The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Jake and Corky are also said to have met in '35 (implicitly in the Tigers), and there's a reference to them having still been flying in "the war" the previous December.

I'm sure I could come up with a justification, and build a story around it, if I studied up on the Tigers, but I'd love to know how this came to be, especially if the writers referenced "the war."

Having not watched an episode, I can only speculate that it's possible that "the war" that is being discussed is the Second Sino-Japanese war, which officially started in 1937, but there had been minor skirmishes between the two nations going back to 1931. While it's not known if any Americans fought with/for the Chinese at this time, there were probably independant operators who might have smuggled materials to the Chinese.

The first Zero's went into combat in July 1940, during the Sino-Japanese war, replacing its predecessor the 'Claude'. The 'Claude' was the world's first mono-wing fighter and looks similar to the Zero. Maybe the writers were trying to keep things simple and lumped the Claude and the Zero together, see as the Zero is more famous than its predecessor.

Last edited:
One of my favorite scenes:

:rommie:
That vaguely rings a bell.

Special effects have certainly changed in forty years. :rommie:
Or just twenty-ish...that's 2006-vintage CGI.

Having not watched an episode, I can only speculate that it's possible that "the war" that is being discussed is the Second Sino-Japanese war, which officially started in 1937, but there had been minor skirmishes between the two nations going back to 1931. While it's not known if any Americans fought with/for the Chinese at this time, there were probably independant operators who might have smuggled materials to the Chinese.

The first Zero's went into combat in July 1940, during the Sino-Japanese war, replacing its predecessor the 'Claude'. The 'Claude' was the world's first mono-wing fighter and looks similar to the Zero. Maybe the writers were trying to keep things simple and lumped the Claude and the Zero together, see as the Zero is more famous than its predecessor.
The key element of the anachronisms is that two of the main characters formerly served in the Flying Tigers...an American volunteer fighter group with a specific history, which includes having served in China in '41-'42; while the show takes place in '38.

Those are the lines that I was thinking along. Or else a secret, IMF-style task force provided by the US government.

Or just twenty-ish...that's 2006-vintage CGI.
Very nice. Especially since it was probably done on a low budget.

The key element of the anachronisms is that two of the main characters formerly served in the Flying Tigers...an American volunteer fighter group with a specific history, which includes having served in China in '41-'42; while the show takes place in '38.
It's an alternate universe, that's all there is to it. The main thing is to get it to fit as snugly as possible with the main timeline. Either an independent mercenary group or a secret government task force that was either revived or revealed in 1941 is probably the way to go.

50 Years Ago This Week

January 6
  • In response to the oil crisis, at 2 a.m. the United States began a trial period of year-round daylight saving time for the first time since World War II. The change had been enacted by the U.S. Congress and was intended to run through 2 a.m. on April 27, 1975. Clocks which had been set back an hour across the U.S., less than three months earlier, were set ahead an hour. The act would later be amended to return to standard time for four months from October 1974 to February 1975.
  • CBS Radio Mystery Theater, hosted by E. G. Marshall, premiered on 218 stations affiliated with the CBS Radio Network, in an attempt to revive radio dramas that had been popular in the U.S. prior to the introduction of television. The show would last for eight seasons until going off the air on February 1, 1982. The first episode, "The Old Ones Are Hard to Kill", starred film and TV star Agnes Moorehead.

January 7
  • Gasoline rationing began in Sweden, with private vehicles limited to only 100 liters (26 U.S. gallons) of gas for the 53 days between January 7 and February 28, as Sweden became the first Western European nation to begin rationing.
  • The "Gombe Chimpanzee War" broke out in Tanzania's Gombe Stream National Park between two groups of Eastern chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) that primatologist Jane Goodall had studied since 1960. A group of eight male primates, dubbed by Goodall as the Kahama community, had broken away from the Kasakela chimpanzee community. Eight Kasakela males attacked and killed the Kahama male "Godi", beginning a four-year-long "war" between the two groups.

January 8
  • Delegates to a meeting of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) made a major change in the rules of amateur athletics, amending the NCAA rules to allow athletes to receive money to play as professionals in one sport and to play at the college level in other sports. The resolution, requiring two-thirds approval, passed by four votes, 258 to 123.

January 9
  • Representatives of the 12 member nations of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) concluded their three-day meeting in Switzerland at Geneva and voted for a three-month freeze on oil prices. Saudi Arabia had been willing to reduce crude oil prices but faced opposition from Algeria, Iraq and Iran.

January 10
  • The crew of Skylab 4 was granted a day off. Edward Gibson spent most of the day conducting solar observations using the station's coronagraph, while Gerald Carr and William Pogue relaxed.
  • As part of its Operation Arbor nuclear test series at the Nevada Test Site, the U.S. carried out three simultaneous nuclear explosions at the same site.
  • Died: Richard F. Cleveland, 76, American lawyer, son of U.S. President Grover Cleveland, known as investigator for the Alger Hiss case

January 11
  • The first surviving sextuplets in recorded human history—David, Elizabeth, Emma, Grant, Jason and Nicolette Rosenkowitz—were born in South Africa to 25-year-old Susan Rosenkowitz at the Mowbray Maternity Hospital in Cape Town.

January 12
  • Gasoline rationing began in the Netherlands, as residents were limited to 60 liters (less than 16 U.S. gallons) of gasoline for a month. The Dutch government ended the rationing eight days early, ending on February 4.
  • Television was introduced in the African nation of Tanzania as TVZ (Television Zanzibar) was inaugurated in a ceremony by Zanzibar's President Aboud Jumbe.
  • Died: Lady Patricia Ramsay, 87, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, who renounced her royal title of Princess Patricia of Connaught in 1919 in order to marry a commoner

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
2. "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce
3. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
4. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station
5. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
6. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
7. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White
8. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
9. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
10. "Helen Wheels," Paul McCartney & Wings
11. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
12. "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich
13. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
14. "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," Helen Reddy
15. "When I Fall in Love" / "Are You Lonesome Tonight", Donny Osmond
16. "Me and Baby Brother," War
17. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
18. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," Elton John
19. "Top of the World," Carpenters
20. "Hello It's Me," Todd Rundgren
21. "Livin' for You," Al Green
22. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
23. "Walk Like a Man (You Can Call Me Your Man)," Grand Funk
24. "If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)," The Staple Singers
25. "Sister Mary Elephant (Shudd-Up!)," Cheech & Chong
26. "Just You 'n' Me," Chicago
27. "Rockin' Roll Baby," The Stylistics
28. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
29. "Mind Games," John Lennon
30. "D'yer Mak'er," Led Zeppelin
31. "My Music," Loggins & Messina

33. "Americans," Byron MacGregor

35. "American Tune," Paul Simon
36. "Joy, Pt. 1," Isaac Hayes

38. "Let Your Hair Down," The Temptations
39. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
40. "Rock On," David Essex
41. "I Love," Tom T. Hall

43. "The Love I Lost (Pt. 1)," Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
44. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman
45. "Photograph," Ringo Starr

48. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
49. "Come Get to This," Marvin Gaye
50. "Love Song," Anne Murray

52. "I Got a Name," Jim Croce

56. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross

58. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
59. "Space Race," Billy Preston

62. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks

75. "Raised on Robbery," Joni Mitchell
76. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung

78. "Let Me Serenade You," Three Dog Night

83. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
84. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
85. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone

90. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades

92. "Last Kiss," J. Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers

99. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
100. "Sexy Mama," The Moments

Leaving the chart:
  • "Midnight Train to Georgia," Gladys Knight & The Pips (19 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
(Jan. 5; #17 US; #7 AC)

"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
(#15 US)

"Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
(#9 US; #8 AC)

"Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
(#5 US; #75 R&B)

"Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
(#1 US the weeks of Mar. 2 through 16, 1974; #1 AC; #1 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Hawaii Five-O, "One Born Every Minute"
  • Adam-12, "The Sweet Smell..."
  • Kung Fu, "Empty Pages of a Dead Book"
  • Ironside, "Two Hundred Large"
  • The Brady Bunch, "The Driver's Seat"
  • The Odd Couple, "Cleanliness Is Next to Impossible"
  • Love, American Style, "Love and the Competitors / Love and the Forever Tree / Love and the Image Makers / Love and Mr. Bunny / Love and the Phobia" (series finale)
  • Star Trek, "The Jihad" (season finale)
  • All in the Family, "Archie Feels Left Out"
  • M*A*S*H, "For Want of a Boot"
  • Emergency!, "Messin' Around"
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Cottage for Sale"
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "The Modernization of Emily"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

Or else a secret, IMF-style task force provided by the US government.
How do you have top secret fighter battles against a major world power?

Very nice. Especially since it was probably done on a low budget.
It strikes me as being pretty video game-ish by modern movie/TV standards. But it's a fun show. I just discovered that the History YT account has more or less the whole series available, including episodes that I haven't seen.

It's an alternate universe, that's all there is to it. The main thing is to get it to fit as snugly as possible with the main timeline. Either an independent mercenary group or a secret government task force that was either revived or revealed in 1941 is probably the way to go.
They can't even seem to keep the show's internal timeline straight. The third episode made a direct reference to something that apparently happened while they were running the Goose in 1934. So while they haven't said so directly one way or the other, they apparently didn't meet in the Tigers, but were already operating the Goose, then recently fought in China with the Tigers, and are now operating the Goose again, which seems messy. Plus, the previous episode said that Jake met Corky in '35.

Somewhere out there is at least one dedicated TOTGM fan who's put together a chronology of Jake and Corky's adventures prior to the show based on the references dropped in the series.

Last edited:
CBS Radio Mystery Theater, hosted by E. G. Marshall, premiered on 218 stations affiliated with the CBS Radio Network, in an attempt to revive radio dramas that had been popular in the U.S. prior to the introduction of television.
Ah, I loved this. I had always had a fascination with OTR and Pulps, thanks to the tales of my Uncles and Mother, so I found it to be pretty cool. It was on at 10pm, so I would take my radio to bed and listen in the dark-- and, as often as not, fall asleep before it was over. :rommie:

The "Gombe Chimpanzee War" broke out in Tanzania's Gombe Stream National Park between two groups of Eastern chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) that primatologist Jane Goodall had studied since 1960.
This really broke Goodall's heart.

The crew of Skylab 4 was granted a day off. Edward Gibson spent most of the day conducting solar observations using the station's coronagraph, while Gerald Carr and William Pogue relaxed.
This might have been the time they went on strike, which resulted in NASA rethinking how they scheduled astronauts' time on long missions.

"My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
I have no recollection of this at all. It's nice enough.

"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
Not their best, but good.

"Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
Wow, it's probably been close to fifty years since I've heard this. It's okay, but that was quite a rush of nostalgia. :rommie:

"Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
This is a goodie.

Here's a 70s classic. Very sad song.

How do you have top secret fighter battles against a major world power?
I suppose it being the 1930s would help. Plus using volunteers who are not officially US military. Plus the secretary would disavow all knowledge. Plus it's the Pulp Fiction Universe. :D

They can't even seem to keep the show's internal timeline straight.
That's a possible answer: They could have been deliberately playing with dates and events.

So while they haven't said so directly one way or the other, they apparently didn't meet in the Tigers, but were already operating the Goose, then recently fought in China with the Tigers, and are now operating the Goose again, which seems messy.
It is kind of a challenge.

Somewhere out there is at least one dedicated TOTGM fan who's put together a chronology of Jake and Corky's adventures prior to the show based on the references dropped in the series.
Weirdly, there have been no books written on the show (although there was a magazine or comic book in England that survived the show for a while). Maybe there's info in the commentaries or documentary on the DVD set-- unfortunately most of my DVDs are in my storage cave now. I'll see what I can find out.

I found this Tales of the Gold Monkey fan site, which seems not to have been updated in a while (I actually remember seeing it before at some point). I just skimmed it, but it doesn't seem to clarify if the Flying Tigers thing was a mistake or a deliberate anachronism. It does have timelines for the show and the individual characters, though.

What's probably not known is that it is an English translation of a 1961 Belgian song 'Le Moribond'.

It was translated into English by Rod McKuen and first recorded in 1964 by The Kingston Trio. Terry Jacks heard this version and rewrote/amended the lyrics slightly. Terry then offered the song to The Beach Boys during the recording sessions for the 'Sunflower'/'Surf's Up' sessions. Various reasons have been offered as to why the song was never completed, the most common is that The Beach Boys weren't that interested in the subject matter.

It certainly sounds like Carl is bored out of his mind while singing it and it feels lacking in the instrumentation and backing vocals. The song would remain in the vaults until The Beach Boys 2021 boxt set 'Feel Flows'.

Gasoline rationing began in Sweden, with private vehicles limited to only 100 liters (26 U.S. gallons) of gas for the 53 days between January 7 and February 28, as Sweden became the first Western European nation to begin rationing.

Gasoline rationing began in the Netherlands, as residents were limited to 60 liters (less than 16 U.S. gallons) of gasoline for a month. The Dutch government ended the rationing eight days early, ending on February 4.

What's probably less known is that it was 'The Year of the Vinyl Shortage' as the petrochemicals used in the making of vinyl records was in short supply. Record plants went from operating five days a week to two-three days a week. Artists were cut from labels, less vinyl was pressed and prices were raised. Cassette and eight track gained in popularity because of this.

I have no recollection of this at all. It's nice enough.
New to me, pretty indistinct. I might get it if it's available.

Not their best, but good.
An enjoyable minor classic from this era.

Wow, it's probably been close to fifty years since I've heard this. It's okay, but that was quite a rush of nostalgia. :rommie:
Also new to me...it's got kind of a late '60s sound to my ear. This was the English language version of a song originally written and recorded in Spanish.

This is a goodie.
Oldies radio classic with an MCU connection.

I'd previously skipped this, but am planning to get it.

I found this Tales of the Gold Monkey fan site, which seems not to have been updated in a while (I actually remember seeing it before at some point). I just skimmed it, but it doesn't seem to clarify if the Flying Tigers thing was a mistake or a deliberate anachronism. It does have timelines for the show and the individual characters, though.
The series bible portion helps immensely to clarify the show's internal timeline. It says that Jake and Corky originally worked together for an airline starting in '33; went to war in '37; then got the Goose. That makes sense of most of the date references made on the show thus far. The odd disagreeing date, like saying that Jake and Corky met in '35 in the second episode, can be dismissed as a continuity error.

It's kind of understandable why somebody might have thought there was a Flying Tigers in '37. That's the year that Claire Chennault went to China to try to help them get their air force up to snuff for fighting the Japanese, which was ultimately unsuccessful, leading to the formation of the AVG in '41.

