to blame Mary, who's the only one helping him pack. When Phyllis drops in, Lou's outspoken about his attachment to the place and the memories that it contains. When Phyllis tries to get him to sign the papers (which you'd think would have preceded moving), Mary encourages Lou not to. Lou confuses a moving man when he tells him to start putting things back. As Lou and Mary are getting the house back in order, Phyllis comes back to inform Lou that he's still legally obligated to pay her commission.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"The Modernization of Emily"
Wiki said:
Shaken after meeting a former student who's all grown up, Emily tries to recapture her youth with an embarrassing new wardrobe.

The Hartleys are at a grocery store buying items for an anniversary dinner and find Mrs. Bakerman working at the register. Her box boy, Roy Parkers (Billy Miller), recognizes Emily as his third-grade teacher from ten years prior, addressing her by her maiden name. At home after dinner, when Emily notes how they keep eating their anniversary dinners earlier each year (implying that they were too busy to get around to it for diminishing amounts of time in the previous years), we learn that it's their fifth, which I think slightly overshoots some other references. Emily's disappointed when Bob's present to her turns out to be a blender (though her present to him is silk pajamas, which doesn't seem that much more personal). Howard drops in with champagne and makes a comment about age that upsets Emily enough that she runs into the bathroom. After expressing his trepidation to Jerry about how Emily will deal with whatever's bothering her, Bob comes home to find her sporting an unbecomingly youthful outfit and longer hairstyle that I assume must be a wig or extension. Bob is direct about how stupid he thinks it looks.

When Jerry tries to encourage Bob to dress younger to match, Bob notes that he'd have to dress like Donny Osmond. Emily's still sporting her new look when guests arrive for an anniversary party. Howard brings over a girlfriend, a younger schoolteacher named Rosalie Shaeffer (Sharon Gless), who's surprised that Emily seems younger than she'd been led to believe. Jerry and Carol also bring presents. Everyone gives Emily gag gifts, though Carol is embarrassed because her "tacky" gift--as specified in the card--is the exact garish T-shirt that Emily is wearing...which sobers Emily up. As the Hartleys are getting ready for bed (Emily's hair now back to normal), Bob shares an anecdote about how he tried to change his image as a teenager by subscribing to the Charles Atlas course and bleaching his hair...the message being that you have to be yourself. In the coda, Emily rubs in Bob's gift by suggesting that they spend a wild evening using the blender.

_______

That's true. It never struck me before how odd that is. I guess suicide is rare in paradise.
Not as rare as it should be when you've got twenty-four major cases a year to write.

You'd think a wire or video would be better evidence. I'm not sure how marking the bills would make a difference unless they wanted to trace what he did with the money afterwards.
It's marked to prove that it's the money he took from Anderson, which he could otherwise deny.

His Ironsense was tingling. :mallory:
:D

Last edited:
Series finale
:wah:

Bobby Riggs returns to TV comedy with "Love and the Competitors," and this time the female tennis competitor he brings with him is Rosemary Casals.
Weird, but kind of cool how they have a sense of humor about their politics.

(Lester's fellow former Green Acres regular Pat Buttram)
He cracks me up just by existing. :rommie:

they decide to have a kissing contest and a mutual attraction sparks between them.
If they decided to have a kissing contest, I suspect there were sparks before the show even opened. :rommie:

In the morning, it turns out that the drunk is the judge. He sentences each to 30 days, and they get into a competition of haggling their sentences up.
He doesn't marry them? Missed opportunity there, LAS.

Bobby's acting chops didn't impress me as much here as on The Odd Couple; both tennis players were about equally unseasoned in their acting abilities, whereas Riggs could clearly outact King.
Maybe he was, ironically, less competitive with Casals.

Kathy and Everett (Elaine Joyce and Robert Morse)
Love her, don't love him.

They express their love for one another and he proposes; following which the segment ends with flash backward through their previous meetings at the tree.
I think they basically just recreated The Way We Were. :rommie:

I have to wonder if the segments actually played in the order listed. This one would have been a striking note to end the series on.
Good point. Although I wonder if they even knew the show was canceled when the episode was produced.

Kipnis & Karatz (Gavin MacLeod and Michael Lerner)
Captain Stubing and... I almost said Mrs Walton, but caught myself. :rommie:

"Make love, not sewers!"
This slogan can apply to almost anything.
Sly.gif

For the final round, each has completely switched to the other's position, though they continue to debate.
Some cute, subtle commentary there.

they now consider the election to be a no-lose scenario, as one of them is going to win.
Yeah, wait'll the honeymoon is over. Then it will matter who won. :rommie:

Karatz: Well, as a wise man once said, "Politics makes strange bedfellows."
Kipnis: And bedfellows make strange politicians.​

Earl and Janet (Larry Storch and Joyce Van Patten)
Agarn and a popular character actor.

a single twin bed (not brass)
Don't tell me they've pawned it already!

it turns out that the manager's older brother also has a Mr. Bunny, while the manager has a Mr. Chicken. The manager expresses his sympathy for Earl having to go cold turkey.
I'm guessing these are addictive mind-control devices being distributed as a prelude to an alien invasion.