What's probably less known is that it was 'The Year of the Vinyl Shortage' as the petrochemicals used in the making of vinyl records was in short supply. Record plants went from operating five days a week to two-three days a week. Artists were cut from labels, less vinyl was pressed and prices were raised. Cassette and eight track gained in popularity because of this.
Another piece of the Eight-Track Saga falls into place...

This song saw a bit of resurregence in popularity after appearing in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1'.
That's cool. I've never seen any of those Guardians movies.

What's probably not known is that it is an English translation of a 1961 Belgian song 'Le Moribond'.
That's actually something I did know, thanks to one of the WRKO DJs mentioning it when the song was new.

It was translated into English by Rod McKuen and first recorded in 1964 by The Kingston Trio.
However I did not know about the Kingston Trio version.

It certainly sounds like Carl is bored out of his mind while singing it and it feels lacking in the instrumentation and backing vocals. The song would remain in the vaults until The Beach Boys 2021 boxt set 'Feel Flows'.
Nor did I know about this. It's definitely lacking compared to the Terry Jacks version. His version somehow captures the surreal dread of approaching death.

Artists were cut from labels, less vinyl was pressed and prices were raised.
Wow, I never knew that musical careers were affected by the rationing. That's amazing, and sad.

The series bible portion helps immensely to clarify the show's internal timeline. It says that Jake and Corky originally worked together for an airline starting in '33; went to war in '37; then got the Goose. That makes sense of most of the date references made on the show thus far. The odd disagreeing date, like saying that Jake and Corky met in '35 in the second episode, can be dismissed as a continuity error.
Characters can misspeak. "Oh, did I say 35? I meant 33." :rommie:

It's kind of understandable why somebody might have thought there was a Flying Tigers in '37. That's the year that Claire Chennault went to China to try to help them get their air force up to snuff for fighting the Japanese, which was ultimately unsuccessful, leading to the formation of the AVG in '41.
Providing a good framework for a "secret origins" tale, justifying Jake's Flying Tigers status.

In a moment of synchronicity, the reaction show I follow on YouTube covered this song as I was reading this post.
Maybe they also look at anniversary dates. What was their reaction?

Maybe they also look at anniversary dates. What was their reaction?
Well, it was an older entry so probably not. Both reactors liked it, the woman liked it more. He prefer "louder" songs and focuss more on instruments than lyrics.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"The Banzai Pipeline"
Originally aired January 1, 1974
Wiki said:
The Banzai Pipeline surfing beach is the setting for a murder.

Oswald Greggs (Bob Basso) arranges for his man Andy Koa (Rudy Diaz) to rendezvous with on-the-take zoning commissioner Eddie Huffman (if it were that John Lennon, I'd be squeeing) at a beach, allegedly for a payoff, but actually for a stabbing, as Manicote is about to indict Huffman. Nearby, amateur filmmaker Rick McDivitt (Perry King) is filming the surfing of his brother, Roger (pre-radioactive spider Nicholas Hammond), for a documentary, and takes an interest when he sees the wallet that Huffman left in his car, but hides when Koa drives up. While Koa's doing the stabbing, Rick obliviously takes the wallet and screeches out in his station wagon. Koa tries to flag him down, and afterward finds a film canister that Rick dropped. Manicote's having a la-de-da meeting with the Governor about the case when McGarrett calls to inform him that Huffman's body's been found. Five-O takes interest that Huffman had packed bags in the trunk and an airline ticket, indicating that he knew about the pending indictment; and that his wallet wasn't found, but his ring and watch weren't stolen. Meanwhile, Roger learns about the wallet after Rick uses the dough to pay their film processor, George Bole (Terry Plunkett), part of his fee. Five-O narrows down Koa, who's reported the incident to Greggs, as a likely hitman for Greggs to use. When Five-O comes for Koa, he manages to TV Fu Danno, but finds in the hall that he's brought a knife to a Ben fight.

As Koa's girlfriend (Elissa Dulce) calls to inform Greggs, he and his right-hand-man, Cass Tanner (Jack Hogan), are studying the film for clues about who took it--including Rick's wheels, distinctively adorned with a motto; surfside pad with a sign; and a shot of Roger. Motivated to raise more money to process film of some impending bitchin' waves, Rick uses Huffman's credit card to buy and fence valuable items, which gives Five-O a line on the wallet, but also causes them to loosen their grip on Koa, who seems like a less likely suspect despite blood of Huffman's type having been found in a difficult-to-clean area of his knife. Five-O is promptly alerted by the credit bureau when a camera store proprietor has to call the card in manually. Rick panics and splits before they get there, but they identify him via the DMV...even as Tanner luckily spots and tails the station wagon.

Rick clears his conscience by cutting up the card and resolving to compensate the owner with the proceeds of his film. Not finding Rick home, Five-O heads for the titular nearby surfing spot...where Rick is filming Roger when Tanner shoots the surfer from the grassy dune with a rifle...then takes out both brothers when a winged Roger hobbles to shore. Tanner not usually being the type to get his own hands dirty, both McDivitt's are found still alive. Rick spills all to McGarrett as he's being prepped for surgery at the hospital. Neither brother makes it. Five-O examines the roll that Rick was filming and spot Tanner with the murder weapon.

Five-O swoops into Tanner's housing development lair and blows out his tire, which inadvertently causes him to drive partway up a rise, resulting in the car turning over and rolling down. Greggs is found dead in the car, but Tanner is pulled out for booking before the vehicle meets its obligatory end.

_______

Ironside
"Friend or Foe"
Originally aired January 3, 1974
Wiki said:
A detective friend of Ironside's is suspected of taking heroin that was evidence.

Lt. Reese carries a box of heroin to court as evidence, and reports to the Chief afterward that his bust of a figure named Delaney (Byron Morrow) was tossed out for lack of probable cause. In a subsequent parking garage rendezvous, a swarm of ants working on the box leads the Chief and Reese to find that the heroin was replaced with malt sugar. The duo proceed to check the records of the box having been checked in and out of the evidence room by Sgt. Don Borden (Sandy Ward), discovering that the package had to have been switched between when Borden checked it out and rendezvoused with Reese prior to the trial; and Reese can't believe that Borden would be crooked. They call Borden to return to town from his cabin in Tahoe and learn later from Mark that he was killed in an accident, the area having been experiencing a severe storm.

Vigilant for word on the street about the actual five pounds of heroin going on the market, Ed checks with a junkie named Cindy (Maria O'Brien), picking up indication that she's looking forward to a big fix; then with a former jockey turned dope dealer named Jimmy Slick (Jack Grimes), who also indicates that a big supply is anticipated. Fran learns that Borden bought a boat after cashing a check for $3,000. And Mark finds no sign of the heroin at Borden's cabin. Word of the missing dope having gotten in the papers, Randall suspends Reese.

Carl visits and questions Borden's widow, Helen (Jean Allison), who didn't know about the boat and accuses Reese of trying to clear himself by implicating Don. Ed checks with another junkie, Tommy (Kenneth O'Brien), who's also waiting for a big fix. A parking stub in Borden's wrecked car leads Fran to an investment company where she learns that Borden had been putting away money for years, and that the $3,000 was an advance from them. Ed goes to a bar looking for Jimmy Slick and finds Reese leaving a booth occupied by Delaney. Carl tells the Chief that he was trying to maneuver Delaney into revealing information. Randall informs the Chief and Carl that the D.A. is looking to indict Reese, who's in debt from his wife being in the hospital.

The Chief and Reese check with Officer Mannings (Harvey Fisher) in the police parking garage to learn that Borden got a ride from a uniformed officer named Reagan after picking up the package (which we saw in the opening scene). They use a squad car parked in the same spot to retrace Borden and Reagan's likely movements, and work out that the box could have been switched with another one already in the trunk; while also verifying that there's no Officer Reagan or squad car with the ID of the one that Borden got into. Manning subsequently identifies "Officer Reagan" from mugshots as a hood named Warren Brock; and Ed checks out a used car lot owned by Delaney to find a repainted car of the same make as the squad car. Mark tails Delaney, who's spurred into moving by something that Ironside had put in the paper, to a warehouse. The rest of the team converges on the location, followed by CLE backup. Delaney is spotted leaving the warehouse with a matching package, finds his car quickly surrounded, and is relieved of the package and booked.

_______

The Brady Bunch
"Kelly's Kids"
Originally aired January 4, 1974
Wiki said:
Ken (Ken Berry) and Kathy Kelly (Brooke Bundy), friends of Carol and Mike, plan to adopt a boy named Matt (Todd Lookinland, Mike Lookinland's brother) from a local orphanage. By chance they also adopt Matt's two best friends: Dwayne (William Attmore II), an African American, and Steve (Carey Wong), who is Asian, much to the chagrin of the Kelly family's bigoted neighbor Mrs. Payne (Molly Dodd).

Notes: This is the only episode other than the pilot episode, "The Honeymoon", credited to Sherwood Schwartz. It is a backdoor pilot for a planned series that was never produced. Sherwood Schwartz used the concept for Together We Stand in 1986, which would later relaunch as Nothing Is Easy in 1987.

Berry and Bundy get special guest star credits with moving headshots after the credits. The episode opens with the Kellys at the Brady home announcing their plan to Mike and Carol, while the Brady kids are creating a comical ruckus outside. Cut to the pilot, with the Kellys bringing Matt (who, unlike his brother, is blond) home to show the excited boy his already-toy-equipped room. When getting ready for bed, Matt says prayers for the other kids at the orphanage, noting that Dwayne and Steve are his best friends. Mrs. Payne visits to start trouble just over the first adoption, not wanting kids on her property. As the Kelly parents are getting in bed, Kathy floats the idea of adopting another kid so that Matt won't be lonely. They visit Miss Phillips (Jackie Joseph) at the adoption home the next day, and ask to meet Dwayne and Steve. Afterward they visit the Bradys again for advice, admitting that they were initially taken aback by the boys being of different races, and then talk themselves into deciding to go through with adopting both without giving Mike and Carol a chance to weigh in.

The boys are brought home as a surprise to Matt, and a dialogueless dinner scene ensues. The three boys later get into a rowdy pillow fight over bed arrangements. Ken, who does a vaudeville act at a nightclub, comes in to show the boys how to do the soft shoe. Payne comes over to express her objection to the new development, while insisting that she's not a bigot, and Mr. K shows her the door.

Kathy: She makes Archie Bunker sound like a liberal!​

There's a pee joke when Steve expresses his concern about Dwayne going for a late glass of milk, as Dwayne sleeps above him in a bunk bed. The two of them overhear their parents talking about the community actions Mrs. Payne has threatened to take, which motivates the two boys to get dressed, write a note, and try to sneak out. Matt wakes up, learns of the development, and insists on going with them, declaring that they're the Three Musketeers. The trio crash on the Bradys' lawn furniture, to be found by Greg and brought in to talk to the parents, who call the Kellys and serve hot chocolate. The Kelly parents insist that the family needs to stick together in spite of Payne's threats, Ken declaring that they're the Five Musketeers. Alice comes out in her robe and curlers to be confused by the unfamiliar kids at the family room table.

In a visit of the Kellys to the Brady home in the coda, there's a joke that would probably be considered problematic today, as the Kelly parents show the Brady parents how the boys recolored two of the Musketeers in an illustrated book that the Bradys gave them.

_______

The Odd Couple
"The Moonlighter"
Wiki said:
Oscar moonlights as a short-order cook in a sketchy diner to pay off a debt to Felix.

Myrna meets Mr. Madison at the dockside greasy spoon where he's now working to pay off a gambling debt, so that he can try to multitask by dictating his column to her while he takes orders, which produces jumbled results. Oscar doesn't want Felix to know why he's keeping such late nights, so Felix assumes it's a woman...but Myrna eventually spills the address of the diner without telling him what it's about. When he drops into the den of filth to find his roommate working there, Oscar claims that he was Shanghaied on the street. When Felix insists, Oscar explains that he gambled with money that Felix had given him to buy season tickets for a client.

Felix creates a ruckus that causes Oscar to lose his job, then takes Oscar home to give him a talking-to. Oscar's shirt exhibits apron lines, outside of which it's filthy. Oscar resorts to hocking possessions and donating blood. He also plans to get his job back for a few more days, but Felix insists that he come to work at the photo studio instead. Oscar helps prep a nursery rhyme-themed set (explaining an oversized spoon that Felix was jokingly brandishing at the apartment) for a trio of models...and a cow named Florence. Afterward one of the models invites Oscar to a party, but Felix reveals that part of Oscar's job is stay at the studio with Florence overnight.

Oscar: Look at this, I'm the Midnight Cowboy...​

In gratitude for Felix's help, Oscar surprises Felix by cleaning his room...which doesn't pass inspection when Felix finds all of Oscar's clutter stuffed under the bedspread.

_______

Love, American Style
"Love and the Extra Job / Love and the Flying Finletters / Love and the Golden Worm / Love and the Itchy Condition / Love and the Patrolperson"

In "Love and the Extra Job," Gloria (Tracy Reed) presses fellow college student Julie (Sue Lyon) about the job she's been working, to learn that she pops out of cakes nude. Julie defends it based on the money she makes, but feminist Gloria doesn't understand.

Julie: I'll see you in class tomorrow.
Gloria: Okay. Don't forget your clothes.​

Cut to Julie working a stag party, with her client, best man Buzzy Nolan (Joey Forman), insisting that she get nude, though she gets in the cake wearing a nightie. Julie insists on seeing the groom, Jerry (Frank Bonner), in advance, by which point she's apparently nude, seen from the shoulders up in the cake. She learns that the bride is a fellow student named Janine whom she identifies as a former classmate, then gets into an argument with Jerry about how he doesn't respect her because she pops out of cakes, breaking into tears. Julie cancels the gig, making Jerry turn around as she gets out of the cake...actually still wearing the nightie; and he pays her before she leaves. The next day at school, we learn in a conversation with Gloria that Julie doesn't know Janine as she claimed, and that Jerry ended up getting arrested for popping out of the cake himself. We're left with the impression that avoiding actually popping out of the cake is Julie's SOP.

"Love and the Flying Finletters" opens in an airport cafe where air traffic controller Lennie Corbett (David Spielberg) thinks that his pilot friend Don Finletter (Steve Forrest) is picking up a stewardess, but she turns out to be Don's daughter, Cathy (Skye Aubrey). Having taken an interest in Cathy, Lennie shows up at the apartment that she's moving into looking to swing, but Cathy and her roommate, Sheila Fontaine (Sharon Farrell), put him to work cleaning the shower. Then Don arrives as invited and Sheila takes interest in him; followed by Cathy's mother, Barbara (Abby Dalton), who works in airport personnel, is divorced from Don, and is now seeing a doctor.