She then realizes that after twelve years, she can't sleep without the clock either, and resumes tick-ticking.
Fairly cute, probably more entertaining because of the cast.

Judith and Arthur (Arlene Golonka and Larry Kert)
Love her, don't know him.

Then the waiter arrives at the door and we learn that it's all a scheme to gain access to other men's apartments, as he doesn't have his own place.
Nice twist, but talk about an unlikely long con. They definitely should have switched up the order of the stories to end on a stronger note.

This all seems very RPG-ish. As we're a bit early for that to be a thing, I have to assume that the predecessor would be LOTR knockoff novels.
I think it was about this time that RPGs were first published, but I think they had been a thing among college kids for a while. I wonder if David Gerrold was involved in the writing, because it sounds like something he would bring to the table.

Tchar and Sord are voiced by you-know-who
Are Scotty, Uhura, and Sulu even in the episode? They seem to be scarce of late.

The Vedalan promises to have Tchar treated for his insanity and sends the members of the party back whence they came.
Interesting that religion is treated as a good thing, although there are some parallels to Vulcan history.

Chet sets up a bag of water to fall on him when he returns to the kitchen, all in front of the other firefighters and while announcing his pseudonym.
Chet needs some therapy, I think.

Old Bill (J. Pat O'Malley)
Omnipresent Old Man.

under the impression that Johnny's a bigger deal in the operation than he is
Defying death to save strangers is a pretty big deal.

It turns out that he called them in a panic because she put sap in his medicine to rob him of his voice so he'd stop complaining.
So how'd he call? :rommie:

Dix is able to confirm that the type of sap is otherwise harmless and its effect should wear off in a couple of hours.
"I use it on patients all the time!"

Brackett remotely diagnoses an ulcer...and convinces Gus to come in for treatment via a brief, stern lecture over the biophone speaker.
Brackett must be obeyed, even remotely.

The station is then called to a man down in a modest suburban home, who turns out to be Old Bill, who expresses his surprise that this time it's for real.
Squad 51 will come no matter how many times you cry wolf. :rommie:

her son's (Lance Kerwin)
James at 16. How does my brain even know that?

At Rampart, Roy has to break it to Mrs. Wheeler that Brackett wasn't able to save her son.
Damn.

Back at the station, Chet prevents Johnny from opening the cabinet, knowing what just happened.
Nice touch. Kind of justifies the practical joking subplot.

Bill's septic shock was brought on by bone disease, which has been caught in time
The kid dies and the old man lives. I wonder if that was intentional irony.

When Phyllis picks up the latest of a series of obscene phone calls that Mary's been receiving, she tries to sell to the person on the other end.
That'll fix him. :rommie:

Mary: I just don't understand. What kind of people steal things from other people?
Lou: Burglars, Mary.​

Phyllis drops in against Mary's advice and offers to sell his house for $50,000.
I'll take it.

he makes her breakfast, including beer-flavored omelets that Mary mistakes for scrambled eggs.
The focus of the plot should have been getting Meals-on-Wheels for Lou.

After Phyllis and her clients leave, Lou falls into depression.
Stop eating alcoholic omelets, Lou.

Lou's outspoken about his attachment to the place and the memories that it contains.
He should get a roommate. Some neatnik who will keep the place all tidy.

"The Modernization of Emily"
Derived from a movie, The Americanization of Emily, from around that time.

we learn that it's their fifth, which I think slightly overshoots some other references.
They are kind of an odd couple.

(though her present to him is silk pajamas, which doesn't seem that much more personal).
Sexy silk pajamas.
Sly.gif

Howard drops in with champagne and makes a comment about age that upsets Emily enough that she runs into the bathroom.
Hmmm....

Rosalie Shaeffer (Sharon Gless)
Switch, Cagney & Lacey.

Bob shares an anecdote about how he tried to change his image as a teenager by subscribing to the Charles Atlas course and bleaching his hair...the message being that you have to be yourself.
She's only in her 30s. :rommie:

Not as rare as it should be when you've got twenty-four major cases a year to write.
Good thing the writers didn't jump.

It's marked to prove that it's the money he took from Anderson, which he could otherwise deny.
They arrested him as soon as it changed hands. But I suppose the original plan went off the rails in the restaurant. I hope they collect more solid evidence by the time they go to court. :rommie:

Back