Cathy later invites both parents over and makes an excuse to split, having prepared a candlelight dinner for them in an attempt to get them back together. They bicker some over dinner, then over drinks afterward a conversation about Barbara's prospects for marrying the doctor turns into a re-proposal from Don. She's resistant to the idea even while getting romantic with him. Later Cathy comes home from a date with Lennie, and after making an excuse to get him to leave, discovers that her parents are in the bedroom.

"Love and the Golden Worm" includes a noteworthy pairing of guests who are currently co-stars on another show:
LAS15.jpg
LAS16.jpg
Law student Sammy (Frank Michael Liu) visits his father, Lee Chow (Ahn), to find him dressed in traditional robes and talking about a prophecy in the titularly named book of their ancestors, about a seventh son marrying a seventh daughter...and learns that his father has arranged a marriage. Later Hi Ching (Luke) brings over his daughter, Rose (Virginia Wing), who keeps her face hidden. Sammy is persuaded to sign the sacred document when his father feigns heart failure, after which the fathers leave the couple alone. When Rose uncovers her face and talks, it turns out that she's just as modern and incredulous about the arrangement as Sammy is...and she's also already engaged.

The couple show up at the temple in appropriate attire for the ceremony, only for Sammy to declare that they can't get married, as he's been researching the book and argues in detail that the fathers have misinterpreted the book's cryptic language about the silver-haired fox running through the foliage of the feathery matsu plant on the day of the twisted teak root and such, ultimately embroiling the fathers in a dispute over what the book is actually saying.
LAS17.jpg
The couple being off the hook, Rose thanks Sam and goes to meet her fiancé, Johnny (Ernest Harada)...only for him to reveal that they can't get married, because his family also adheres to the book and he doesn't fit the language of the prophecy.

"Love and the Itchy Condition" opens with divorcee Lucy (Marian Mercer) preparing to have over Andrew (Bill Fiore) for a dinner date, while disobeying signs she's left for herself not to scratch. Andrew turns out to be suffering from the same malady, and it's clarified a little too far into the segment that they didn't acquire it together, they met in a doctor's office...and the condition is implied to be psychological. As both are also insomniacs (apparently as a side effect of the itching), Andrew proposes by suggesting that they not sleep together. Cut to the newlyweds experiencing early marital strife, as they've both lost their itchiness on the honeymoon and no longer have anything in common.

Lucy: We promised to love each other in sickness and health. We were fine with the sickness part...who would've thought we'd have trouble with health?​

Cut again to Lucy bringing home a new man, Simon (Mike Wagner), after having split with Andrew. It turns out that she met him in a weight loss group, which clarifies the pattern that started with her first husband, whom she'd met in speech therapy. The segment ends with the implication that the cycle will continue, despite Lucy's assurance that the two of them have so much in common.

In "Love and the Patrolperson," officer Charlie Gibbs (Kenneth Mars) visits his usual coffee shop, expressing his frustration to the proprietor, Harry (Al Molinaro), about how his old partner got promoted to detective after stumbling into identifying a known criminal, and how he's now saddled with a female rookie, Pat O'Brien (Anita Gillette). After she joins him, we see that his chauvinism is exacerbated by his annoyance with her eagerness and penchant for quoting the book. History repeats itself when she happens to notice that a man sitting alone at a table (Bob Hoy) matches the description of another wanted criminal, Mad Dog Middleman. After Charlie leaves Pat to keep an eye on the suspect while he calls in...

Charlie: Look, Wonder Woman, you stay here, I'll go radio for a make on this guy. I don't want no false arrests.​

...they lose him when he slips out after a visit to the men's room. After Harry mentions that the guy they're so interested in is a regular customer, each patrolperson separately asks him for more details.

The patrolpeople bump into each other when they both show up for Mad Dog's next visit in plain clothes. Charlie gains a new appreciation for Pat when he sees how she looks off-duty. She chats him up about astrology, and it turns out that they share a favorite drink and, as the evening continues, a favorite song. They're so engrossed in each other that they almost don't notice when Mad Dog shows up. Harry blabs that the dancing couple are cops, which causes Mad Dog to pull his pistol and clock Charlie. When Middleman turns to Pat, she judos him into submission and arrests him, cuffing their wrists together.

Cut to Charlie arriving at Harry's to express his frustration that Pat's now also been promoted to detective, and is working with his previous partner. Pat drops in with the report she's written up, which recommends Charlie for a special commendation for allegedly having played possum to lull Middleman into a false sense of security...but Charlie admits that he just got taken by surprise. Pat then makes a show of pretending to arrest Charlie on a facetious charge, cuffing him to her wrist, then clarifies that she plans to take him home rather than to the station.

Harry: Just like in movies. Boy meets person, boy loses person, boy gets person.​

_______

Last edited:
Well, it was an older entry so probably not. Both reactors liked it, the woman liked it more. He prefer "louder" songs and focuss more on instruments than lyrics.
That's good. These days, it seems like people are more likely to call it "cheesy." Or "sentimental," heaven forbid. :rommie:

zoning commissioner Eddie Huffman (if it were that John Lennon, I'd be squeeing)
Hmm. This is his only IMDB credit. Something fishy is going on here.

amateur filmmaker Rick McDivitt (Perry King) is filming the surfing of his brother
This seems very familiar. Of course, it is Hawaii, so....

he manages to TV Fu Danno, but finds in the hall that he's brought a knife to a Ben fight.
A little moment in the sun for Ben.

but also causes them to loosen their grip on Koa, who seems like a less likely suspect despite blood of Huffman's type having been found in a difficult-to-clean area of his knife.
It seems unlikely for them to make that mistake.

Rick panics and splits before they get there, but they identify him via the DMV...
Rick is not cut out for a life of crime. :rommie:

Rick clears his conscience by cutting up the card and resolving to compensate the owner with the proceeds of his film.
And he agrees. :rommie:

Neither brother makes it.
That took a turn for the grim.

Greggs is found dead in the car, but Tanner is pulled out for booking before the vehicle meets its obligatory end.
That was a bit lackluster. A couple of generic hoods and a bureaucrat who is vaguely "on the take." And what happened to Koa? Did they let him go?

a swarm of ants working on the box leads the Chief and Reese to find that the heroin was replaced with malt sugar.
That's cute. :rommie:

dope dealer named Jimmy Slick
This show loves the funky hoodlum names. :rommie:

And Mark finds no sign of the heroin at Borden's cabin.
Lots of ants, though....

another junkie, Tommy (Kenneth O'Brien), who's also waiting for a big fix.
The junkies in this town are a patient lot.

Reese, who's in debt from his wife being in the hospital.
That seems like it should be a major plot point. He's an important supporting character.

also verifying that there's no Officer Reagan or squad car with the ID of the one that Borden got into.
I don't know, this seems highly unlikely to work for many reasons. It also seems like a complex plan for just a box of heroin.

Afterward they visit the Bradys again for advice, admitting that they were initially taken aback by the boys being of different races, and then talk themselves into deciding to go through with adopting both without giving Mike and Carol a chance to weigh in.
It's a little jarring to see something so topical on The Brady Bunch.

Kathy: She makes Archie Bunker sound like a liberal!
Definitely jarring to hear the name Archie Bunker invoked on The Brady Bunch. :rommie:

In a visit of the Kellys to the Brady home in the coda, there's a joke that would probably be considered problematic today, as the Kelly parents show the Brady parents how the boys recolored two of the Musketeers in an illustrated book that the Bradys gave them.
You mean like a Blackface thing? Maybe. It doesn't take much to set people off these days.

Myrna meets Mr. Madison at the dockside greasy spoon where he's now working to pay off a gambling debt
I think Mr Madison has a serious problem. :rommie:

When Felix insists, Oscar explains that he gambled with money that Felix had given him to buy season tickets for a client.
Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Oscar resorts to hocking possessions and donating blood.
Is this still a sitcom or what? :rommie:

Oscar: Look at this, I'm the Midnight Cowboy...
I kind of expected him to trade the cow for some magic beans.

In gratitude for Felix's help, Oscar surprises Felix by cleaning his room...which doesn't pass inspection when Felix finds all of Oscar's clutter stuffed under the bedspread.
Not bad for Oscar, though. He knows he's been a bad boy.

Jerry (Frank Bonner)
Herb again.

We're left with the impression that avoiding actually popping out of the cake is Julie's SOP.
Apparently this one was for the parents watching with their kids. :rommie:

Don Finletter (Steve Forrest)
S.W.A.T. Also, not Jock Ewing.

Later Cathy comes home from a date with Lennie, and after making an excuse to get him to leave, discovers that her parents are in the bedroom.
That really did not live up to its potential for hijinks.

["Love and the Golden Worm" includes a noteworthy pairing of guests who are currently co-stars on another show:
Nice! That obviously had to be deliberate.

When Rose uncovers her face and talks, it turns out that she's just as modern and incredulous about the arrangement as Sammy is...and she's also already engaged.
There we go. This one's better already. :rommie:

only for Sammy to declare that they can't get married, as he's been researching the book and argues in detail that the fathers have misinterpreted the book's cryptic language about the silver-haired fox running through the foliage of the feathery matsu plant on the day of the twisted teak root and such, ultimately embroiling the fathers in a dispute over what the book is actually saying.
I bet they had fun with that. :rommie:

only for him to reveal that they can't get married, because his family also adheres to the book and he doesn't fit the language of the prophecy.
And a nice twist ending.

The segment ends with the implication that the cycle will continue, despite Lucy's assurance that the two of them have so much in common.
Cute satire of contemporary dating, but it fell a bit flat.

the proprietor, Harry (Al Molinaro)
I wonder if he has a cousin in Milwaukee.

his annoyance with her eagerness and penchant for quoting the book.
Wait till he gets caught with his britches down.

another wanted criminal, Mad Dog Middleman.
Sounds like a refugee from Ironside.

Charlie: Look, Wonder Woman, you stay here, I'll go radio for a make on this guy. I don't want no false arrests.
He's kind of by the book himself.

Cut to Charlie arriving at Harry's to express his frustration that Pat's now also been promoted to detective, and is working with his previous partner.
Perhaps Charlie should see that the problem is with himself. :rommie:

Pat then makes a show of pretending to arrest Charlie on a facetious charge, cuffing him to her wrist, then clarifies that she plans to take him home rather than to the station.
Cute, and slightly kinky.

Harry: Just like in movies. Boy meets person, boy loses person, boy gets person.
Shouldn't that be "person meets person?" :rommie:

Hmm. This is his only IMDB credit. Something fishy is going on here.
It's not unusual for minor roles on H5O to not have an IMDb history outside of the show. Presumably they were using local talent. Often such actors have distinctly Hawaiian names.

It seems unlikely for them to make that mistake.
They were playing Five-O as uncharacteristically dumb at this point. The baddies also acted oddly clueless despite have a preponderance of clues regarding the identities of who was at the beach at the time of the murder.

That was a bit lackluster. A couple of generic hoods and a bureaucrat who is vaguely "on the take." And what happened to Koa? Did they let him go?
Good question. I may have missed something, but they seemed oddly unconcerned with the actual hitman once they were onto Tanner.

The junkies in this town are a patient lot.
They were acting more desperate.

That seems like it should be a major plot point. He's an important supporting character.
Yeah, the set-up for that was very blink and miss it.

I don't know, this seems highly unlikely to work for many reasons. It also seems like a complex plan for just a box of heroin.
It was worth a lot on the street.

You mean like a Blackface thing?
Yep...and yellow.

Herb again.
And I didn't recognize him again...this time seen much better.

Also, not Jock Ewing.
Had to look that up.

I bet they had fun with that. :rommie:
That moment was also played in slow motion.

Cute satire of contemporary dating, but it fell a bit flat.
Yeah, this one seemed to meander without having much of a payoff.

Shouldn't that be "person meets person?" :rommie:
In the segment, she was referred to as a patrolperson, while he insisted on being referred to as a patrolman.

I meant to mention earlier that David Soul died a few days ago. I didn't find out until several days later because it seems to have been largely ignored by the media. :(

It's not unusual for minor roles on H5O to not have an IMDb history outside of the show. Presumably they were using local talent. Often such actors have distinctly Hawaiian names.
That makes sense. But I wonder if there's a Hawaiian Paul, George, and Ringo, too. :rommie:

They were playing Five-O as uncharacteristically dumb at this point. The baddies also acted oddly clueless despite have a preponderance of clues regarding the identities of who was at the beach at the time of the murder.
The show really seems to vary wildly in its writing quality.

They were acting more desperate.
"Tracking says it will be delivered by 9pm!"

Yeah, the set-up for that was very blink and miss it.
And we'll probably never hear about it again.

It was worth a lot on the street.
I guess so. :rommie:

Yep...and yellow.
I'd like to say I disagree, but my opinion of humanity is at kind of a low ebb. :rommie:

Had to look that up.
It was very weird. It all led up to Bobby returning in the shower, which I'm sure you've heard about.

That moment was also played in slow motion.
Nice. :rommie:

In the segment, she was referred to as a patrolperson, while he insisted on being referred to as a patrolman.
Ah, okay.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

Star Trek
"The Eye of the Beholder"
Originally aired January 5, 1974
Wiki said:
The disappearance of a scientific team lures the USS Enterprise to investigate near Lactra VII. The starship Ariel is located there, abandoned, with its captain having transported to the planet's surface.

Captain's log, stardate 5501.2: We are orbiting the planet Lactra VII. Our mission is to discover there whereabouts or fate of a six-member science crew. Voice contact having yielded nothing, a landing party beamed aboard to see if the deserted ship's log and computers could give us any information.

Kirk is in disbelief when he watches a log of the ship's captain, Lt. Cmdr. Tom Markel, saying that he plans to beam down with the remaining crew to investigate the disappearance of a missing landing party. The Big Three beam down to be attacked by a lake creature, which they stun with phasers. Kirk then attempts to hail the crew of the Ariel via communicator and receives a non-verbal signal in response.
Afterward, the landing party notices that both the creature and the surrounding terrain resemble ones from Canopus III. Then they express bewilderment at a rain forest environment immediately outside the desert. The purity of the water leads Spock to realize that the environment is terraformed. Next they're attacked by flying dragon creatures--because they gotta use that annoying Filmation pterodactyl shriek--which they drive away with phasers, only to be nabbed by slug-like creatures and taken to a city.

The landing party are confined in a cell; Spock senses telepathy being used by their abductors, and that the aliens are advanced far beyond them; and they soon find that they appear to be confined in a zoo. They're deposited in an environment where they meet Markel and biologist Randi Bryce (Barrett), who report that the original Ariel landing party of three are dead, and the remaining crew member, navigator Nancy Randolph, is bedridden with a fever. After getting the lay of the land, the Starfleet officers focus their thoughts on McCoy's medical kit so the aliens will give it to them to help Randolph.

This method of communication having proven successful, Spock devises a plan to have a crew member feign illness and the rest of the group think about needing a communicator...

As the Enterprise departs, Spock receives a telepathic message that the Federation species will be welcome back to the planet in twenty or thirty of the aliens' centuries.

_______

Emergency!
"Inferno"
IMDb said:
John and Roy are disappointed when they are the only squad not called to a major brushfire.

Roy's making "eggs lupin" for the crew's breakfast when the station and several other units are called to a brush fire in an expensive residential area. As they're driving to the scene, the dispatcher recalls Squad 51 to the station, informing them that another paramedic squad will be handling the brush fire. Back at the station, Roy and Johnny watch coverage of the fire on TV and get excited when the alarm sounds...but they're called to Rampart, where Dix has gotten her hand stuck in a coffee machine dispenser in the staff lounge. Roy helps the embarrassed nurse to work it out, then Johnny pops on the TV to catch more coverage, even as patients from the area are brought to the hospital, including burnt firefighters.

The paramedics listen pensively to the radio traffic as they drive back to the station, and are assigned to an attorney who fell unconscious during a trial at the federal courthouse. The prosecutor (Bill Andes) helps the paramedics by performing CPR, and the judge (Jack Manning) reports that the defense attorney has previously had a massive heart attack. The paramedics stabilize him and he's transported to Rampart...just in time, according to Brackett. At the hospital, Roy sees Susan (Beth Brickell), the wife of a firefighter he knows, distraughtly pacing around in the waiting area, and learns that her husband, Deke (Jack Hogan), was injured by a burning house beam falling on him while he was working at the brush fire site. Roy has a supportive talk with her in Brackett's office.

The paramedics return to the station to eat Roy's eggs and watch the coverage. They've just expressed their acceptance of not being assigned to the fire when they finally get the call and jump into action. Once on the scene, they're disappointed to end up sitting at the base camp. As they're watching a firefighter in charge being questioned by reporters, Engine 51 arrives at the rear area and they treat Chet, who's suffering from soot in an eye. The squad is then assigned to a canyon where a tracked fire vehicle, Sprite 18, has overturned, trapping its driver. Finding the road blocked by a fallen tree, they proceed to the scene on foot, where they use leverage to free the conscious firefighter.

The paramedics and Sprite 18 find themselves cut off by a fire, which they attempt to fend off with shoveled dirt while calling for a helicopter water drop. As the Engine 51 crew fight their way down the canyon, the trio take refuge in a dug shelter until they can be pulled up and out.

As the Station 51 crew are enjoying a respite, the squad is called to aide a person with a sprained hand.

IMDb said:
The brush fire footage used in this episode was from an incident in Los Angeles called the "Crenshaw Fire," which burned 925 acres in Rancho Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills, California on June 22, 1973. The fire was started by two children setting off homemade fireworks, and rapidly expanded, destroying 12 homes.

The fire was ten miles southwest of the City of Carson, which was the location of both the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center (which stood in for "Rampart General Hospital"), and Los Angeles County Fire Station 127 (which was used as "Station 51").

Realizing that there was an opportunity for footage that could be used in a future episode, Universal quickly sent a film crew along with both Engine 51 and Squad 51 to film stock footage of the units racing to the scene of an active brush fire. A helicopter was also rented to shoot aerial shots of "Rampart General Hospital" with the Crenshaw Fire raging in the background. Actual firefighting footage was sourced from news channels covering the fire.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"WJM Tries Harder"
Wiki said:
Mary starts to have doubts about WJM's relatively small-time operations when she dates the anchorman from the Twin Cities' top-rated station.

Rhoda's present as Mary's preparing to have Channel 8 news anchor Ross Nelson (Anthony Eisley), whom she met at the awards banquet, over for dinner. After Ross arrives, Mary's jealous to learn that Rhoda watches his program. Mary later drops by the Channel 8 newsroom, where's she's shown around by Bill Bradford (Ned Wertimer, whose character is billed as Bill Brown), and is impressed with their higher-budget operation, which includes a wall of monitors via which they keep an eye on their competitors--but not WJM, as they consider Ted to qualify as distracting entertainment. Mary overhears a scoop about a sinking freighter and tries to call it in to her station, but she gets Ted. Mary later confronts Lou about the situation.

Mary: Don't you ever ask yourself why we are always last in the ratings?
Lou: Yes, and I've come up with what I think is a very good explanation. Fewer people watch us.​

When Ross drops by the newsroom, Lou realizes that Mary's embarrassed about WJM's shortcomings, and argues that people make a newsroom, not fancy equipment. Mary's self-consciousness is evident as she tries to show Ross around the newsroom. Ted is intimidated at the sight of Nelson and ducks out after a failed attempt to make small talk. Lou shows Nelson out when Murray comes in with what sounds like a scoop about a collapsed bridge...but it turns out that Murray saw it on Channel 8.

Lou has a conference with Mary and Murray, which Ted crashes, about how to spend a budget increase that he's gotten from the station manager. Ted wants a raise; Murray wants an electric typewriter; but Lou goes with Mary's idea to hire college students as stringers. Mary starts to become annoyed with Ross after he makes light of this development. Mary's idea pays off when one of the stringers gets an inside scoop about a teachers' strike ending and Lou decides to run with it...despite an anecdote about how, early in his career, he took a similar risk by printing an unconfirmed story about the Japanese bombing San Diego.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"Oh, Brother"
Wiki said:
Jerry's brother (Raul Julia) starts stealing his patients.

Jerry excitedly tells Bob that his adopted younger brother, Greg Robinson, has just graduated dental school and will be coming to work in Jerry's office to help get him started in the business. When Greg shows up at the office, he hits on Emily, who's sitting in while Carol's in the little girls' room. Later Bob and Emily discuss Greg's overbearing nature and how Jerry seems to become Greg's shadow and yes-man..."sort of like Sammy Davis Jr. around Frank Sinatra." Jerry eventually visits Bob's office to talk about the situation, though Bob has to help him get on the subject, and suggests that Jerry find Greg a position in a different office.

Jerry: Maybe they need a dentist on Skylab!​

Then Greg bursts in to announce that he's gotten his own office...right down the hall.

Some time later, Howard guilts Emily into having him for dinner, only for Bob to bring home Jerry, forcing her to split a dinner for two between four people. Jerry talks about how Greg's been taking away his business with gimmicks to attract the kids. Back at the office, Bob's seeing a patient named Miss Rossi (Rhoda Gemignani), who has so much trouble expressing her issues with men through her histrionic sobbing that Bob fills in the blanks for her. The session is repeatedly interrupted by a developing fight between Jerry and Greg over a retaliatory action taken by the former--writing nasty things on Greg's wall-filling blackboard--and Miss Rossi ends up having a talk with Carol outside. In a continuation of a gag from earlier, both brothers put their fists through Bob's door in anger.

In the coda, the brothers have had a good talk in Bob's office, which includes coming to an understanding about Jerry needing his space from Greg.

_______

"The Eye of the Beholder"
Kind of a random title.

Poor McCoy. I can imagine them talking about this in the lounge later. "And all we could see was his legs kicking around. Hahaha." :rommie:

Next they're attacked by flying dragon creatures--because they gotta use that annoying Filmation pterodactyl shriek
It's in the contract. :rommie:

only to be nabbed by slug-like creatures and taken to a city.
They're pretty fast for slugs.

they soon find that they appear to be confined in a zoo.
There are a lot of alien zoos out there in the galaxy.

I love Scotty and the slug. :rommie:

As the Enterprise departs, Spock receives a telepathic message that the Federation species will be welcome back to the planet in twenty or thirty of the aliens' centuries.
It would be funny if their centuries are a week long. :rommie: Overall, this was a pretty good one. The zoo trope is overused, but I like how the aliens were benign and just let everybody go when they got all the info about the Federation. They even had some nice Spock-McCoy banter. This could have worked as a regular episode.

As they're driving to the scene, the dispatcher recalls Squad 51 to the station, informing them that another paramedic squad will be handling the brush fire.
That seems odd. You'd think they'd want their top units at a fire of that magnitude.

they're called to Rampart, where Dix has gotten her hand stuck in a coffee machine dispenser in the staff lounge.
Oh, come on! :rommie:

an attorney who fell unconscious during a trial at the federal courthouse.
"Objection, Your Honor. Counsel is playing on the sympathies of the jury."

The prosecutor (Bill Andes) helps the paramedics by performing CPR
That's kind of cool.

her husband, Deke (Jack Hogan), was injured by a burning house beam falling on him while he was working at the brush fire site.
Ultimate fate unknown.

The paramedics and Sprite 18 find themselves cut off by a fire, which they attempt to fend off with shoveled dirt while calling for a helicopter water drop. As the Engine 51 crew fight their way down the canyon, the trio take refuge in a dug shelter until they can be pulled up and out.
That sounds kind of exciting.

As the Station 51 crew are enjoying a respite, the squad is called to aide a person with a sprained hand.
That ended rather anticlimactically. It was an interesting idea to build an episode around all that real wildfire footage, but I think they rushed it. They probably should have saved it till the next season or something.

"WJM Tries Harder"
Presumably this is a reference to the old Avis slogan, "We Try Harder."

Mary later drops by the Channel 8 newsroom, where's she's shown around by Bill Bradford
Actually, I remember seeing this one while babysitting broken Mom.

Lou: Yes, and I've come up with what I think is a very good explanation. Fewer people watch us.
Lou doesn't overthink things. :rommie:

Lou shows Nelson out when Murray comes in with what sounds like a scoop about a collapsed bridge...
Sinking freighters, collapsing bridges... is this Minneapolis or Metropolis? :rommie:

early in his career, he took a similar risk by printing an unconfirmed story about the Japanese bombing San Diego.
This explains why he's working at the lowest-rated station in Minneapolis. :rommie:

I guess we'll never find out if the crew of that freighter survived....

his adopted younger brother, Greg Robinson
Gomez Addams II, I think.

Jerry seems to become Greg's shadow and yes-man..."sort of like Sammy Davis Jr. around Frank Sinatra."
Sort of like anybody around Frank Sinatra. Who wants to end up wearing concrete galoshes? :rommie:

Jerry: Maybe they need a dentist on Skylab!
Nice topical reference.

Jerry talks about how Greg's been taking away his business with gimmicks to attract the kids.
Isn't this the guy who walks around a giant Mr Tooth?

In a continuation of a gag from earlier, both brothers put their fists through Bob's door in anger.
I actually remember that, although I don't remember Jerry's brother.

In the coda, the brothers have had a good talk in Bob's office, which includes coming to an understanding about Jerry needing his space from Greg.
Space. Skylab. I get it. :rommie:

Somewhere in a train of thought it occurred to me that both stars of The Odd Couple, Tony Randall and Jack Klugman, are no longer with us. Then I realized that it's not unexpected that main cast members from shows that were running 50 years ago would be gone. Then I wondered how many of them are still with us.

Going by the shows on this year's weekly "boob tube" lists--including a few shows that I'm not actively watching in-season--here are the survivors listed with current ages and in order of seniority:

Bob Newhart (94)
William Shatner (92)
Robert Fuller (90)
Alan Alda (87)
George Takei (86)
Loretta Swit (86)
Peter Bonerz (85)
Shannon Farnon (82)
Kent McCord (81)
Gary Burghoff (80)
Kevin Tighe (79)
Randolph Mantooth (78)
Frank Welker (77)
Sherry Alberoni (77)
Rob Reiner (76)
Sally Struthers (76)
Barry Williams (69)
Maureen McCormick (67)
Christopher Knight (66)
Eve Plumb (65)
Mike Lookinland (63)
Susan Olsen (62)​

Honorable mentions:
Jamie Farr (89; not currently in main cast)
Radames Pera (63; not in main cast)​

Most recently passed:
Nichelle Nichols (d. July 2022 at 89)
Betty White (d. Dec. 2021 at 99; not currently in main cast)
Al Harrington (d. Sept. 2021 at 85)
Ed Asner (d. Aug. 2021 at 91)
Gavin MacLeod (d. May 2021 at 90)​

Shows with no survivors in their '73-'74 main casts:
Hawaii Five-O
Ironside
The Odd Couple
The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Note that former Ironside main cast member Barbara Anderson is still around (78-79).

Kind of a random title.
I think it referred in general to the aliens' perception of humanoids. More specifically, there was a reference to the aliens finding the humanoids unattractive.

Poor McCoy. I can imagine them talking about this in the lounge later. "And all we could see was his legs kicking around. Hahaha." :rommie:
This is where McCoy can be grateful that Spock's not the type.

This could have worked as a regular episode.
Except for realizing the alien captors and other captives.

That seems odd. You'd think they'd want their top units at a fire of that magnitude.
Squad 51 is one of several paramedic squads active in the city. They're not singled out in the show as being exceptional among their peers. And somebody's gotta see to the other calls.

Ultimate fate unknown.
Unless I missed it, yeah.

That ended rather anticlimactically. It was an interesting idea to build an episode around all that real wildfire footage, but I think they rushed it. They probably should have saved it till the next season or something.
I get the impression that they did what they could with it without blowing the budget on a location-shot TV movie...they found an excuse to plug it into the usual formula of multiple vignettes per episode.

Presumably this is a reference to the old Avis slogan, "We Try Harder."
Ah...vaguely rings a bell.

Sinking freighters, collapsing bridges... is this Minneapolis or Metropolis? :rommie:
:D

I guess we'll never find out if the crew of that freighter survived....
Actually, it was mentioned that they'd been evacuated.

Gomez Addams II, I think.
Had to look it up, but yep.

Isn't this the guy who walks around a giant Mr Tooth?
Greg was just taking the kid-friendly thing that much further to draw business.

I actually remember that, although I don't remember Jerry's brother.
The first time Jerry put his fist through the door, it was set up by a reference to Jerry having done it when he talked to Bob after finding out he was adopted a couple years previously. Eventually my memory jogged that Jerry having been adopted came up last season, when the Hartleys were considering adopting.

Space. Skylab. I get it. :rommie:
Not intentional.

Last edited:
Back